Solved. Internal data usage - pictures and videos

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
In Settings - Storage, I get a total of 735mb used for pics and videos on the internal SD card. But all those files are on the external card.
Any way to get it to read correctly?

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Internal data usage - pictures and videos

Are you sure those pic and video files are on the external SD and not in internal storage? Maybe they got duplicated somehow in internal storage? Try unmounting your external SD card and removing it, then checking the Storage stats again. Also try a 3rd party file manager app like Total Commander (if your phone doesn't have a stock file manager) and look for your pics and videos in the directory /storage/sdcard0/DCIM/Camera. (sdcard0 is the internal storage, not the external SD.)

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Uh, yeah. I'm sure they're on the ext card. File Manager, and ES File Explorer
both show only 2 pics in the DCIM folder.
But when I check Storage in Settings, every picture I have shows up from the internal storage, and counts as 735mb used space.

I haven't taken the ext card out to try and clear things, since I don't like opening the phone. But will if needed.

Might clearing the system cache help?

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I know it was a pretty elementary question, but sometimes it can be hard to gauge a member's level of knowledge.:)

System cache partition wipe is worth a try. I've seen a number of posts, typically from Samsung owners, about issues like this, so I wonder if it's device specific?

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I tried Easy Cache Cleaner, but no go.
My next step will be to pull the battery and SD card out, and try it again.
I suppose it's possible the phone is reporting all videos and pics it finds, but I don't understand why it would say they're on the device memory.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Using an app like Easy Cache Cleaner only cleans app caches, not the system cache partition. Do you know how to wipe the latter? If not, let me know, and I can find the procedure for your phone, if there's one available

Posted via Android Central App

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

My signature indicates what phone it is. Besides, this is the GS3 forum. But, thanks. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same.

Here's the procedure.

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:

Turn off the device.Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:Volume Up*key, Home*key, Power*key.

When the phone vibrates, let go of the*Power*key but continue to press and hold the*Volume Up key and the*Home*key.

When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.

Press the*Volume Down*key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
Press the*Power*key to select and wipe the cache.

With 'reboot system now' highlighted, press the*Power*key to restart the device.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

My signature indicates what phone it is. Besides, this is the GS3 forum. But, thanks. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same.

Oh I knew what kind of phone you have. At the time, I was replying using my AC app on my phone while doing other things, so I just didn't have the time to search for the cache partition wipe procedure (in case you didn't know it already).:cool:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Clearing the cache partition did no good. Must be the way Google wrote the OS.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

What happened when you unmounted the SDCard?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

If I open the phone for any reason, I'll try it. Until then, I can put up with it. It's a hassle getting it out of the holster.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. My post is just below. I have tried all the suggestions. Even after pulling the sim, the files are still showing up and I can find them with my third party file manager.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

AxlMyk,
You don't have to physically remove the SDCard - just go into Settings -> Storage and select "Unmount SD card". For all intents and purposes the card will be gone from the phone until you either restart the phone or select "Mount SD card".

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm a bit gunshy about messing with the SD card. I've already had one go bad on me.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

OK. I now know what these files are.
I opened File Manager and browsed to the internal memory, DCIM folder. Nothing there.
Then I set FM to show hidden files. BINGO!
There are more than 3,200 thumbnails in the DCIM folder, for more than 750mb of space. What the heck.
I don't have that many pictures and videos on the phone. I'm wondering where all that info came from.

Now, the question is, can these be deleted, and will the system restore them?
I can try copying the folder to an external flash drive, delete the thumbnails, and see if it does anything.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Delete away - if you still have certain pictures on the phone the system will just rebuild those thumbnails (it'll take a little longer to see them come up in the Gallery) - the rest are unused/irrelevant.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I deleted the entire directory and ran gallery. The . thumbnails folder is now 2mb in size. That recovered more than 750mb of SD space.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.