Going from iPhone to Android....should I do it??

cheekybrown

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I need some great advice here. I was an android user until Verizon picked up the iPhone and I've had the iPhone since then. I recently upgraded my 4 to the 5 but I spent all weekend playing with a friend's Galaxy S3 and fell in love.

Other than the fact that I will NOT know what I'm doing if I switch back to android, should I leave iPhone for the S3?? How difficult will it be to switch from Apple to Android?

Give me some great reasons...other than hating on Apple....LOL

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I need some great advice here. I was an android user until Verizon picked up the iPhone and I've had the iPhone since then. I recently upgraded my 4 to the 5 but I spent all weekend playing with a friend's Galaxy S3 and fell in love.

Other than the fact that I will NOT know what I'm doing if I switch back to android, should I leave iPhone for the S3?? How difficult will it be to switch from Apple to Android?

Most people are happy with switching to the s3. Bigger screen is what intrigues the iPhone users. I've read quite a bit of posts regarding people loving the switch they made. I own the s3 and I love everything about it. Learning android again shouldn't be hard just takes some tinkering. The s3 also has a basic user interface mode to make learning things easier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Play with your friends S3 some more and make your own decision. The fact that you have an S3 that you can play around with is great rather than making a blind decision based on press releases or reviews.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have seen numerous comments from iPhone people that have tried the S3 and hate to, simply because they don't want to learn something new.
So are you willing to learn new things? If not, stay with what you know.
If you are willing to learn, and are OK with the larger format, go for it.

cheekybrown

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I do love the bigger screen! I guess I'm bored with iPhone. I had the Incredible and the Droid X before going to iPhone but the S3 is tempting me!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Everything can be transferred. I know some ppl don't like the backup assistant but it works great. And having Google makes an easy transition. You used Android before. Its like riding a bike. You don't forget

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes they are....email ones anyway I guess.
I meant just the phone contacts...for calling or can all be transferred?

All the contact info should be available in Gmail.

I have never owned an iPhone, so I'm exactly sure about setting this up, but see here: iOS: Syncing with Google Contacts
The one thing I'm not sure of is if this is a one-way or two-way sync...?

Just log into your gmail account and verify that your contacts are there and have phone numbers listed. As long as that's straight, they'll automagically be synced with your Android device upon initial setup.

Everything can be transferred. I know some ppl don't like the backup assistant but it works great. And having Google makes an easy transition. You used Android before. Its like riding a bike. You don't forget

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

I'd recommend doing it via Google if possible, since it's easier and already built into Android and Gmail -- but assuming both phones on are Verizon, I'd think that Backup Assistant would be an easy way to do it as well if the Google sync doesn't work.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/backup-assistant/id415976837?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks y'all!! I'm seriously considering jumping ship.

I was due for an upgrade and did a lot of comparisons between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3. Like you, I couldn't get real excited about the iPhone 5, but the S3 has some really nice features...the big display is a plus, and the phone is really fast doing stuff. Plus Android has really passed up iOS in features. And it is much more transparent. For example, I can go and see what processes are running and why my battery life has gone down, and actually fix it instead of blindly doing a restore via iTunes and hoping for the best.

If I already had an iPhone 5, I don't know if I would switch at that point, that would involve a bit of money (full price for the S3, and selling the iPhone 5, like through gazelle.com or whatever). Unless you've had the iPhone 5 for less than two weeks, then you could most likely work out an exchange. But if the money isn't an issue, I agree, I liked the S3 look and feel a lot more than the iPhone 5. Maybe I'll go back to the iPhone when the iPhone 6 or 7 comes out *smile*, time will tell. And I do have an "iPad 3" that I like a lot. But Apple needs to do some innovation to get people like me (and maybe you, too) back.

Fireman2252

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I pulled the trigger tonight. I have had every iPhone the original,3G,3GS- swapped to Verizon for the 4,4s and 5 and have grown really tired of ios. Several pals have the s3 and love it. I have watched probably 100 or more YouTube videos and at 8:00 pm tonight I swapped an upgrade to another line (to keep my unlimited data of course) and bought a black s3. Looking forward to a change.

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Well done. I believe that much of the iPhone is hype... and the S3 actually IS all that and a bag of chips.

Last edited:

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Also look at the HTC One series phones. The One x+ is amazing if you can get it on Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I've read good things about the Nexus 4, how's that working for you? At least you get the Android updates pretty quickly after they're out, so you get new features quickly.

Just curious about what an actual owner thinks of it.

Thanks.

cheekybrown

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I am within my two week time frame...I have until Saturday to make up my mind....LOL
Like Fireman said, I am bored with iPhone, but thought i'd really, really like the 5. It's exactly the same as the 4 and 4s which both my kids have. I might have to take an extended lunch today and do the switch!!!!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Also look at the HTC One series phones. The One x+ is amazing if you can get it on Verizon.

Verizon doesn't have any of the HTC "One" phones. It does have the HTC Droid DNA, which does look pretty nice, although I'm very happy with Samsung.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've read good things about the Nexus 4, how's that working for you? At least you get the Android updates pretty quickly after they're out, so you get new features quickly.

Just curious about what an actual owner thinks of it.

Thanks.
This is the best phone I've ever owned. It has a few small issues but updates outweigh any small things. In general the phone is lightning fast, has a great screen, the battery lasts me a full day with around 3-5 hours of screen time. And it's a beautiful device. I have had no trouble with it at all. The camera is not great but certainly not horrible.

But if this was a HTC one x+ Nexus it would be even better as that phone does everything really well.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't have any of the HTC "One" phones. It does have the HTC Droid DNA, which does look pretty nice, although I'm very happy with Samsung.
I wasn't as impressed with the DNA. I think the battery is too small and it's pretty big.

The main difference with Samsung and HTC is the screen technology. HTC and Apple use IPS LCD screens while Samsung uses AMOLED. Some people prefer one or the other. I like IPS much more.

But you can't lose either way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15