Got replacement S3 - 4G not staying connected!

shley00

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice and support because Verizon has been useless up until this point and I can't find anything helpful online!

I have had a S3 since it came out with no issues until I dropped it and broke my screen :( I got my replacement from insurance and ever since I updated the software on it to the newest version, (Android 4.1.2, Baseband version I535VRBMF1), my phone rarely EVER is able to stay connected to 4G for more than 2 minutes before switching back to 3G.

When i did research on Google it looks like this was an issue in the version before this one, but can't find anything about this version of 4.1.2 having issues?

I have tried to do a factory reset twice, and it has done nothing To fix the problem. What happens is I will start up my phone, and initially it might connect to 4G, but within 30 seconds to 2 minutes it will return to 3G and rarely ever return back to 4G. If it does come back, it will only stay connected for 30 second and them return to 3G.

This has been going on for 2 weeks now. I Waited to give it some time before calling Verizon but they provided no insight or help.

Can anyone give me suggestions? My last resort would be to get a replacement again unless it was free, which we know won't happen!

Ashley

Samsung Galaxy S III - Running Android 4.1.2, Baseband version I535VRBMF1

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did the replacement phone work correctly before you updated it, or did you update it right away after getting it?

You could try using the Kies software on your PC to flash the firmware again, in the hopes that it fixes your problem. Or you could use Odin and try reloading the MF1 firmware that way.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

shley00

May 6, 2010
Visit site
It updated itself the minute I turned on the replacement. So I'm afraid I don't know!

How do I update with Kies?

Thanks!

Ashley

Samsung Galaxy S III - Running Android 4.1.2, Baseband version I535VRBMF1

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have not tried Kies (yet), but I have read that if you are going to use Kies, make this the main method for moving files (pictures, music, etc.)

That said, I just recently received an SIII was a warranty replacement for my Galaxy Nexus ( 5 replacements in 3 months not due to abuse) and I like the phone so far. I noted my co-worker with a new SIII was getting 4G LTE strong signale, while my phone would not "lock" onto the signal.

I called Technical Support and they had me change a few settings, turn the phone off for 3-5 minutes, possible updated the PRL and had me restart the phone (not reset) and change the setting again. And miraculously, I have a much better 4G signal.

Wireless and networks
More settings
Mobile Networks

There is Global Data roaming access. Toggle it off

Mobile data, toggle it off

Network mode leave ion cdma/lte/evdo.

Shut phone down.

Pull Battery and Sim card.

Wait 3-5 minutes.

Reinsert sim and battery.

Toggle global data to Deny data roaming and Mobile data.

Wait a few minutes for phone to connect to network.

Can't guarantee it will work, but it helped my phone. And with a reconditioned SIII now, and upgrade eligibility, I can now wait to see what comes out in the next few months or wait until next year!!

shley00

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info but unfortunately it didn't work ::( I tired twice! It conbected to 4G after startup but went right back ti 3G 2 min later.

Just a note I'm in NYC so its not a signal issue!

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Houston and signal should not be an issue either!!

What I did was call from a landline and the TS representative walked me through various steps. For some carriers, you can manually update the PRL (pref roaming list), but not on the SIII. My TS representative asked for permission to remote into my phone. They changed some settings and restarted the phone. All has been better since this was done last Thursday, cause I was ready to just upgrade this week to a non-Samsung device (Gnex poor radios after 4.2 ugrade and poor radios on SIII). I was going to get an S4 this week, but since it appears my signal issues are better,l will give this device a few weeks.

Also, keep in mind (based upon what a Verizon employee told me):

The 3G and 4G indicator simply means you are connected to that data network. The "bars" you see are for voice and text. So if your 4G or 3G does not stay "lit", you are dropping down to EVDO/1xrtt. With a strong network signal and a 4G LTE device, your phone should be able to latch on to a native Verizon signal or roaming partner.

Good Luck!

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Technical Support. And not the first level. The person transferred me to the next level when I told them my son's Sprint SIII was getting better than my Verizon SIII!

I just switched one of our lines to Verizon buying an S4 and it gets really good signal.

shley00

May 6, 2010
Visit site
On the phone with trch support now! Thankfully the first tier guy wasn't an ***** and didn't make me do the reset and a million other things i have already tried 50 times. On hold to speak further with second tier people.

shley00

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So apparently the only thinh left to try Is to go to the store tomorrow to get s new SIM to see if tha t fixes it. Otherwise they said only resolution is sending me a replacement. GRRR!

