Would you......

jerseykirby

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Would you give up your GS3 for the Droid DNA? I currently have both devices, while both of them have their ups and downs I was just simply looking to get other opinions. I love both devices and jump back and forth between them, some things bug me about both like the lag on the HTC keyboard or the service issues I had with the S3. Let me know your opinion.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Would you give up your GS3 for the Droid DNA? I currently have both devices, while both of them have their ups and downs I was just simply looking to get other opinions. I love both devices and jump back and forth between them, some things bug me about both like the lag on the HTC keyboard or the service issues I had with the S3. Let me know your opinion.

Once the HTC One. or S4 is released I would sell both and buy the One or S4. I know that's not what you asked, but think about it... you have 2 older, but good phones, easy to sell.... why not get the HTC One or S4?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
why not get the HTC One or S4?
One good reason might be that neither phone is listed as being available on Verizon.

OP,
Unfortunately I haven't done any research on the Droid DNA, so I can't make any comparisons, but if you could be a little more specific about features that you prefer on that phone, perhaps we could address them. There may be a 3rd party ROM for the SGSIII that would provide what you're looking for.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

SG3 vs. 4
There is not enough pluses to go from SG3 to SG4. Also, the G3 is supposed to get the same software updates.

DNA vs. ONE
The big difference I found when researched is the camera (possibly). The ONE is rumored NOT to come top Verizon since they just put out the DNA.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I have the GS3 and my older brother has the DNA, so I've played with it a little. It is a little faster in everyday use but not by a wide margin. In my opinion the camera's are comparable. The screen on the DNA is quite a bit better than the GS3. I'm not sure what size you prefer but the DNA is a little bigger, but not by much and it still feels good to me. I'm not sure if Sense/Touchwiz come into play with your descision but if you've used previous versions of Sense 2.1-3.5, and you liked those, then you'll love the version the DNA comes with, although I'm not sure how i'll feel when they update the DNA with Blinkfeed.
In my opinion, since the DNA is an incremental improvement to the GS3, and the GS4 is so close to being released, I would wait and just get that (qualcom 600, bunch of software updates, and it'll have almost the same size screen as the DNA). By then the one will be out as well and if you don't like the GS4 and still want to go the HTC rout, you'll be able to get the ONE.
It goes without saying though, that you have to ultimately get what you want to get and what works best for you.
Good luck :)

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
i have had both devices it depends what your looking to do with the device of your choosing?

workhorse? multimedia? video / image capture?

all these play factors in which phone you would choose.

GS3
  1. great battery life
  2. physical home button
  3. removable battery
  4. micro sd card
  5. great development (rooted)

DNA
  1. screen size / ppi
  2. beats audio
  3. media / multimedia
  4. size / slimness

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Haven't had the pleasure of using the DNA, but I will say even if I did I wouldn't know a darn thing about the keyboard because I'd be using Swiftkey (My point is that a crappy stock keyboard is NO reason to dismiss a phone).

Once the HTC One. or S4 is released I would sell both and buy the One or S4. I know that's not what you asked, but think about it... you have 2 older, but good phones, easy to sell.... why not get the HTC One or S4?

Not a bad idea if you're the type of person that likes having the latest and greatest, although you'd have to switch carriers to get HTC One.

One good reason might be that neither phone is listed as being available on Verizon.

OP,
Unfortunately I haven't done any research on the Droid DNA, so I can't make any comparisons, but if you could be a little more specific about features that you prefer on that phone, perhaps we could address them. There may be a 3rd party ROM for the SGSIII that would provide what you're looking for.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

GS4 will be available on Verizon, but HTC One will not... No release dates for any US carriers that I'm aware of, but Verizon has confirmed that they will have it.

SG3 vs. 4
There is not enough pluses to go from SG3 to SG4. Also, the G3 is supposed to get the same software updates.

DNA vs. ONE
The big difference I found when researched is the camera (possibly). The ONE is rumored NOT to come top Verizon since they just put out the DNA.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3

Says who? The S4 appears to be a great device with a lot of new features. Am I going to pay full retail to buy one to replace my perfectly good S3? No, but none the less if given the opportunity (such as being able to sell two older devices to fund my purchase), I'd definitely upgrade once the S4 comes out.

Again, says who? Even if Samsung has come out and said that they'll update the S3 for 5 more years, I've learned from experience not to expect an update until it's actually out there (because manfacturers love to talk about all the updates that will be released "by the end of the next quarter"). The S3 already got 1 major update in Jelly Bean, it's probably got 1 more major update left at best -- and let's face it, even if Samsung releases any more major updates for the S3, the Verizon version is probably never gonna see it.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
SG3 vs. 4

Hardware is more important to me than any "gimmicky" software features.

Therefore:
-More RAM
-Better processor
-Bigger screen
-Higher resolution display
-Better camera

Reasons enough for me to replace my S3 with the S4 & they'll be the same reasons I later upgrade my N4 to the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jerseykirby

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
While all good points, I gave up my DNA to go back to the GS3...........for now. I will absolutely be getting the S4 once out for the same reason Lanhoj stated, hardware. As someone who likes to root and flash customs, the gimmicky features available on the S4 are not important to me at all. I rarely use the features the S3 had. Matter of fact I don't because I am currently on an AOSP ROM as we speak haha. Anywho, thank you very much for the answers. They did help my decision, as for the keyboard point I find it tedious that the text feature on the DNA was so laggy. It was very cumbersome at points.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
While all good points, I gave up my DNA to go back to the GS3...........for now. I will absolutely be getting the S4 once out for the same reason Lanhoj stated, hardware. As someone who likes to root and flash customs, the gimmicky features available on the S4 are not important to me at all. I rarely use the features the S3 had. Matter of fact I don't because I am currently on an AOSP ROM as we speak haha. Anywho, thank you very much for the answers. They did help my decision, as for the keyboard point I find it tedious that the text feature on the DNA was so laggy. It was very cumbersome at points.

welcome back to tha Sammy Family

personally i always end up back at a s3 no matter what phones i try, plus black on black is so sweet

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If the DNA had a 32GB storage option then I would. I don't need SD card storage but if you're going to limit it to 16GB (way less after system and bloatware) then I can't purchase it. I really was willing to get it try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12