Just got off the phone at Verizon......repair is in the works for the recent OTA gaggle!

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I finally talked to someone at Verizon who didn't give me the deer in the headlight look when discussing all the issues with the latest OTA. According to an email between Verizon and Samsung, a fix is in the works. Now, Samsung set a July time frame for a fix which could be anytime by the beginning of July or the end. I know this sucks, big time. However, at least someone has finally realized that there is a problem. The recent update has been pulled. Also, if you choose to get a CLNR replacement, there is no guarantees that the most recent update hasn't been loaded. I'm sure some have, some have not. It's like rolling the dice.

Just wanted to pass this along and to obviously take it with a grain of salt. I'm just passing on info that came out to the Verizon tech support today. Even though they said July, fingers crossed that it's before then!

Posted via Android Central App

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I finally talked to someone at Verizon who didn't give me the deer in the headlight look when discussing all the issues with the latest OTA. According to an email between Verizon and Samsung, a fix is in the works. Now, Samsung set a July time frame for a fix which could be anytime by the beginning of July or the end. I know this sucks, big time. However, at least someone has finally realized that there is a problem. The recent update has been pulled. Also, if you choose to get a CLNR replacement, there is no guarantees that the most recent update hasn't been loaded. I'm sure some have, some have not. It's like rolling the dice.

Just wanted to pass this along and to obviously take it with a grain of salt. I'm just passing on info that came out to the Verizon tech support today. Even though they said July, fingers crossed that it's before then!

So with the way VZW does things with OTA release that should mean they will release it to us August 2013 or September 2013 if Samsung gives it to VZW in July 2013. That is not a very acceptable schedule, customers need to put more heat on VZW more on VZW because according to them the reason OTA's take so long to come out is they are thoroughly testing the software to minimize problems for it's customers. VZW must have put the heads were the sun don't shine on the last release they just pulled and then turned around and blamed Samsung. I guess they have to blame someone, anyone but themselves.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Other than the battery getting sucked, I don't seem to be having any problems with the new update.
I did turn the dual screen off though. That sucks since it's only certain programs that use it.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This update has crippled my phone. 90% of the places that I would get a strong 4g signal now goes to 3g. Pages will not load due to slow connection. I use this as a mobile hotspot and I'm not getting what I paid for!! This needs to be fixed ASAP!!

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you 100%. My connection speed is virtually non existent and I'm even experiencing problems sending texts. Beyond frustrating!!

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Looks like they offered you a CLNR. Did they offer to credit you per month for unusable data? Just a thought before I call them.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The first tech support girl didn't have a clue. Or she pretended not to have a clue. She wanted me to jump through all these hoops while I was at the airport waiting to catch a flight. I hung up and called back on my "crackberry" and got someone else. He readily admitted there is a problem with the software. He said they quit rolling out the software update. No ETA on a software fix. I asked him if VZW wanted me to go without the phone data and hotspot data I'm paying for while they're trying to figure it out. He said he'd fix the problem by shipping me a CLNR. Will keep you posted.

yellowmac

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon need to teacher their tech's how to roll back the update to the previous version. If the phone company sends an alert about a update... changing the sims card and factory rest is not cutting it .. I don't want a replacement phone for their error ... replacement should be the last result after the roll back

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes. However, your CLNR replacement phone may or may not have the update on it. I'm going to suffer and wait this out. I would rather not trade in my new phone for a refurbished one. Fingers crossed that a fix will come out soon.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes. However, your CLNR replacement phone may or may not have the update on it. I'm going to suffer and wait this out. I would rather not trade in my new phone for a refurbished one. Fingers crossed that a fix will come out soon.

I'm lucky in that I have wifi at home, in my car and a secure system at work. Otherwise I'd just leave the sucker at home. Amazing the battery can lose 15% in a couple hours doing nothing, and that's on wifi!

NewPepper

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Don't suffer! You can roll the software back to the VRBMB1 version very easily. Instructions are in this forum. Believe me it is very easy, it takes longer to download the files then to do the rollback. You will love your GS3 again.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Most of the posters I've seen have been positive about the CLNR they've received. Luckily the 4g data seems to work fine at home but at work it goes to 3x the 1x most of the day (Used to be strong 4g). They are sending me a 32gig S3 (Yes I made sure they replaced like with like). If the CLNR does not solve my problem I think I will pull the trigger on a S4 on swappa.

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I have thought many times about rolling back the software. Maybe I'm just scared that I will mess this phone up worse than it already is.

cnlson

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
This update has crippled my phone. 90% of the places that I would get a strong 4g signal now goes to 3g. Pages will not load due to slow connection. I use this as a mobile hotspot and I'm not getting what I paid for!! This needs to be fixed ASAP!!
flash one of the older modems and it will go back to the way it was

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante