Poor data performance

Michael_86

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have really poor performance with my verizon gs3, I tired all possible roms, replaced the sim card and I even got a new replacement phone which is now running the stock version 4.2.1

I'm located in downtown SF and my data just won't connect, it shows that I have 3 bars and it's 4G LTE but I'm not able to do anything, my whatsapp won't connect, not even able to load a youtube video.

Any ideas?

D850

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issues here in Washington state north of Seattle. When I am at work it started after the last system update. 4g Data speeds varies from not usable at all to 3g speed while on 4G. Some days it's ok most days it says 2-3 bars of 4G and it is 3g speed or a hair faster or its as slow as 1x or not working at all. I have tried a new sim card nothing tried a replacement phone no change. So I am going to upgrade to the Motorola droid maxx or the S4 or the HTC one. It frustrating I use my phone most at work and it doesn't work consistently.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you mean 4.1.2? There is no stock 4.2.1 firmware on Verizon.

The number of bars that you see is your cellular (voice & SMS) signal, not your 4G/LTE (mobile data) signal. It is odd that it would be showing that you have an LTE signal rather than a 3G or 1x signal, and then not be working.

What happens when you go to other areas of SF? Do you get a working connection anywhere? What about friends that are on Verizon - what kind of signal do they get in the same location?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Michael_86

May 29, 2013
Visit site
*Yes I meant the stock 4.1.2

I just got back from a vacation and the connection was a blast so I know it's not the phone or the sim.

I decided to take a further look, I have a friend with gs3 but he's with AT&T - I configured the phone to work with his sim card (manually set the APN) and it works faster than my Verizon sim.

When before I was not able to load or even access youtube for instance with this AT&T's sim card it was roaming (had the E) and it was way faster than I ever saw on my phone...

Calling Verizon...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If this problem is just in your residence in SF, and it works fine elsewhere in the city, then you may need to get a network extender. If it doesn't work at all in the city - well, you already know which network does. :banghead:

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
NSA is testing new software on all people whose nickname contains a number. It uses up all bandwidth sending stuff to their dropbox. Best you can hope for is that they let you change to a non-numeric nickname.

hahaha just kidding, sorry 4G sucks where you are, must be all the hipsters.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
That is just his nickname on this Forum. Numbers would have nothing to do with his problem as All S3's are named with the model number of the phone.

Michael_86

May 29, 2013
Visit site
OK I have an update and boy prepare yourself for a good one...

So I called the tech support and talked to a guy who escalated the case to a senior network engineer who opened a ticket with a filed engineer that will come to downtown San Francisco to check the signal strength in my zip code here.

The escalation engineer called me back saying that it looks to be a known issue with that zip code and that they don't have any data connectivity there because of oversubscribing and too many phones connecting to the same antenna. He said that they are working on fixing it but it has to do with regulations and city laws and FCC and what not but basically there's no data connectivity, it's a known issue and they don't know when they are going to fix it, but they are working on it.

He offered to waive the "early termination fee" if I choose to go to a different provider, I told him that I'd like to think about that and run a few tests. When me and him were troubleshooting the data connectivity he was not able to connect to my phone to get any logs (the Verizon software didn't respond as there was no data connectivity) nor any success with speedtest.net app (could reach any server what so ever).

I ran a few tests, and read online about the best connectivity in SF are and saw that AT&T and T-mobile were much faster, I have another friend at work that has the same gs3 like mine but his is on AT&T - we opened the same youtube link - his started playing after 5 seconds while mine tried to connect for a minute and then showed an error message.

Moreover, I took his sim card and configured an APN on my phone for AT&T and I had data connectivity (for the first time) - I did had the "not verizon sim card" error message though.
Anyways, while the AT&T was roaming it was faster than my own Verizon sim.

I decided that I'll move to AT&T and called again to the tech support guys at Verizon, after moving between several different engineers that told me they can fix my issue (which they didn't) I finally got to the same department where the first engineer offered to waive my termination fee.

However, this time it was a different engineer - and he consulted his manager and because "they are working on fixing the issue" he can't waive the termination fee (even though it was offered before).
So I'm talking to manager that tries to lure me into a bigger data plan (god only knows why) I ask to talk to a higher manager that tries to reduce my bill but won't waive the early termination fee.

To summarize:
1. I have no data connectivity on my phone at my work place where I spend about 50% of my day
2. Verizon acknowledge the issue and say they are working on it.
3. They can't say for sure when the issue will be solved, 2 weeks or 2 months or 2 years - it's not us it's the city and the state and everyone except them.
4. They offer to reduce my monthly bill - but I honestly don't care about that if I don't get any data connectivity (my employer pays for my phone bill so I'm really in need of the service I'm paying them for).
5. They offered to waive the "early termination fee" but when I decided to leave they won't accept that as an option anymore - the engineer that offered that is no where to be found apparently and they "can't listen to that recording cause they don't have access to those records"

So when I summarized my phone conversation with the high verizon manager I asked him the following:
Me: "So you expect me to continue pay you money every month and not get what I'm paying for?"
Verizon Manager: "Yes, we are working on fixing the issue and it will take a while but we will fix it eventually"
Me: "Can you give me an ETA when that's going to happen?"
Verizon Manager: "I don't know, maybe a month maybe a year - who knows"

I honestly don't know what to do now, I think that VERIZON ARE THIEVES !
I'm paying money due to the contract but I'm NOT GETTING WHAT I'M PAYING FOR

The early termination fee for me is $130 (which my employer won't cover as it's not business related) so if I'll move I'll have to pay that, plus an additional $200 for a new device and another $50 for activation with a different network.

And I'm thinking to myself, how many other customers Verizon deceived like that?

Any thoughts? Recommendations on what to do next?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
1. Tell those cheapskates at your work to put in Wi-Fi so that you can just use that for your data needs.
2. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (what the hell, file one with the FCC as well) about Verizon mis-representing their coverage and service, as well as their failure to honor the offer by one of their employees.
3. Buy a Nexus 4 on Google Play and use it on T-Mobile.
4. See if you can downgrade your contract with Verizon and just use a dumb phone for the remainder of your contract.

Funny how we have to keep out part of the contract, but Verizon can screw us with no repercussions...
:banghead:
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

Michael_86

May 29, 2013
Visit site
1. I do have Wi-Fi at work, I don't know what I would do without it however when we have group text which often converts to MMS, or even if I want to send an MMS message - I can't... I get messages much later on at night when I'm home already :/
3. According to 3G and 4G LTE Cell Coverage Map - OpenSignal - the best 3G/4G LTE coverage in downtown SF is via AT&T - I tested them both and it did feel like AT&T's faster
4. I don't want to downgrade my account, I don't want to pay them anything at all! I don't get why I should pay for something I'm not using...

I was thinking about making a video in downtown SF showing people on youtube why not get a Verizon phone (comparing it to the competitors) - any thoughts?

KBEAR678

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you and willing to do a video. I think you should have someone trying to get their music going on a VZ phone but having issues and someone with an ATT phone walking by bobbing their head to the beat and enjoying life. Then a screen saying, "VZ figure this metropolitan 4G things out! I'm paying you $100 for the speed!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37