Can I turn off voice/texts while leaving data enabled?

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I have S3 on Verizon.

I am going on vacation to Mexico for a week. I only want to receive e-mail during that time.

Is there a way to turn off voice calls/texts while leaving the data on so I can get my e-mail?

Please let me know. Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Use this app, and set to evdo only. This would leave you on Verizon or its partners cdma 3g network, which is somewhat limited in Mexico. Take a look at the map.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=244676

You would probably be better off getting a local sim card as Verizon charges $5000 per gb for data in Mexico

Just a thought, why not setup call forwarding to a Google voice account, that way you can get voice mail and texts over data?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
You should also be able to call Verizon and ask them to disable text and voice for ad long as your gone. They do it for data and texts I know for sure.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 using TapaTalk 2.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could also try this - just put your phone in Airplane mode. Whenever you want to get data you can either:
1. Turn off Airplane mode temporarily, do whatever it is that you need to do, then turn Airplane mode back on
2. Turn WiFi on - oddly enough, once you turn Airplane mode on (and it turns everything [except Bluetooth] off), you can turn WiFi back on and use it for your data connection. Meanwhile your cellular signal/mobile data remain off.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Most assume data to be mobile data, not wifi. But if you are near wifi source frequently, then that would be the best option

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II