Phone screen won't turn off

imouro

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Please, help me! That was what I did!
I moved "bootsamsung.qmg", "bootsamsungloop.qmg" and "shutdown.qmg" from \System\Media\
"shutdown.qmg" from \System\Media\Video\Shutdown\
and "PowerOff.ogg" and "PowerOn.ogg" from \System\Media\Audio\ui\
to a backup folder.
Then copied a custom 'Umbrella Corporation shutdown animation' that I downloaded from this other forum to the two places the "shutdown.qmg" was. After rebooting it didn't show any animation so I deleted the custom in order to not have any animation at all. That's when I noticed that the Power button doesn't lock, the auto-lock doesn't lock and when I try to reboot or power off the phone, it only kinda soft-reboots.
Afterwards, I've put every original file in its place but the problems remain!
Needless to say I've checked every setting, even the developer's stay awake and stuff, it's not that.
You said you renamed the files, took it back and everything went back to normal...So what am I missing?

imouro

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: boot animation related: FIXED!

Sorry for replying to my own post but I think it's relevant. With the help of some friends, they reminded me of file permissions. What was causing the problem was that the original qmg files, when copied, became RWXRWX--- and when we put them back in their original folders we have to change it back to RW-R--R--. That alone fixes all the issues!
If you want to, you can replace every file with custom animations, or delete them, as long as you remember to change the remaining files' permissions to RW-R--R--, and always keep a "bootsamsung.qmg" in \System\Media\. Without it, the problems would remain. So, if you don't want any animation at all, just create a blank file (a text file or something) and rename it to "bootsamsung.qmg" (don't forget the extension!) and keep it there.
Problem solved!

sheila large

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. Only thing that works for me is restarting the phone. Works for a few days and then needs to be restarted again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I can't even restart my phone, it will not do anything, I'm trying to just let the battery die. And see if that works. Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

Anmol Saraf1

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Read both pages. Wakelock doesn't work for me since it needs root access on kitkat version android OS.

Finally resolved with following way. There is some app which is restricting.
I went to "Settings > Apps > Running tab" closed all suspicious application in "Cached" and "running' mode.

Probably it is my recent ip-camera phone app or the alexa app which was restricting the phone going to auto sleep after 15 seconds and then to lock state.

Hope it helps.

Cammy1867

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Oh my god! I have the Galaxy S4, and I'm experiencing the same exact problem. The power button works when I long press. I even tried downloading third party lockscreen apps. The lockscreen will launch, but the screen won't shut off. I've had this problem a few days. I tried reboot and pulling battery, with no luck. Contact me with any solutions PLEASE! I've rooted my phone but I'm running the stock ROM

Àm GOING to try everything I think wen we boot the phones up 1:eek:f the settings are stopping the light from going off .well people wish me luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Flournoy

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Wakelock Detector worked perfectly! I had a flashlight app running that should have been turned off, but was keeping my screen from going off completely. Thanks for pointing me to this app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can't take pictures /won't shut off

Since I see that you also posted this same question in a thread in the Droid X forum, I'm assuming that you don't actually have a Droid X or an S3. I suggest you create a new thread with your question in the appropriate forum for your phone. If there is no forum for your phone, then post in the General Help or Ask A Question forum. And please give more details. Thanks!

AhmedAlbasha

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Not sure why but suddenly my screen won't shut off. This is killing my battery because the screen is always on. Tried turning the timer down, turned on power saver mode. Nothing. Suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I had the exact same problem.
So I tried to stop twilight application that fixed my problem.

obaid raza

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
i have samsung galaxy alpha i"m facing a problem when i connect the charger to my phone after 2 ,3 min it disconnects i tries 3 chargers and also changed the battery but the same problem comes again and when i turn off my phone. it's restart himself when i remove battery and then fix the battery . phone is starts without pressing the power button.. help plz.. thanks

Buddette

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad I read your instructions. Saved me a lot of time and didn't have to download an app. Just pressed the volume and power and it did a reboot and there it's fixed.
Thank you very much.

jetplane

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Not sure why but suddenly my screen won't shut off. This is killing my battery because the screen is always on. Tried turning the timer down, turned on power saver mode. Nothing. Suggestions?

I started having the same problem right after I updated AirDroid. I went in and forced air Droid to stop. then set the phone down and waited 60 Seconds. the phone shut it's screen off so I'll either be taking AirDroid off or backing it up to before the update.

Tseinlee

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
looks like lots of different--likely unrelated--issues convoluting the op's issue.

What is your sleep setting under menu --> display --> sleep?

Are you running an app that stops the screen from sleeping?

The quick reply feature of mms.apk has been known to have issues. Which messaging app are you using and what are the respective settings?

my cell phone screen cant sleep what can couse this troubleshooting and how i can solve this

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
my cell phone screen cant sleep what can couse this troubleshooting and how i can solve this

Welcome to Android Central! This is a fairly long thread -- have you already read through it and tried the various suggestions? Which phone do you have? Does this only happen when the phone is plugged in? Does it happen in Safe Mode?

ila khan

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue. Only thing that works for me is restarting the phone. Works for a few days and then needs to be restarted again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

so what should I do to stop this I am so annoyed

Last edited by a moderator:

arvind gaonkar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site

It is probable that you have disabled the permissions to power manager. It is a major issue in lollipop and marshmallow devices. Go to settings>apps>Show system apps>power manager. Give all the permissions to this app and allow it to draw over other apps.

Reham khan

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is a fairly long thread -- have you already read through it and tried the various suggestions? Which phone do you have? Does this only happen when the phone is plugged in? Does it happen in Safe Mode?

Hy. I have same problem in My samsung galaxy j5 screen wont sleep plz tell me how to fix it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks