GPS Issues?

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone having GPS issues lately? Mine is way out of whack the last couple of days. Haven't changed anything so not sure if it is just my phone or a Verizon thing.

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm still having issues. Whenever I update my weather app, it doesn't have me in the right location. Same with Google Now trying to show me traffic updates. Is there a GPS app anyone recommends that could help?

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I hadn't had any trouble with GPS since I've had my S3 (December 20, 2012) but last week I was in Alaska (apparantly no Verizon up there) and was on the 'extended network'. Most days things were fine, but for a couple of days I couldn't get a GPS lock. I have had that experience with my Pre+ and Pre2 with Verizon a lot, so I know what it's like...I assumed it had something to do with being on an extended network rather than Verizon...but maybe I'm wrong. Since I got back to Tennessee, despite the fact that the weather is colder here today than in Anchorage, GPS seems to be fine.

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
That's weird. Mine had been fine, then last week it started but it wasn't way off. Now it has me in a city that's 15-20 miles away. But when I'm connected to Wi-Fi, it's completely fine.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
That's weird. Mine had been fine, then last week it started but it wasn't way off. Now it has me in a city that's 15-20 miles away. But when I'm connected to Wi-Fi, it's completely fine.

Sounds like it is not using the GPS at all, but instead using location services (based off of cell towers and WiFi). Thus WiFi is more accurate.
Big difference.

I recommend installing "GPS Status". Run it for a while and see how many satellites it picks up. In settings go to TOOLS, MANAGE GPS STATE, then do a reset and a download.
If you have a reasonably clear view of the sky, it should be showing well over 10 satellite fixes, and over 15 satellites in view.

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it is not using the GPS at all, but instead using location services (based off of cell towers and WiFi). Thus WiFi is more accurate.
Big difference.

I recommend installing "GPS Status". Run it for a while and see how many satellites it picks up. In settings go to TOOLS, MANAGE GPS STATE, then do a reset and a download.
If you have a reasonably clear view of the sky, it should be showing well over 10 satellite fixes, and over 15 satellites in view.

I don't ever have my GPS turned on unless I'm using it. But even when I turned the GPS on, it still wasn't showing me in the right location. I'll try GPS Status and see what happens. Thanks!

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Went through the same thing a few weeks back. It has always worked but navifation took up to 5 minutes or so to get started.
Called tech and they through everything and finally said it was not anything I did (stock phone) or software related.
He said it was probably hardware (radio) and sent a replacement the next day.
The replacement has been perfect. If I would have known it was supposed to work this way I would have changed months ago.
Navigation is now instantaneous.

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Went through the same thing a few weeks back. It has always worked but navifation took up to 5 minutes or so to get started.
Called tech and they through everything and finally said it was not anything I did (stock phone) or software related.
He said it was probably hardware (radio) and sent a replacement the next day.
The replacement has been perfect. If I would have known it was supposed to work this way I would have changed months ago.
Navigation is now instantaneous.

Mine is still acting weird. Google Now and the stock weather app have me in 2 different locations. Over the weekend it seemed to improve, but now it's acting funny again.

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I have found that sometimes I can't get a good GPS location when using Navigation, but if I go to the Maps app I can get a good fix and then go back to the Navigation App and everything is all right. I'm guessing that there is some sort of reset going on when I open the Maps app. Other times I have had to restart the phone to get a good GPS fix.

Bart

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
A couple weeks ago, my GPS refused to lock but I solved the problem by restarting my phone. It only happened twice and hasn't happened since, though I don't use my GPS very much.

StorminDT

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Things appear ok unless the verizon location services can't get a fix on you. Only if you use GPS Status do you realize that no sats are found.

I didn't realize it until I was using MyTracks along the beach. Regular location services had me swimming :)

Each time a reboot fixes it for awhile (instant lock on multiple sats). After a few days it looses them again.

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have similar issues with GPS on the G3. It takes forever to lock and is basically useless when navigating in the car.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Just as an FYI I've had the S3 since the day it was released and have never had a GPS issue. I'm running stock. Maybe it's certain parts of the country?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Kaad_g

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've also had issues with GPS; the worst seems to be on the coastlines. I was in L.A. near the beach last summer and couldn't get a lock on GPS. Just recently I was in Boston walking outside and couldn't get a lock. Very frustrating.

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I've also had issues with GPS; the worst seems to be on the coastlines. I was in L.A. near the beach last summer and couldn't get a lock on GPS. Just recently I was in Boston walking outside and couldn't get a lock. Very frustrating.
Smog...temperature inversion...aliens...something like that could have been the problem in L.A.

In Boston...did you paahhk your caahhh by tha Haabaah when you couldn't get a laahk?

I previously mentioned I had trouble in Achorage AK where there is no Verizon (extended network), but I had one instance this week up in the Baltimore-Washington area. I restarted the phone and it has worked fine since then.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had GPS issues the past 3-4 weeks. I installed GPS Test and I sometimes show 25 satellites in view but none in use. Even if I reset or update AGPS it doesn't help. Very frustrating. So this is a radio hardware issue, not software or perhaps even something related to the SIM?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had GPS issues the past 3-4 weeks. I installed GPS Test and I sometimes show 25 satellites in view but none in use. Even if I reset or update AGPS it doesn't help. Very frustrating. So this is a radio hardware issue, not software or perhaps even something related to the SIM?

Well, if GPS Test is seeing satellites, then the hardware has to be OK. I mean you can't see a GPS satellite without a working receiver. So it sounds like something in th software is saying "Sorry, can't use that."

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm in Boston everyday and have never had a gps issue with my 3S......I've had it since day one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Rackness

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I find that anytime I notice electronics not acting correctly a quick reboot will more often than not fix the problem. Not a scientific solution but always what I try first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol