Verizon Galaxy S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

promart611

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

Make sure the Samsung drivers are installed. Power off your phone. Power on the phone in Download mode. (Volume Down + Home + Power) Press Volume Up to continue. Once it's in Download mode, plug it into your computer. Windows should now discover it and load the driver. Once this is complete, unplug the phone from the computer, and pull the battery out of the phone to get out of Download mode. Replace the battery, and power on the phone like normal. It should connect to the computer properly.

Thanks for the tip, but mine is stuck now in Downloading Android screen.... I'm connecting my S3 to a MacbookPro running OS 10.6.8 and the USB/Kies Wifi connection used to just fine (well, almost) until the latest Samsung firmware update, whatever version that was. Also Kies is updated to the latest version, but obviously it doesn't help either....

Is it only me or other people find that having to use pseudo hacks into what should work by itself are normal for an OS that's supposed to beat Apple's iOS?
I switched to GS3 from the iPhone for ease of use and what do I get? Updates and firmwares that screw up the phone? Looks like Apple all over again.

Shame on you Samsung!

eaBatzer

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem (Windows 7 laptop won't recognize phone). I thought was because I tried to install the latest driver so I could run App Inventor but after reading these threads, I realize that I ran the Samsung update since last attempting to connect via USB.

So after attempting mrbowlman's solution, which sounded so promising, my S3 is in download mode for the past 10 minutes. How long should I leave it? Will it brick it if I pull out the battery? There is nothing popping up on the laptop so I don't think this is the fix.

BTW I'm not complaining about the proposed solution, just nervous about getting the phone back to it's (almost) working state.

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site

So after attempting mrbowlman's solution, which sounded so promising, my S3 is in download mode for the past 10 minutes. How long should I leave it? Will it brick it if I pull out the battery? There is nothing popping up on the laptop so I don't think this is the fix.

It shouldn't take long for Windows to do what it needs while in Download mode. If I recall, you should see the "installing driver" pop up after plugging it in. Once that's done, you can just pull the battery to get out of download mode. You may be able to check to see if the phone shows up in device manager while in download mode. You won't brick anything by pulling the battery while in download mode unless you're in the middle of flashing something with Odin. (you wouldn't need to pull the battery like this if you were flashing something with Odin, as Odin sends a reboot command after the flash)

To be clear, you won't be able to view the contents of the internal memory and sdcard while in download mode like you would if the the phone was fully booted and connected to your pc like normal.

eaBatzer

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I went ahead and reset the battery, phone is back to original state. THANK YOU for your prompt response; I'm not a big hardware hacker, just trying to download some pictures like I should be able to!

Kody Nelson

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried downloading the app tTorrent? That's where I get a lot of my music from, I'm sure podcasts are on there also.. but it's a free app and works great in wifi.. also auto places it to your phone once download is complete

ACelts

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

After a bunch more time since having this issue I've only realized one thing.

It's extremely inconsistent if it connects correctly. One day the phone will connect, then next it won't, with no pattern known to man. I don't want to deal with download mode every other time I connect my phone to my computer. I really don't find it that big a deal, but I could see some times where this could be awful. Still looking for a permanent fix/solution to this for sure.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

ACelts,
Did you perform a Factory Reset after getting the most recent OTA (what you referred to as the Premium Suite)?
Did you also boot into Recovery mode and clear the cache?
If you're sure that your problem started after the recent update and you haven't tried those two things, that's where you should start (clearing the cache being the easiest thing to try first).
Of course, you could revert to the previous firmware if it comes down to it, but then you'll have to deal with the update harassing you.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

L Sick

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

im having just the same thing happening to my phone it charge but it wont connect or show up on my computer :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

It sounds like you're using a "charge-only" cable (only 4 pins present) vs. a "data cable" (all 5 pins present).
If that's not the case then you haven't provided us enough information to go on.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Cammi55

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Here is the fun thing. Kies Air has no problems at all connecting to my Samsung I-897 I can do whatever file transfers I want but Kies or Kies mini will not connect at all with my phone even after I select Kies (Firmware update) on the phone and the phone says connected but Kies on my pc says connect to a device. So transferring files great firmware updates not so good.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Cammi55,
I'm not sure what you're getting at - Kies Air is intended for file transfer, but not for firmware updates. If you want to update the firmware on your phone, put it in Download mode, then connect it to your PC and run the Kies software. Don't worry about whether it thinks it's connected or not - just choose the "Tools" menu, then "Emergency Firmware Recovery" (or something like that).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

George Ioannou

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

One thing to make sure of is that the cable you're using does power AND data.

There are some usb cables that only do one or the other, especially the cheap ones.

I just went through all of these steps to reinstall the drivers on my phone, but in the end it was the cable!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Spencer,
What "download" are you referring to?
- If you put your phone in Download mode, it just sits there (forever) waiting for you to initiate a download.
- If you start a firmware download using the Kies software, it'll first download the actual firmware via the Internet (the time that takes depends on your Internet connection) and then it'll flash the firmware (that part takes five or ten minutes at the most).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bubblefarts01

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for helping, I was having the same problem with my S3 while trying to restore some files and my laptop could not find my device. i put the phone in Download mode but as it was installing, it said that it was unable to find the CDC Serial and the SAMSUNG_Android_SCH-R530C. Are you able to help with that?

lgarrislaw

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I ran into the same problem. It didn't seem to make any sense why I couldn't get my phone to do anything other than charge when connected to my PC. I followed your advice and cleaned out the micro usb port on my phone a little, and it connects perfectly! Thanks

Gadgitmyster

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I had a similar problem but changing the cable to my original Samsung cable seams to have done the trick.

Zoandar

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Before I try this Download Mode procedure, is there any other way to get back from download mode besides pulling the battery? My case is really difficult to remove.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1