Phone screen won't turn off

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why but suddenly my screen won't shut off. This is killing my battery because the screen is always on. Tried turning the timer down, turned on power saver mode. Nothing. Suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why but suddenly my screen won't shut off. This is killing my battery because the screen is always on. Tried turning the timer down, turned on power saver mode. Nothing. Suggestions?

Try taking the battery out?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Does it turn off when you manually press the power button?

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Battery pulled and nothing. Yes it turns off when I hit the power button.

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok wondering if I need to get a replacement phone. Now if I get a text the screen comes on for a second then never turns off. It's killing my battery.

FLRubi

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. Only thing that works for me is restarting the phone. Works for a few days and then needs to be restarted again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Shanghaichica1

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me after I got water on my galaxy note. I had to have it replaced under my insurance.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

micjay22

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue on the galaxy nexus. Power button press turns the screen off a second then it's back on again. Random issue, recovery mode factory reset doesn't fix the problem. Sent it in for repair under warranty.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Looks like lots of different--likely unrelated--issues convoluting the OP's issue.

What is your sleep setting under Menu --> Display --> Sleep?

Are you running an app that stops the screen from sleeping?

The Quick Reply feature of Mms.apk has been known to have issues. Which messaging app are you using and what are the respective settings?

rcsn

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Did you manage to fix it? I dropped some water on my Samsung Galaxy s3 mini yesterday evening then dropped the phone, but i was sitting down so it wasn't a rough fall, I wouldn't have expected any problems and now my dispaly won't shut off.It shuts down for a second then it lights again. Is there any solution or do I have to take it in service?

Brandon35

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh my god! I have the Galaxy S4, and I'm experiencing the same exact problem. The power button works when I long press. I even tried downloading third party lockscreen apps. The lockscreen will launch, but the screen won't shut off. I've had this problem a few days. I tried reboot and pulling battery, with no luck. Contact me with any solutions PLEASE! I've rooted my phone but I'm running the stock ROM

Last edited:

Natnote

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have started having the same problem!

Whenever i get a text or if phone becomes fully charged, lock screen comes on and doesn't turn off unless manually done.

So my battery is dying sometimes before i even get to the phone to check!

Had anyone solved this problem yet on their phones? Mine is a galaxy note.

xeeta

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem today, and now I don't- Here's How:
App Store -> Search for "wakelock" first thing that came up for me was Wakelock Detector (free app by UZUMAPPS ~100,000 downloads). Ran it, and found out the Sixaxis Compatibility Checker was running for around 8 hours despite Advanced Task Killer reporting that it was terminated. Needless to say as soon as I did that my settings kicked in and powered off/locked the screen after 15 seconds.

Make sure before doing this that your settings under "Lock Screen-> Secured Lock Time" and "Display-> Screen Timeout" are set appropriately.

Hope it works for you, that wakelock suggestion worked wonders for me!

trilleen

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem for a week screen would not sleep automatically,even with a forced close by button.I tried Wakelock detector as recommended here and thank you so much it highlighted the rogue app in seconds"weather pro which I had installed aprox a week ago" once uninstalled everything resumed normal service and negated my fears of total reset etc etc. Brilliant.

gemlvr25

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Xeeta: Thank you so much....this app worked perfectly...Directv just updated their app, it doesn't exit the same way it used to and was hanging up my 15 sec. shut off! You rock!

Abhijit Kumar Misra

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Friends
It is not a serious problem. Actually I came to this page because I have the same problem and then I started R & D with my phone and find a solution.
Go to your phone settings and under display select screen timeout to 15 seconds and check if it solved your problem. In my phone how this happened I don't know but now I have a solution so I shared with it.

johns334

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I fixed mine. It was the "dreaming" feature on my Samsung nexus. I turned if off completely and it has been 5 minutes and still off.
Setting-->> Display--> Daydream --> button on top turn to "Off".

George Skevas

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I just figured out that if you have Pandora on your phone, it has a default setting that prevents the screen from timing out (which is incredibly stupid). So you have to go into Pandora > settings > conserve battery. This is automatically unchecked and you have to manually enable it allowing the screen to auto shut off. Hope this is your problem!