Transfer files from pc to phone?

Believeinsteve

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My roommate & I are trying to figure out how to transfer files between our pc's & his galaxy s3. I've got a galaxy s2 with sprint but I'll post there for info.

We've been searching google for awhile, yet no luck finding out how to do this. Every "howto" doesn't work. He's currently got jellybean & everytime we plug either phone into the computer nothing pops up on the phone as it used to. On the PC nor the phone.

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the s2 but the s3 does not act as a usb mass storage device so the computer will not see it as a usb drive. Instead it supports mtp (media transfer protocol) and ptp (picture transfer protocol) so you might need to figure out how to get one of those to work with the computer. You could use the 'my files' app on the s3 (or other file manager) to copy stuff to the external sd card, then remove the sd card and access it on the computer with a card reader.

Personally, I installed an ssh server on the phone and transfer files over wifi from the computer, but you'll have to learn about ssh if you're not familiar with it since it isn't really install and go.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You most likely need to install the drivers for the phone you have if it doesn't support mtp protocal. You can get them from the device manufacturer. Then plug the phone into USB and it should load as an external drive.

Personally, I use ES File Explorer myself. Assuming you're on a WLAN with the computer, you just copy/paste them over the network. Although ES also supports a direct transfer with BT if the computer has BT.

There's also Airdroid, Wifi File Transfer, etc. etc. Honestly, a quick search of just the play store for "transfer files" brings up well over 8,000 hits.

-Suntan

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My roommate & I are trying to figure out how to transfer files between our pc's & his galaxy s3. I've got a galaxy s2 with sprint but I'll post there for info.

We've been searching google for awhile, yet no luck finding out how to do this. Every "howto" doesn't work. He's currently got jellybean & everytime we plug either phone into the computer nothing pops up on the phone as it used to. On the PC nor the phone.

just hook the usb cords up to phone and cpu. then go to explore (where ya can see alll files etc) simply slide down to the SCHi535 and open the folder and move files to where ever and also from cpu back to or onto the SCHi535. when you connect the cpu will take care of the rest ..

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

OK, since you used the "PC" I'm going to assume that you are not using a Mac?

One thing to try is installing the drivers first: http://tinyw.in/Fdoz
(Those for Verizon S3)

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I can't get Kies to work reliably on my PC.

I use SugarSync to keep my photos and documents constantly synced over WiFi.
I use Foldersync to keep my entire SdCard backed up over WiFi.

In the end, these wireless apps are working out better for me then any USB cable would. I would hate to go back to a cable.

I also played with the AirDroid app. That may work well for you also. It lets you directly manage files on your SdCard from your PC over WiFi.

RickG.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just throwing it there because it had me screwed up for a day or so. Make sure you are using the USB cord that came with the phone. Not sure why but it's the only way my cpu recognizes and allows file transfers for my phone. If that doesn't work I would bring it in to Verizon, because somethings wrong. I just took files and pics from my S3 and transferred to cpu yesterday.

He knows that. It isn't working.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Sgt_Fury

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Win7 with my S3 and I cant use the latest samsung drivers. I get an invalid id error messagw so I have to use an older driver

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

davycrocket7

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Use Keis Air, I transfer stuff all the time wirelessly from PC to phone and back through Keis Air that came installed on my S3. I you need more detailed info on how to use Keis Air then ask and I will be happy to list step by step instructions.

Shea Aidele

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Kies Air does not work for me. It will not show any of my phone's files....It is installed and connected to my phone and says that it is searching for my files, but even after hours nothing shows up....

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Shea,
Your phone and computer are on the same Wi-Fi network?

You had no trouble connecting, but the browser just isn't showing any information?

What browser are you using?

You could try
AirDroid: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&token=1oUkGGs3
or
WiFi File Explorer PRO: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.dooblou.WiFiFileExplorerPRO (there's also a free/trial version)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781