My mate's S3 used to be able to automatically turn on the Wi-Fi when at home to connects to our network. It hasn't been doing this for some time now and she really liked that ability. I can't figure it out (I don't have an S3 myself), and searching has yielded no help. The only info I can find is a year old and is threads of people asking how to turn that function off. The one set of instructions I found had menu options that aren't showing in my mate's phone.

Was this auto-on function removed with an OS update or something, or are we just not looking in the right place? If not a stock function anymore, are there any 3rd party apps recommended to do this?
    09-13-2013 11:16 AM
    Llama and NFC Task Launcher can both handle this. I'm sure there are other apps out there but I have tried both of these and they work pretty well. I currently use the NFC Task Launcher which you can do a Geo-Fence around certain locations to handle quite a few different tasks.
    09-13-2013 11:30 AM
    When not linked to an access point, the wifi radio uses negligible current in "search" mode - just leave the wifi radio on, when you get in range, it will automatically connect.
    Or use something like Tasker and build a script that detects when you're home (via GPS). Again, the GPS radio uses negligible power.
    09-13-2013 02:04 PM
    ^ What he said - just leave Wi-Fi on all the time.

If you must fiddle around you can use something like JuiceDefender: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....juicedefender (you'll have to upgrade to the Plus version if you want it to manage Wi-Fi).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    09-14-2013 12:24 PM
    Thanks all. Since this was originally something the phone did on its own, she liked keeping it that way to maximize battery life.
    09-14-2013 01:13 PM
    Thanks all. Since this was originally something the phone did on its own, she liked keeping it that way to maximize battery life.
    Uh, I don't think so. It has always been on, unless you physically turn it off.
    Always been automatic.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.
    09-14-2013 07:50 PM
    Tasker's the answer. Create a Task and Profile that turns it on when it sees a desired AP and turns it off when you leave the coverage area.
    09-15-2013 08:24 PM