ICS vs JB

Like JB?

• Total voters

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
i've been seeing mixed reviews about JB. just wanted to see who has regrets about updating and who doesn't. (basically trying to take a poll)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I always find it silly to be afraid of new and improved things. Sure it may seem to some that JB isn't an improvement, but I assure you Google would not have spent the time and money to release a different operating system if it wasn't an improvement. You just have to experience maybe a few growing pains and changes. But it's always been worth it in my experience.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I can live with the " growing pains and changes " and understand that Google is trying to give us all a better end user experience. I can deal with some apps not working properly yet or not having the notification bubble on the lock screen etc. My problem is with how ridiculously fast the battery drains now with the same exact settings it had on ICS. I took the time to write all of my settings down, did a factory reset and then took the update so i was working with a clean slate. In fact I have done several resets and did the battery condtion thing to no avail. I hope this will be fixed with the next update.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Speaking strictly from an OS point of view, there's little doubt that JB is "better" than ICS. The poll question should be "Has the update improved your device, or created new issues?" Choices?: "It's great!" ; "I've had issues" ; "I haven't installed it"

I'm not sure, maybe these questions have been answered already, but I think it's misleading and na?ve to think that this is an ICS vs. JB argument, the real argument is whether or not this particular update for this particular phone was deployed properly. I'm running the current stock OS, but the difference is I'm rooted and did a clean install rather than installing via the Verizon OTA update -- and I assure you my battery life is fantastic and I'm having none of the common complaints I've read on this site from folks who have updated via OTA are experiencing.

I've already gone on record that I think Samsung and/or Verizon shouldn't just push over-the-air updates with little customer warnings, instructions, or options. I obviously feel that the only way to guarantee the best experience is to root and take matters into your own hands, but I also understand that's not the route for everyone (nor should it be expected to be).

If you've done the update and having issues, do a factory reset and see if that helps. Often times it does, and I can almost assure you VZW customer service will have you do that anyway, so may as well say yourself a phone call, bite the bullet, and do the reset. Personally, I feel 95%+ of the issues folks are having are related to old and incompatible app data.

If you somehow haven't done the update yet and want to (or just want some good advice for future OTAs): Backup what you can -- make sure Google sync is working and your contacts are backed up, etc. Then, do a factory reset BEFORE you update. The less personal data and app data you have on your device, the better chance you have to get a clean install.

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Speaking strictly from an OS point of view, there's little doubt that JB is "better" than ICS. The poll question should be "Has the update improved your device, or created new issues?" Choices?: "It's great!" ; "I've had issues" ; "I haven't installed it"

I'm not sure, maybe these questions have been answered already, but I think it's misleading and na?ve to think that this is an ICS vs. JB argument, the real argument is whether or not this particular update for this particular phone was deployed properly. I'm running the current stock OS, but the difference is I'm rooted and did a clean install rather than installing via the Verizon OTA update -- and I assure you my battery life is fantastic and I'm having none of the common complaints I've read on this site from folks who have updated via OTA are experiencing.

I've already gone on record that I think Samsung and/or Verizon shouldn't just push over-the-air updates with little customer warnings, instructions, or options. I obviously feel that the only way to guarantee the best experience is to root and take matters into your own hands, but I also understand that's not the route for everyone (nor should it be expected to be).

If you've done the update and having issues, do a factory reset and see if that helps. Often times it does, and I can almost assure you VZW customer service will have you do that anyway, so may as well say yourself a phone call, bite the bullet, and do the reset. Personally, I feel 95%+ of the issues folks are having are related to old and incompatible app data.

If you somehow haven't done the update yet and want to (or just want some good advice for future OTAs): Backup what you can -- make sure Google sync is working and your contacts are backed up, etc. Then, do a factory reset BEFORE you update. The less personal data and app data you have on your device, the better chance you have to get a clean install.

funny you mentioned this, just got the update this morning. seems like the main concern is battery, so we'll see how it does today and into the night.

thanks guys

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I did a factory reset after I installed JB and it's been great for me, no battery life issues at all. This thread is the first place I've come across where it's suggested to reset before updating. Is there a difference when you reset, I understand why you'd do it.

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking to ics until there is an update for jellybean to fix the issues. Besides I prefer the better compatibility for adobe flash.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
When i got my Galaxy S3 i had already heard about Jelly bean and followed closely any news i heard about it for a long time. I was very excited for it. When the update finally rolled out I was very excited to do it, but also quite a bit apprehensive. I had resolved to wait and see what other users experiences with it were before i downloaded... That lasted about a half an hour and I just said to hell with it and downloaded it. I was not disappointed.
Since doing the update i'm one of the few people who have had no issues with it.
I didn't do a factory reset or anything either. Needless to say my phone is nearly stock, i don't use ROMs and iam not rooted. I just have some third party apps and a good launcher.
Jelly bean works amazingly for me. My battery life is, if anything, better than before. I love alll the new little upgrades they put in all over the place, and i absolutely LOVE Google now. I use it a lot.
Overall, i think the update was awesome. I look forward to more updates in the future.
I guess i just got lucky.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
jelly bean. my battery life now sucks. have not done a reset. do not want to redo everything but if i could return to ics i would

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
jelly bean. my battery life now sucks. have not done a reset. do not want to redo everything but if i could return to ics i would

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Doing a factory reset can be a PITA, but here are some tips to make it as easy as possible:

1. Make sure your contacts are synced to Google
2. My Backup -- a great app that can help backup and restore a bunch of stuff on your Android device, primarily SMS text messages (if you're rooted it can do a lot more, but even without root, it's a good app to have)
3. Use a 3rd party launcher -- I used to hate using 3rd party launchers because they made the device seem sluggish and would break widgets and not work well with OEM UIs, but today's devices have plenty of RAM and processing power to run them flawlessly, and most of the 3rd party launcher apps have been refined to run great alongside OEM UIs like Touchwiz. I've been using NOVA launcher and love it. But the #1 reason I prefer to use Nova over the stock TW launcher is because I can easily backup and restore my home screen configurations after doing a data wipe -- which is much easier than trying to re-do my phone layout manually.

If you're not rooted, the only thing that can really suck about doing a factory reset is losing app data like game progress...but pretty much everything else can be backed up and restored easily, and I can almost guarantee that if your phone is running crappy since the upgrade, doing the factory reset will make fix a lot of the problems.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I was skeptical about updating to JB at first and then one day at 2am my phone woke me up out of my sleep resetting itself and the update was forced to my phone on its own after I rejected it. Had horrible battery life and some files on my SD card were causing "media" to eat up my battery. After a factory reset like suggested in a few threads, I've had no complaints about JB. I don't notice any major significant changes, just a few little things here and there but definitely no complaints (knock on wood). I'd say go for it and update. It'll probably force itself on your phone at some point any ol way.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Haven't bothered to update. Based on comments I've read about the JB update for the GS3, I doubt I will.

ICS is running fine, no need to fix what isn't broken.

-Suntan

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I guess the horror stories are dominating the discussion here. My JB experience has been great. It's just like ICS, but faster and with Google Now. My battery life is not noticeably different from ICS, and everything has worked fine for me.:)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Rockin' JB 4.2.2 on my Nexus 4!

Uhh... Thanks for the input, but I think you posted in the wrong forum. 4.2.2 stock on the n4 gets rid of lte, I don't think that most here would even want an update that disabled lte.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Uhh... Thanks for the input, but I think you posted in the wrong forum. 4.2.2 stock on the n4 gets rid of lte, I don't think that most here would even want an update that disabled lte.

It disabled LTE on a phone that in MOST markets in the US, LTE wasn't supported in the first place. When 5.0 comes out guess what... LTE won't be supported on the Nexus 4 either. LTE is not all that WOW anyway.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I had upgrading from ICS was significant battery drain. However, after about a month or so, my battery life improved on JB and is about the same as it was prior. Weird. I did not perform a wipe (I dont believe in doing it). My assumption is, once the software my apps and the way I use my phone settled the battery adjusted. JB is a worth while upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie