Verizon S3: How to get back to previous version and radios

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm just sick about what was a perfect device for me ruined by the recent update. I know there is a root section to these forums, but honestly the jargon makes it impossible to understand. I simply want to root my device and go back to the version right before this update as many others have and get their phone working again. Are there any step by step instructions for this that can be understood? I'm very good with PCs, and software in general, but the talk about Odin and ROMs just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure if there was a 1 2 3....steps outlined it is probably very easy. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to get back to previous version and radios

For the future

If you backup your stock before update with kies I think you can roll it back

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

There is a procedure discussed in this thread that I'm going to try when I get some time tomorrow.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=727898
Verizon please push the BMB1 (previous) update

I'm in the same boat - I'm a little squeamish about rooting my phone. The main reason was my mistrust and uncertainty of putting software created/uploaded by who-knows on the most critical device I have. I figured I'd trust the vendor and their official images...but look what that got me. And yes, the jargon and tons of rooting-related info is daunting to this unrooted user.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I just completed the downgrade to the previous version (MB1) on my non-rooted S3. I've never been one to tinker with my phone, so I was worried about scewing something up, but it couldn't have been any easier. Took a while to download the firmware, but other than that, it was hassle free.

Instructions are here

DroidViews | How to Install Android 4.1.1/4.1.2 Jelly Bean Stock Firmware on Galaxy S3

Firmware download is here

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: Samsung-Updates.com-SCH-I535-VZW-I535VRBMB1-1360821900.zip

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

It's too bad the article doesn't say anything about how to prevent your phone from taking the latest OTA, since once you revert to the previous firmware your phone will be ripe for the OTA. I'm not sure how long you can defer the update, and the only way I know of to prevent it involves being rooted (unless of course Verizon has finally wised up and pulled the update).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm just sick about what was a perfect device for me ruined by the recent update. I know there is a root section to these forums, but honestly the jargon makes it impossible to understand. I simply want to root my device and go back to the version right before this update as many others have and get their phone working again. Are there any step by step instructions for this that can be understood? I'm very good with PCs, and software in general, but the talk about Odin and ROMs just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure if there was a 1 2 3....steps outlined it is probably very easy. Thanks!

Ok...let's see if we can clear up some jargon. ODIN: A PC program that installs ROMs to your Galaxy S3. ROM: A version of software that allows the device to run. An OK analogy would be any gaming system like the old Nintendos, Sega, etc. The hardware was the console, the ROM was each game.

Now, here is the interesting factoid: You don't really need to be rooted to flash (install) a stock ROM. Finding the appropriate file, using odin, and getting the phone into download mode, and you are almost home free. In fact, assuming you were rooted and wanted to go back to a stock ROM, the flashing of the stock would break root access anyway.

hhwc

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I just completed the downgrade to the previous version (MB1) on my non-rooted S3. I've never been one to tinker with my phone, so I was worried about scewing something up, but it couldn't have been any easier. Took a while to download the firmware, but other than that, it was hassle free.

Instructions are here

DroidViews | How to Install Android 4.1.1/4.1.2 Jelly Bean Stock Firmware on Galaxy S3

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: Samsung-Updates.com-SCH-I535-VZW-I535VRBMB1-1360821900.zip

Does rolling back the firmware wipe personal data, apps and settings?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Instructions are here

The instructions noted appear to be for upgrading from ICS to JB, not downgrading from the new upgrade to the original 4.1.2? Another article said this wasn't the correct way, the biggest difference being a full factory reset and data cache clear.

Just wanted to verify that flashing the VRBMB1 file over MB2 without a reset would work?

Confused ;)

gimemoore

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Worked great on mine. I checked for updates after going back, and it said I was up to date, so the update has indeed been pulled.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

The instructions noted appear to be for upgrading from ICS to JB, not downgrading from the new upgrade to the original 4.1.2? Another article said this wasn't the correct way, the biggest difference being a full factory reset and data cache clear.

Just wanted to verify that flashing the VRBMB1 file over MB2 without a reset would work?

Confused ;)

The instructions are for flashing a firmware, doesn't matter if it's an upgrade or downgrade. The instructions I posted are most definitely the right way. You only need to do the factory reset prior to if you're running a custom rom.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I really want to get into rooting and doing my own thing on these devices. I just like tinkering with them. This week I won't have time due to being on the road. Anyway, I wanted to update everyone on what I found out yesterday from Verizon, and some things they did to my phone at the store that improved reception ALMOST back to where it was.

We went to the VZW store as my son's Droid Charge is crapping out and we got him the S4. Great phone......I don't see much advantage to it from the S3, but from the Charge it is a big jump. Anyway, back to the S3. For the first time the person who helped knew more than we did. This guy was great. He admitted to rooting his own VZW phone. He knew about the S3 issue and told me there are VZW internal tech forums only employees have access to and he said the radio in this update came flawed from Samsung. They know it and a fix will be coming (who knows when though?). I normally would dismiss this as we all know the old story of "the Verizon rep told me...." He asked if he could "tweak" my S3 which I handed over to him. He walked me through what he thought would help and explained the changes to me. We went through every app and disabled a ton of them after he told me what they did and that I would not use them.

Then we went to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Global Data Roaming Access. He turned that setting to "Allow access for all trip." He said this menu is really mislabeled. I told him I am not going out of the country with the phone and he said this also turns on "roaming" to other carrier towers that my phone will connect to if they have a better signal. As long as you are in the US there is no charge for this. He said this is always set this way on his phones. I had already gone through all the other settings in this menu such as setting Network Mode to CDMA/LTE, and made sure LTE-Verizon Internet was checked in Access Point Names.

Just doing this my phone immediately went from 3 bars to 4 bars in the store (other phones on display were already at 4 or 5). So far after a day, this has made a huge difference in my download speeds. After the update I could get 1 or 2 bars in my downstairs den, but the connections would be erratic and time out on the Speed Test. Now I still only get 2 bars down there, but the data is dependable.

Now I don't know how long this will work, and there could be many other reasons I'm getting better and more stable data now. I've seen other posts on here where people thought they found a fix, only after a day or so it was back to the crappy way it was after the update. Try it and let me know if you get improvement.

richgs

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for all of the info. I am going to give this a try as soon as my phone charges up.

richgs

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

It said fail and now my phone won't turn on!!! Any help please!!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon