MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I just use Standalone GPS. E911 is always on anyway. Google and VZW location services are just another way to track you, and it seems to me that Google already knows more than they ought to be trusted with.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I use the standalone and Google (the latter helps accuracy indoors since it uses wifi networks and GPS signals don't penetrate walls and ceilings well). I have VZW turned off, but would turn it on if I somehow (for some reason) had no GPS signal but cell phone reception (because it would use the towers instead of satellites.

I am not 100% sure, but I also think the 'local" options such as Places and some notifications (like bus schedules and stuff) are more accurate with Google Location Services enabled.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
which gps setting is the best to use for your galaxy s3?

Do you mean what location services?

If you check the VZW location services, that uses some info from Verizon towers to try to estimate your location. Some times as much as a mile off.
Google location services is about the same, plus it may use WiFi SSID lookup to get closer if you have WiFi on.
Standalone GPS uses the GPS and Glonass receiver to get you within a few feet if you have a clear view of the sky.

The first two use nearly no power. The third, the GPS receiver, uses power if you use a GPS app like Google maps.

Turn them all off and wear a tin foil hat if you are paranoid.
Be aware that even if you turn them all off, Verizon has a record of where you are from the cell tower logs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12