Google maps eats battery even if I never opened it ???

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Any ideas on how I can not have google maps chewing thru battery even if I didnt open it that day . It used 17 percent of my battery so far today and this is without the gps being on . Any ideas to limit this thru a setting that I am missing or something

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Turn off your GPS on the quick settings in your notification bar. I found that doing that really helped my battery life. That way it isn't Co stantly updating my location, thus, eating battery.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
In settings,do you have any of the report, share or history settings turned on?
If you do, those are going to run in the background and use some power.

wowser

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I also think it is because you have location reporting turned on in Google maps settings. I had these disabled and when i upgraded to Jelly Bean these were turned back on by default and were eating my battery.

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas I did check and had location reporting selected afyer the jb update. Good call

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I believe Google maps is running because Google Now, which is now installed on our phones after JB, uses Maps for most of it's data and drive times.

tpavlic

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas I did check and had location reporting selected afyer the jb update. Good call

I've not tried it myself, but another option might be the app "Backitude" in the Play Store. From what I understand, you set Maps to manually set location and then Backitude actually takes over for the updating. Backitude can do more battery-smart location updating, like "stealing" location information (e.g., when you check in via LinkedIn or actually choose to open Maps, it will cache the resulting locations and update your "manual" location automatically).

stevenhglee#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Maps has consistently been running the highest battery consumption for me at 31%, even after fresh restart. Location reporting/history under Maps is checked off but I keep Google Location Services and GPS on. I would really like to find a solution to rectify this instead of having to turn those functions off.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you share your location with Latitude? You may need to turn it off within Maps. It will continue to run without using Maps to update your location.