Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

Sparktweek

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Last night at 1am, I was awoken by the sound of my Galaxy S3 restarting. I first thought that my battery had died, and it was powering off. But no...it was restarting, after installing Jelly Bean. I purposefully have been avoiding the JB update so that I can tether with FoxFi (with which I have had great success). I know most updates have to be accepted by the user, and I have DECLINED the JB update when it first came out in December. Is it logical to assume that VZW has the power to FORCE UPDATE our phones, to accept the latest update? (I know I surely did not update my phone in my sleep!) If so..many people are going to be a tad upset.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First I've heard of this. I can see Play Store apps if you have the automatic updates enabled but system (OS/firmware/profile) have always been user initiated.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This is actually not unheard of. I remember with my previous phone, the HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon starting doing this with the MR2 update. I believe I even seen reports of this already happening for this GS3 update, which is why there are posts in the root subforum on how to block the update.

So to answer your question, yes, VZW does have this power, it does upset people, but it's not a new thing.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is actually not unheard of. I remember with my previous phone, the HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon starting doing this with the MR2 update. I believe I even seen reports of this already happening for this GS3 update, which is why there are posts in the root subforum on how to block the update.

So to answer your question, yes, VZW does have this power, it does upset people, but it's not a new thing.

I agree. All the OTA updates I've seen would have proceeded unless they were declined. Says that when the update screen pops up.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

One good reason you would never find me on Verizon ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Sparktweek

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, folks. It definitely threw me for a loop...1) to be awoken at 1am!...and 2), to have Jelly Bean just automatically update out of the blue. Again, I was delaying the update so that I could continue using Foxfi for tethering, since I am on an unlimited data plan. Now, FoxFi prompted me to install the new PdaNet+ app, which incorporates the USB tethering of PdaNet and the Wifi tethering of FoxFi. I'm able to use the Wifi tether just fine...but the phone's own hotspot app does pop up and say that hotspotting is enabled. By the end of the month I guess I'll find out if VZW is on to me.

And if anyone out there was wondering, I'm stock, not rooted.

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, folks. It definitely threw me for a loop...1) to be awoken at 1am!...and 2), to have Jelly Bean just automatically update out of the blue. Again, I was delaying the update so that I could continue using Foxfi for tethering, since I am on an unlimited data plan. Now, FoxFi prompted me to install the new PdaNet+ app, which incorporates the USB tethering of PdaNet and the Wifi tethering of FoxFi. I'm able to use the Wifi tether just fine...but the phone's own hotspot app does pop up and say that hotspotting is enabled. By the end of the month I guess I'll find out if VZW is on to me.

And if anyone out there was wondering, I'm stock, not rooted.

So far, I have been using FoxFi on JB it also turns on the Hotspot icon, but I have not received any notifications or extra charges from Verizon. Of course, they now also prompt me to install the free PDANet+ app, right after I paid for the unlimited FoxFi app. That kinda pisses me off, unless they are doing the same thing with the PDANet+ (15 min limit unless buying full version).

sharkfinmoy

May 27, 2012
Visit site
So far, I have been using FoxFi on JB it also turns on the Hotspot icon, but I have not received any notifications or extra charges from Verizon. Of course, they now also prompt me to install the free PDANet+ app, right after I paid for the unlimited FoxFi app. That kinda pisses me off, unless they are doing the same thing with the PDANet+ (15 min limit unless buying full version).

I also paid for FoxFi, which is worth the 7 bucks to me. I installed PDANet+ (which is limited/ trial) and was pleased to find out that PDANet+ recognized that have the FoxFi key installed, I automatically got the full, unlocked PDANet+..and it works very well. Good luck and I hope it works for you too.

ncc1701p

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I had JB forced down my throat also which broke foxfi. What im using as a substitude is WiFi Tether -TrevE Mod edition. It works but still kinda lacks a little. This version puts the phone in a ad-hoc kind mode where Foxif looked like a full AP. I know because my work laptop saw it w/ FoxFi & Not WiFi Tether since my work laptop is barred from connecting to ad-hoc devices. Im sure if you use lord google it would work. A side of caution. This software disabled bluetooth when you turn it on. Just go into settings and disable it. I know cuz it kept kicking my BT headset off when i activated it. Good Luck!

also for the record i kept delaying the update cuz of FoxFi. Well I figured since im forced on it I might as well forcible try to find a substitude. I feel bad for the folks who shelled out $7 to get the licensed version and now can't use it.

Disclaimer Edit: You need to be rooted to use that one program.