Broken power button, is there any other way to turn the phone on?

sparklekitty123

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
My power button broke about a month ago, which wasn't a big deal unless my phone turned off as I would not be able to turn it back on. I took it to a local shop to have it fixed but they could not, saying that a soldering point was missing on the power button. So now my phone is off and as good as a paper weight. Now, I can send it off to Samsung and probably have it replaced, but they will wipe everything when they get the phone. I have things on my phone that are very important to me (text messages, notes) and if there is any way possible I would like to get these back.

Does anyone know of a way to turn the phone on without the power button? I was looking into this and someone mentioned maybe I could use a jig and Odin to force a reboot. I don't know if this will clear any data. Plus I don't really know how to use either of those but I am currently reading up on them to make myself familiar.

Any ideas?

sparklekitty123

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The place I took it to try and fix said a soldering point was missing, so I doubt the button can make a connection. I don't think its an easy fix, plus I'd be afraid I'd ruin the phone more by opening it up. But if it comes down to it I suppose I'd open it up and try something.

And no, taking out the battery and placing it back it does not turn the phone on.

Thanks though.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Might as well call Samsung and send it off!
But sorry for not reading the whole message, I understand wanting to keep your information. Maybe ask for a supervisor?
Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sparklekitty123,
A JIG should work. I believe they cause the phone to boot into Recovery mode, but once there you can reboot into the system.

I would think that you could specify that you want your phone repaired and the data left intact, but you'd have to contact Samsung to find out for sure.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the button can make a connection. I don't think its an easy fix, plus I'd be afraid I'd ruin the phone more by opening it up.
Thanks though.

You DO realize you don't have to actually solder anything, right? You just need it to turn on long enough to copy your stuff off it. Open it up as the video shows, tap the two lugs, the phone turns on, plug it into a computer, copy your stuff over, take the battery out, put it all back together, ship it off to Samsung. Mission accomplished.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is this a long term solution? My warranty expired and I have the sudden death problem

What do you mean by long term solution?
It should be able to turn on your phone but I'm pretty sure you'd have to do it any time you turn it off.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the sudden death problem
You have a problem with the Power button AND you have the sudden death syndrome? Or you simply have the sudden death syndrome?

What model do you have, and how long have you had it? (The International model is supposed to have a two year warranty - some EU requirement no doubt.)
Did you already contact Samsung to see if it was covered?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

edddwin

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by long term solution?
It should be able to turn on your phone but I'm pretty sure you'd have to do it any time you turn it off.

Yeah this worked. A little annoying having to connect it to a USB to turn it on but way better than a non working phone. Thanks

edddwin

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
You have a problem with the Power button AND you have the sudden death syndrome? Or you simply have the sudden death syndrome?

What model do you have, and how long have you had it? (The International model is supposed to have a two year warranty - some EU requirement no doubt.)
Did you already contact Samsung to see if it was covered?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Only had the sudden death syndrome. I took off the power button now works fine except having to turn it on through USB. I have the red gs3 16gb from att had it for 15 months or so till the sudden death started happening

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I took off the power button now works fine except having to turn it on through USB.
You took off the plastic piece that is the same colour as the phone, or you took the actual Power switch off the mainboard? If the latter, you can buy replacement parts on eBay or use a service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-power-button-repair/) to repair it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

AshleyVenter

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys so iv read everything u all have said about the power button , I was wondering can a faulty power button cause a bootloop ,I have a Samsung galaxy s 3 I9300 ,I was on the phone and it just started rebooting ,I can't access recovery mode , I can access the download mode via removing battery while usb is plugged in , if u keep the battery in it just starts the boot loop over even while I'm in download mode ,iv tried downloading new stock firmware to it but still bootloop , the only thing I have not tried is a jig device ,hope u guys can help me out.
Thanx
Ashley

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
can a faulty power button cause a bootloop
It certainly can, and your description makes that a distinct possibility.

As is probably mentioned above, you can try (gently) prying the Power button (the plastic piece, not the actual switch) off the phone. Once it's off, if the behavior doesn't stop, you can blow compressed air around the switch (with the battery out of course) and exercise the switch directly, which may loosen it up.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to get the switch replaced - you can find them on eBay if you're so inclined, or try http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-power-button-repair/

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

ron-byte

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Try using Flip Unlock. I've had a problem with my power button on my previous Nexus phone as well, and I tried different apps that use the volume button or the phone orientation, but this is the only app that works smoothly every time - you flip the phone down and up and it unlocks.
It doesn't have much flexibility in its settings but it's simple and does the job. You can also use the search button or an icon to lock the phone, so you won't have to use the power button at all.

Matthew Ryder

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had this same problem for the past week and there is a really simple fix. Obviously without a power button you have two problems: 1) you can't turn the screen on and off 2) you can't turn the phone on if the battery completely dies or is removed.

Solution to not being able to turn screen on and off
-Download one of the many apps that uses the accelerometer and/or proximity sensor to control the screen (such as 'Awesome On Off')

Solution to not being able to power on the phone
-Use "recovery mode" to turn the phone on and then click to restart the phone. Google search for how to enter recovery mode for your specific device, but for the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket you turn the phone off, disconnect the charging cable, and while it's off you press and hold both volume buttons at once. While holding these buttons you connect the usb charging cable and a message pops up telling you to press "volume up" to enter recovery mode or press "volume down" to exit recovery mode and restart the phone. Do this second option. Your phone will reboot and you'll be back to your home screen.

If your phone seems stuck in a reboot loop, your power button is probably stuck down. Banging the phone can help but the best way is to open it up and solder on a new button. This is a huge pain in the *** because the solder pads are so small, so when my button did this I just got a little aggressive and took it off in pieces. I have to use the two steps described above from now on, but at least I have the phone.

Hope this helps someone!