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I had my sim replaced prior to getting the S3. Sometimes you wonder if they are guessing or actually fixing the problem!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Edit:

After my last replacement, I purposely did not reload any software on my device except GMail. This way the often standard "it's some program you installed" comment is null and void. The sad this many stores are simply not set up to trouble shoot your device past, 1. Its the software 2. Its the Sim Card. Back "in the old days (90's-2000's) stores had actually space for technicians they would actually take your phone and "bench test" by running various diagnostics. As a matter of fact, phones should have the software built into the OS, maybe in settings somewhere.

I have lines with Sprint and I get those excuses all the time. They once told me the problem with my Blackberry was that I got too much email on (from only 2 accounts) and it was crashing my phone! Just recently they kept telling me, its not the hardware but the software on your phone. After pressing, they took it in back and said there was some corrosion causing the issue. I took pictures of the water damage indicators and I was good, so while they did offer to replace the device, 3 weeks into having issues using the phone. The line was off-contract so I switched it to VZ with an S4.

S4 is what I want, but the S3 has the features I want and as long as it works, it's hard to justify buying the S4 right now.

I truly hope your issue gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Kies allows you to back up your data all at once in one location as well as download new Samsung firmware when its available. You can also set kies up to perform auto backups as well. Its a nice tool. One other thing you might want to try is downloading the speedtest app and running it when you have a 4g signal and then when it migrates to 3g. Chances are the differences in speed is marginal and it may just be the phones radio bouncing back and forth and not the signal. You might also be experiencing signal interference from the built environment as well as other carriers populating and competing for signal in the same area.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So apparently the only thinh left to try Is to go to the store tomorrow to get s new SIM to see if tha t fixes it. Otherwise they said only resolution is sending me a replacement. GRRR!

take the replacement if your having issues it is more then likely more then a software modem issue :)

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If they are sending you a warranty replacement, that is better than paying the deductible to get a similar quality refurb from Asurion.

I went through my 4th Gnex Replacement. It wasn't too bad as all my settings were backed up. But, when I switched to a SIII last week, the transition wasn't as smooth. But this gave me the opportunity to "clean up", the apps I had on the phone. So far, having this replacement has me not ugrading to a G4, or Droid Maxx and keeping my money ($299 for the 32GB G4 and same for Droid Maxx).

And even if I change my mind in the next 2-3 months, I can either keep the phone as a backup or sell it.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
It's rare that a Certified Like New replacement device actually works (Verizon)...Sprint ones tended to work, but were chintzily refurbished.

You can try using an eyeglasses screwdriver to loosen & tighten up all the screws on the back. The antennas must press tightly against the contacts under the screwed on covers...doubt it is that simple, but it is possible!

Posted via Android Central App

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It's rare that a Certified Like New replacement device actually works (Verizon)...Sprint ones tended to work, but were chintzily refurbished.

You can try using an eyeglasses screwdriver to loosen & tighten up all the screws on the back. The antennas must press tightly against the contacts under the screwed on covers...doubt it is that simple, but it is possible!

Posted via Android Central App

one thing before you start tightening any screw is, do the screws have the "sticker covers" you sure wouldnt want to send back yet another device and they consider it tampered with.

and i would keep sending them back until you get one that works to your satisfaction, when the rezound 1st dropped i had it replaced 2x via vzw and 2x with asurion insurance ( 2nd replacement rezound from vzw was stolen). I send the 1st insruance replacement back do to light leak issues, 2nd one i got i sent back because of reception they finally just let me switch to another phone :)

Jameka MsFlorida

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
@shley00 my phone is doing the exact same thing..ive gotten a new sim, I've had 5 replacements in 2 weeks?.4 from saurian and then verizon agreed to send me 1, still the same thing. never had an issue with my old phone in which i only switched out because i had a cracked screen, now i so regret. I'm to think point where i am ready to switch companies because i am highly disappointed in verizon. i am going to the store tomorrow to demand that someone either upgrades my phone or allow me to cancel my contract without any fees due to this problem being out of my control and no one can fix it. did u ever find a solution?