May have screwed up...Need some step by step guidance

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to the s4 from the s3 last week. I'm wanting to give my s3 to my mom, but want to return it to stock. I had it rooted, running cleanrom. I think I screwed up and unrooted before doing anything else. Now I cant seem to get it rooted again. Could someone guide me through it or tell me which set of instructions I need to follow to get this thing back to factory? I'm no whiz (obviously) so you may have to dumb it down a little bit for me....Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to the s4 from the s3 last week. I'm wanting to give my s3 to my mom, but want to return it to stock. I had it rooted, running cleanrom. I think I screwed up and unrooted before doing anything else. Now I cant seem to get it rooted again. Could someone guide me through it or tell me which set of instructions I need to follow to get this thing back to factory? I'm no whiz (obviously) so you may have to dumb it down a little bit for me....Thanks!

You might be able to get away with flashing a stock unrooted ROM on the S3 through ODIN.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay....so where do I start?

First you would need to find a stock ROM online and download it. You can try to Google it. There may be stock ones on XDA forums. XDA may have guidelines/file links on what you need. Being the difference from Verizon and Sprint, I don't know if you have extra steps compared to me. If we were on the same carrier, I would say you need the sotck ROM, ODIN, and possibly 7Zip, depending on how the stock ROM is packaged.

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay... ODIN is where my experience ends. Where/how exactly do I do this part? I've got a rom and the other, but clueless on ODIN

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay... ODIN is where my experience ends. Where/how exactly do I do this part? I've got a rom and the other, but clueless on ODIN

Lets get a big question out of the way first. DO you have a PC with Windows?

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest flashing a ROOTED stock image through Odin. If you were running CleanRom then you obviously have a unlocked bootloader as well. You'll need to re-lock that if you want it to be completely back to stock. I don't know how much you know, (obviously you know some or else you wouldn't have been running Clean Rom in the first place) but I'm just gonna lay it out step by step anyways just in case.

1) Go here: and [HOWTO] [ROOT] [ODIN] No Tripping Flash Counter - Root + [TWRP] - Updated 05.25.2013 - xda-developers and download the VRBMB1 Odin flashable rooted stock image (it's the very first link), or you can grab the next link down which is similar image only with a FULL WIPE. Meaning you will lose everything on the phone. I would go with that personally, especially if your planning on giving the phone to someone else.

2)Extract the root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.tar.md5 from the 7z file you downloaded. Make sure you have your phones drivers installed on your Windows computer and Odin installed. Also, make sure you don't have Samsung Kies running in the background.

3)Boot your phone into Download mode ( by holding down volume down+Home+power, then volume up to continue when the warning appears), and plug it into your computer. When you plug it in you should see the little COM box in Odin light up blue and it will tell you it's connected in the message box by saying "Added!" Flash The root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.tar.md5 in the PDA slot in Odin. All you do is click the PDA button and browse to wherever you put the tar file, click on it and let it load. Also, make sure that the the Auto Reboot and F reset time options checked (they should be automatically) Once it's loaded flash it by hitting Start.
Make sure you DO NOT unplug your phone while it is flashing. Also, these factory images take a few to flash (usually 5-10 minutes) so be patient. Go grab a cup of coffee or something.

4)When it's done it should automatically reboot, and it will say in the message box 1 succeeded 0 failed. You can unplug now.
Now you will be completely back to stock, including locked bootloader and stock recovery image. The only difference is you will have root still. Now if you wanna get rid of root just go into the SuperSU app and click unroot. It will un-install the SuperSU app and binaries and you will be on the stock rom. This also will not trip the flash counter. But if you already have a flash count then you can use Chainfire's Triangle away app to reset it before clicking unroot.
Now your all done and the phone should be completely stock and ready for whoever.
I tried to make this as simple as I possibly could.
Hope this worked for you!! If you need more help just ask.

Last edited:

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay.... I did try some of that earlier and I'm not sure about two things.... 1) my drivers, couldn't get any links to work to download the latest ones. 2) flashing those files. When I'd reboot into whatever mode that's called, it just sat there with the Android guy on the screen for well over a half hour saying downloading

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's what download mode is. It will just say "downloading" with the Android guy on the screen. That means your successfully in download mode. Once your in that mode plug into your computer and you'll be ready to flash with Odin. Also, you can get out of download mode by holding down the power button for 20 seconds or so and it will reboot the phone.
Make sure to get those drivers installed before trying to flash anything though.
Go here for the drivers:
[GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 3/5*** - xda-developers
It will be there very first link he posted besides the Youtube video link. It should automatically start downloading.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's what download mode is. It will just say "downloading" with the Android guy on the screen. That means your successfully in download mode. Once your in that mode plug into your computer and you'll be ready to flash with Odin. Also, you can get out of download mode by holding down the power button for 20 seconds or so and it will reboot the phone.
Make sure to get those drivers installed before trying to flash anything though.
Go here for the drivers:
[GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 3/5*** - xda-developers
It will be there very first link he posted besides the Youtube video link. It should automatically start downloading.

+1 on all his steps.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Golfdriver just means he completely agrees with the afore mentioned post. Like a "like" or "1+" on google+

"Worth is not measured in worldly things, but instead in the compassion you have given unto others." via my droid DNA.

Thanks for covering me. Lol..

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry guys.... Been outta pocket. Fixing to try those last tips you gave me as soon as I get back to my pc.
But a question ahead of time, how do I flash those files from my pc to my phone exactly?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry guys.... Been outta pocket. Fixing to try those last tips you gave me as soon as I get back to my pc.
But a question ahead of time, how do I flash those files from my pc to my phone exactly?

You use a program called ODIN and it will flash the rom on your device.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

It's super simple. It's really a matter of clicking on a file and hitting start. You downloaded Odin already right?
Open up Odin. Click the PDA tab and navigate to where you downloaded the image to and choose it. Now boot your phone into download mode once it's there, connect it to the computer with your usb cable. Once it shows your phone as "added!" hit start. That's it. Like I said it will take a bit to flash but when it's done, your done.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante