Question About Battery Drain

Jeanne Nicholson

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Earlier today, I started trying to work on why my battery was draining so fast. Media was at about 72% of the battery usage, so last night I scanned my SD card. It corrected some errors, but didn't fix the battery drain. My SD card is two phones old, so I removed it earlier today, just as a test.

Since I removed it, MEDIA is down to around 28% of the battery usage and the largest drain on my battery is now SDCARD, at around 45%. Is that because the phone is or some program is looking for an SD card and not finding it? I'm just trying to reason through what is causing the remaining battery drain and how I can address it.

After those two items, the battery usage drops greatly down to Screen and then email, so if I can figure out the Media and SDCARD issue, I think I'll be in good shape.

Thanks for any suggestions! I really appreciate the resource you guys have here. It's been a lifesaver.
Jeanne

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My highest drain, by far, is the screen. I would look for an app, either a social site or media related that is constantly accessing data. I would start with something either music or photo related. You could also try turning off sync, that would pretty much isolate anything off the phone.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I had read somewhere that Google Now was a huge drain on battery. Since it was after the JB update when I began experiencing excessive battery drain, I gave it a try.

So, I have disabled Google Now and my battery drain improved dramatically! I liked the feature but not at the expense of what it was doing to my battery. I am now back to getting a full day from my device. With Google Now on I was depleted by late morning or merely after a couple of hours of usage which was ridiculous.....

I'd be curious to know if others found this to remedy there battery issues as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Edmund Wee

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issues. Not sure which brand of sd card you are using. The one I am using is 32 gb sandisk SDHC class 10 specially for Android device. At time feel my phone is very warm. A check at battery show media is the highest usage. Thought is card issue reformatted still the same. But reading and saving via pc and use my DSLR is Ok . So cannot claim as a faulty product. Bought another one also same issue. Finally bought a new 64gb sandisk XC I. So far Ok. File a support to sandisk and they offer me to exchange from a class 10 to a class 6 which I still considering. I think is the compatibility between the card and note 2.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Google Now didn't affect my battery in the slightest. However I also was having the "Media Server" problem which was draining my battery at a freaky pace. I just transferred all my photos to my Laptop and erased them from my SD card. That completely eliminated the media server problem and my battery is back to lasting all day.

Shimmy00

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Try disabling these Apps.
Screenshot_2013-01-16-07-55-26_zps93ca6246.png
[/IMG]
Screenshot_2013-01-16-07-55-32_zps6c3becf3.png

Screenshot_2013-01-16-07-55-14_zps8e7def63.png

phoneguy32

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
if you try to disable some of those is says "Uninstall Updates" then " All updates to this Android system app will be uninstalled". is it safe to do this?

jscholz22

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I am having issues that just started this week. I updated on the release date. My main issue is that Maps is constantly running and draining the battery.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
if you try to disable some of those is says "Uninstall Updates" then " All updates to this Android system app will be uninstalled". is it safe to do this?
By "uninstalling" updates is the only way you can get to the "disable" option and yes its safe. When you disable an app it will be put down at the bottom of your list after the last running app you have in alphabetical order in Application Manager > All. If you want the app back just find it in the list and enable and update it again.
When disabling apps make sure its an app that isn't crucial to the operation of other apps. For example if you disable Google Account Manager, then you will loose your ability to access the Play Store and GMAIL.

popologuy

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
the problem is your SanDisk sd card. Pull it and save your data in the computer. Buy a Samsung brand sd card and load your stuff back into that. There is an issue with note 2 and GS3 and SanDisk cards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc