Major Battery Drain after OTA 4.1.2 update

jkra

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly new user of Galaxy SIII (updated from iphone) and to be frank I don't use the device much except for calls, texts, occasional web browsing, and that's it. The phone would last at least 2 days, usually 3 days because of minimal use. I'm also not too familiar with Android, except basic stuff.

Anyways, I made a mistake of updating to the new Verizon OTA update and now with same minimal use the phone drains like crazy. For example, I charged it full last night, and then when I woke up today, the phone's drained almost half, during which it was asleep, no usage at all.
Also, in the battery section, it says the screen's been on for only 36 min, but it seems as though Android OS and Cell Standby are awake the entire time screen is idle (15 hours 31 min) and maybe that's why the battery is draining even though the screen is off?

Does anyone have similar problem, and any possible solutions?
I also attached screenshots of battery section, just in case.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-14.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-14.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-21.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-21.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-30.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-30.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-37.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-37.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-44.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-41-44.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 84

stickmoney

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine as well. Its been off the charger for 3 hrs now and I'm below 50% this is update is crap I also have never have data issue as well. Not enjoying.my S3 right now

Oh is anyone else having issues with.texts not sending?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine as well. Its been off the charger for 3 hrs now and I'm below 50% this is update is crap I also have never have data issue as well. Not enjoying.my S3 right now

Oh is anyone else having issues with.texts not sending?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Yes...The majority of my texts would say "failed" but the other person would get them still.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly new user of Galaxy S3 (updated from iphone) and to be frank I don't use the device much except for calls, texts, occasional web browsing, and that's it. The phone would last at least 2 days, usually 3 days because of minimal use. I'm also not too familiar with Android, except basic stuff.

Anyways, I made a mistake of updating to the new Verizon OTA update and now with same minimal use the phone drains like crazy. For example, I charged it full last night, and then when I woke up today, the phone's drained almost half, during which it was asleep, no usage at all.
Also, in the battery section, it says the screen's been on for only 36 min, but it seems as though Android OS and Cell Standby are awake the entire time screen is idle (15 hours 31 min) and maybe that's why the battery is draining even though the screen is off?

Thank you.

Try a clearing of the phone's cache in recovery. To do this, power down. Press power, volume up and home at the same time. You will get a menu with a highlighted bar. Use the volume buttons to scroll down, and select wipe cache partition, hit power to select. After it's done, it should by default bring you to the top, already highlighting reboot now. Hit power.

See if that helps.

D850

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a battery drain issue on the previous 2 major updates i have not had any issue other than the phone seems to be on 3g a bit more than 4g with the most recent updated that added multi window. The fix for the battery drain issue I found that worked for me is backing up all my stuff to my google account and using the app my backup to back up my pictures and apps to my sd card. And then i unmounted and removed my sd card to be safe then I did a factory reset and loaded everything back up and got all my settings back where i like them and the battery drain issue is gone! Battery life went back to normal after the factory reset. I would recommend a backing up your stuff and doing a factory reset and that should fix it. I reset mine a month ago.

dlinares90

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Try a clearing of the phone's cache in recovery. To do this, power down. Press power, volume up and home at the same time. You will get a menu with a highlighted bar. Use the volume buttons to scroll down, and select wipe cache partition, hit power to select. After it's done, it should by default bring you to the top, already highlighting reboot now. Hit power.

See if that helps.

Just tried this and will post back with my results.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly new user of Galaxy SIII (updated from iphone) and to be frank I don't use the device much except for calls, texts, occasional web browsing, and that's it. The phone would last at least 2 days, usually 3 days because of minimal use. I'm also not too familiar with Android, except basic stuff.

Thank you.

16+ hours and at 47% remaining is really great battery life.

jkra

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

See if that helps.

Okay so I did this.
Before I erased the cache, there were random background apps constantly running (craps like Backup Media, PageBuddy, even Google Maps and Playstore even though I didn't even use them...etc). I stopped them from running.
After the reboot, I checked again and these apps were up and running again simultaneously!! So I guess nothing really changed?
Should I consider doing factory reset or just bringing it to Verizon and possibly getting a new phone? I hate dealing Verizon though. I had bad experience dealing with them in the past.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I did this.
Before I erased the cache, there were random background apps constantly running (craps like Backup Media, PageBuddy, even Google Maps and Playstore even though I didn't even use them...etc). I stopped them from running.
After the reboot, I checked again and these apps were up and running again simultaneously!! So I guess nothing really changed?
Should I consider doing factory reset or just bringing it to Verizon and possibly getting a new phone? I hate dealing Verizon though. I had bad experience dealing with them in the past.

Some apps automatically start when you boot the device. You can try to disable bloat in the Application Manager.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Based on your Screen Shot it was on battery 16h 33m 58s and at 47%. All I am saying that is good battery life for that length of time.

mrtwohands

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree 16 hours off charge and sitting at 40 something percent is good compared to me and some other users I have read about. My phone drops 8% within in an hour literally just sitting there doing nothing. Does anyone know what the largest MaH battery size is that will fit in our phones without replacing the battery door? I am using an Otterbox case and still want to be able to use it. I see a lot of batteries on amazon but none of them seem to say anything about replacing the battery door unless it comes with the battery. Thank you for any info.

bandti1

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon said today they are stopping the push of the 4.1.2 update for those who don't already have it. As for the rest of us who already have the update, it appears we have to wait until they come up with a fix.

I tried using BatteryGuru. It helps extend the battery life a little bit, but not much.

Let's see how long it takes Verizon to come up with a fix.

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
For the people who are frustrated by what the new update has brought, I suggest that you rollback to the previous JB version (the one before this update) Thats what I and a few other people in the forums did through odin (you dont have to be rooted to do it) and everything is back to normal :) Id suggest also just waiting for fixes via a new update that is slated to come out over the summer

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

mrtwohands

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
mrtwohands,
Check out http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=262531
7000 Mah Samsung Galaxy s3 battery for $31 - it includes a replacement back along with the battery. I'm not sure if it'll all fit in your Otterbox case, but I did see some posts about modding cases.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
I may look into that, Thanks. Only thing is I perfer not to modify my otterbox case.

For the people who are frustrated by what the new update has brought, I suggest that you rollback to the previous JB version (the one before this update) Thats what I and a few other people in the forums did through odin (you dont have to be rooted to do it) and everything is back to normal :) Id suggest also just waiting for fixes via a new update that is slated to come out over the summer

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
How would one go about doing this? My girlfiends S3 works perfect and mine, only at work mostly, suffers a major service issue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance