Stock S3 not reconized by windows 7 or 8

crb

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I can not get windows to recognize my stock s3 since the JB update. I have tired 3 or 4 different usb cables all of which came with my phones.Phone is running 4.1.2. I even tired older versions of the Samsung drivers. Phones charge, but do not show up on my computer. I have tired windows 7 and 8 on two different computers. What can I do? Also tried latest version of kies. No luck.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can not get windows to recognize my stock s3 since the JB update. I have tired 3 or 4 different usb cables all of which came with my phones.Phone is running 4.1.2. I even tired older versions of the Samsung drivers. Phones charge, but do not show up on my computer. I have tired windows 7 and 8 on two different computers. What can I do? Also tried latest version of kies. No luck.

Try a different USB port. Try seeing if there are more updated drivers online and reinstall those. Reboot into recovery and clear cache.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I also no longer get usb options on the drop down menu when I plug the phone in via pc usb.

Just thought of something else....is it possible you have USB debugging checked (Settings>Developer Options>scroll down)? Sometimes that messes with the USB connection.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any random person would enable debugging unless they knew what it was and what it does, although good notion.

Very good point and because of this point I almost didn't post it, but as Sherlock Holmes said, 'Once eliminating the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the answer.' That and the general rule of thumb for troubleshooting is 'try everything' just in case.

crb

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Usb debugging unchecked. I even checked it and then un checked it. I've tried every usb port. I downloaded the latest Samsung driver and kies. I tried an older driver I knew worked. The Windows 8 machine us brand new. I think I will try to connect my wife's s3 and see if hers connects

crb

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
plugged my wifes phone in and it came up just fine. Her phone even came up with the usb option on the pull down menu, mine does not. Same cord same port same pc. Settings on both phones are identical except screen time out.

I am going to try a factory reset and see if that helps.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps a piece of fuzz in the connector is preventing the data connection? Seriously I've had that happen to me. Don't just blow in it with your mouth, use dry canned air.