Verizon Galaxy S3 frying SD card

Ouzo92

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had my S3 for a while now and haven't had any issues with it, however, just last week my 32 GB sd card randomly quit working and apparently wiped all the data from it. I can't get any device to recognize it (including my tablet and computer through a card reader). I have no idea what I could have done to cause this, I do at times use micro usb cords that aren't Samsung cords, but I don't think that would cause this. I have two questions, has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to at least get that data back? I don't care to buy a new card and chalk it up to a faulty card, but I'd like to get as much of that data back as I can. I tried to find a previous thread for this issue but I didn't see one, so if this is a repeat please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

joggy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like it's a faulty SD card. If you can't recognize the card in any reader, you're not going to be able to recover any data.

Worth a shot though are a couple of applications that may help:

- Recuva
- PC Inspector

You'll do this via PC. Good luck.

Ouzo92

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I figured it was just a faulty card. Thanks for the links. I will give them a shot and let y'all know if any of them work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

howie96

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Just FYI this is not an isolated incident. The S3's are appearing to have a problem resulting in frying the SD-cards. The particular card that seems to be effected is the San-disk Micro SD HC cards. (This the card you had?) I believe the only solution is to have the card replaced with a regular Micro SD through San-disk. This is a widespread occurrence.

droidrider

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I transfered my 16G San-disk Micro SD HC card from my Fascinate to my new s3 last week with 14 Gigs of music and thankfully it's working fine still.
How long before it starts acting up?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My GS3 ate a new SanDisk 32GB Class 10 micro SDHC card in about a month. I was not thrilled. Is it just this card or is something causing excessive read-write cycles?

mehlord

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
This was the exact card I had, that suddenly became unreadable, no matter in phone or other devices. I sent it back to amazon for replacement, should I contact SanDisk directly?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a SanDisk 32g SDHC go bad in my GS3. Called SD, and they replaced it.
I now have a SDXC 64g card in the phone. I did not format it, but pulled the battery out before putting it in.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
COULD be the SD card, but it's not strictly a SanDisk problem. I've had three different SD cards fried in two different S3 phones, and only one of them was SanDisk. My current S3 (my THIRD) uses a Samsung card and has not had any problems with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995