Trading my s3,Activation questions

abc1234

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
ok so il be trading my s3 with my friends iphone ONLY for a few weeks for reasons unsaid. so do i just swap phones and activate? and what do i do with my SIM card in the s3? does my friend need to buy a new sim card himself? how much $ is a sim?

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
This might be a question best for the a verizon rep. But yes I suspect they would need a sim card of their own. I know that verizon will usually replace them for free for you but have heard a $10 price tag else where. Not sure how it would work for a person needing to get one for a traded or purchased used phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
You guys can both just log on to my Verizon and switch them on you respective accounts there. You guys need each others IMEI or serial numbers (in the iphone its in settings, general, about phone, and for the Galaxy S3 its in settings, about phone, status) he will need to get a new sim card I believe for the GS3 temporarily, but it shouldn't cost him anything. You guys can switch back by doing the reverse process that you did to switch in the first place online. Remember to keep YOUR sim in a safe place :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Trading my s3,

If it is an iphone 5,just swap sims, that should be it. No need to get new sim cards, though even if you need one, they are free. If some place tries to charge you just call Verizon, they have mailed me sims for free. Note that they ship 2 day, and when I did it, it required a signature

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If it is an iphone 5,just swap sims, that should be it. No need to get new sim cards, though even if you need one, they are free. If some place tries to charge you just call Verizon, they have mailed me sims for free. Note that they ship 2 day, and when I did it, it required a signature

Yeah don't go to a "Verizon premium retailer" they will charge you 15 bucks for a new sim make sure it's just a regular VW store

abc1234

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys! sooo easiest way ive heard in this post is just to swap sims? no need to call for activation n what not?

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Both of you should just meet at a Verizon corporate store. The guy getting the S3 will need a sim card anyway.

The iPhone 5 uses a sim even smaller than the one in the S3.

So just got to VZW and get it taken care of quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah don't go to a "Verizon premium retailer" they will charge you 15 bucks for a new sim make sure it's just a regular VW store

Yeah, I always go to a Verizon corporate store. Never an issue

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Both of you should just meet at a Verizon corporate store. The guy getting the S3 will need a sim card anyway.

The iPhone 5 uses a sim even smaller than the one in the S3.

So just got to VZW and get it taken care of quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that you would need an adapter for the s3 , and you can just cut the micro size to nano. But really, just go to a Verizon corporate store and they will take care of you.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I am almost but not quite going to thread-jack. Please let us know how this works out for you - I am considering the same thing. I have also read one person in one thread (who may have been mistaken) saying that if you put a 3G only phone on a 4G plan for more than a few days you lose your 4G. I don't think I buy that, but in these days of carriers rap... ummm, I mean monetizing every move you make, it wouldn't surprise me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am almost but not quite going to thread-jack. Please let us know how this works out for you - I am considering the same thing. I have also read one person in one thread (who may have been mistaken) saying that if you put a 3G only phone on a 4G plan for more than a few days you lose your 4G. I don't think I buy that, but in these days of carriers rap... ummm, I mean monetizing every move you make, it wouldn't surprise me.

No, same plan for 3g or 4g. You can switch any time between smartphones regardless of data capabilities

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
No, same plan for 3g or 4g. You can switch any time between smartphones regardless of data capabilities

As long as you don't go through Verizon and purchase a phone by using your upgrade because that voids your unlimited data

Glitzy35

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Once you switch back from a 4g phone to a 3G you will lose unlimited data once trying to switch back to the 4g phone. If u have unlimited data. That's what happened to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol