My phone was never rooted before, I was waiting for the update. Can it be unlocked and rooted now? or do I need to wait
    06-29-2013 10:17 AM
    My phone was never rooted before, I was waiting for the update. Can it be unlocked and rooted now? or do I need to wait
    Welcome to the forums!
    You don't need to wait to root your phone. However, once you do, you will no longer be able to accept OTA updates, as they may unroot or even brick your device.
    No offense, though, but why do you want to root?
    06-29-2013 10:26 AM
    Welcome to the forums!
    You don't need to wait to root your phone. However, once you do, you will no longer be able to accept OTA updates, as they may unroot or even brick your device.
    No offense, though, but why do you want to root?
    I would like to get rid of some of the bloat. I may not do it but I was reading about it and noticed that there were two different boot chains one for VRBMB1 and VRBMB3 well after the update I'm VRBMF1 sooo do I need a different bootchain now?
    06-29-2013 11:01 AM
    What is it that you hope to accomplish when you "get rid of some of the bloat"?
    - Are you aware that pretty much everything that could be considered bloat only occupies about 300MB (I added it all up once, and it was slightly less but this is a good ballpark figure) of space on your internal storage? Even if you only have 16GB, with only 11GB usable, that's such a small percentage that it's essentially irrelevant.
    - Are you aware that you can disable most (not all) of the bloat simply by going into the Application Manager, scrolling to the All tab, and then selecting each item that you consider bloatware and choosing Disable? (For some apps you first have to uninstall any updates that were downloaded before you can disable the app.)
    - Have you seen all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth by people who didn't know what they were doing, who rooted/attempted to root and then ended up with unusable phones (not to mention voided warranties)?
    Is it really worth all of that just to get rid of some crapware that, more often than not, you won't even know is there?

If so - check out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42791826
    (note that I ended up having to do this twice - the second time I brought up a Command Window as Administrator and ran the executable from within it, and it worked as expected; the first time I had just manually launched it, and when it completed I didn't receive the expected prompt in TWRP and there were also errors in the log) [caveat emptor]

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
    06-29-2013 11:22 AM
    One benefit of rooting that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to install ad blocking software like AdAway. Another is the ability to install Titanium Backup, although if you do not root or otherwise fiddle with your phone's software much having the Titanium backups isn't as relevant.
    06-29-2013 12:35 PM
    One benefit of rooting that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to install ad blocking software like AdAway. Another is the ability to install Titanium Backup, although if you do not root or otherwise fiddle with your phone's software much having the Titanium backups isn't as relevant.
    And another good reason for rooting is to block anymore Verizon updates, I flashed back to MB1 from MB3 then rooted and blocked the Software update. I have yet to be notified of the MF1 update
    06-29-2013 01:10 PM
    - Are you aware that you can disable most (not all) of the bloat simply by going into the Application Manager, scrolling to the All tab, and then selecting each item that you consider bloatware and choosing Disable?
    A side effect I see to this is, if you have to choose an app for a default action (which browser to use to open a webpage), you have to "reset ALL" in Application Manager. Doing so returns all the disabled apps to enabled. Very annoying.
    06-29-2013 03:11 PM
    If you'd like to receive carrier updates in the future, I'd suggest taking a look at the application Triangle Away. Temporarily unroots your device so you can receive updates, and with a push off a button, you're rerooted!

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1
    JIsabelle218 likes this.
    06-29-2013 03:13 PM
    A side effect I see to this is, if you have to choose an app for a default action (which browser to use to open a webpage), you have to "reset ALL" in Application Manager. Doing so returns all the disabled apps to enabled. Very annoying.
    No you do not. You simply go to the application that is set as the default, and scroll down until you see 'clear default'.

Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-29-2013 03:15 PM
    I rooted to get rid of the next to last update that ruined my phone. Now I added Google Wallet and Titanium Backup and blocked any updates to keep me happy. So, rooting is a good idea if you want to use the phone to its fullest like it's meant to be.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-29-2013 04:16 PM
    No you do not. You simply go to the application that is set as the default, and scroll down until you see 'clear default'.
    That will work to clear one you don't want, not one you do.
    06-29-2013 04:50 PM
    That will work to clear one you don't want, not one you do.
    If you were to install,.. Let's say QuikPic, and inside an application, say Facebook, you wanted to upload a picture. You click on it, and instead of going straight to the gallery, Android would give you an option to either choose QuikPic, or your gallery, asking with the action of only choosing that option once, or setting it as the default application to open when doing the predefined action.

So, you choose the gallery, and pick the option always, so it is set as the default application to open, when choosing to upload a picture on Facebook.

Say you explore QuikPic, and find that you like it's functionality better, than the stock gallery application. You would go to the gallery application page, under the apps tab in your settings, and scroll down to the option 'clear defaults'. In clearing this, you clear the application of any default preference on actions that call upon the gallery for function.

Say you go to Facebook to upload another picture, and when you click the button to upload, you will not be taken to the gallery, but instead be offered to choose between QuikPic, or your gallery. If you choose QuikPic, then select 'always', any function that calls upon the gallery, will instead lead you to be redirected to QuickPic instead.

This will only happen, if you have two applications that perform the same function, such as launchers, lock screen replacements, etc..,

I hope that clears up any confusion you might have had, concerning what I previously stated.

anon(238680) likes this.
    06-29-2013 05:04 PM
    If you were to install,.. Let's say QuikPic, and inside an application, say Facebook, you wanted to upload a picture. You click on it, and instead of going straight to the gallery, Android would give you an option to either choose QuikPic, or your gallery, asking with the action of only choosing that option once, or setting it as the default application to open when doing the predefined action.
    So, you choose the gallery, and pick the option always, so it is set as the default application to open, when choosing to upload a picture on Facebook.
    What you had said first, and this very clear explanation, is essentially what I'm seeing, with the exception that my choice is not saved and I go back and "clear all". I will explore your method some more with a couple more programs.

Thanks much!
    06-30-2013 01:38 PM