What is wrong with my battery?

Androidprodigy

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So I just bought a new stock battery for my galaxy s3 i535 because the battery life I was getting was just ridiculously bad, and since I've gotten the new one in there I have not seen an increase in battery life at all. So it has got to be something running in my phone that is the culprit. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379950916390.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379950916390.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379950934663.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379950934663.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379950947923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379950947923.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379950956184.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379950956184.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried setting your phone to Airplane mode for a while and see if the decrease in battery is still there? From what I see, your mobile signal is dreadful, and this might become the biggest drain.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
^ What he said.

Your Awake vs. Screen on looks normal; Google Services looks rather high, but with so little screen on time it's hard to say.

And it looks like Juice Defender has turned mobile data off since you have a (rather weak) Wi-Fi connection.

But your cellular signal sucks, and that could easily kill your battery in no time. Do you work in a building where this is a widespread problem, or just live in an area with poor coverage?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Embarrassingly, I can't tell if that Mobile Signal reading is bad, since I'm a little color blind. But I can usually see red, and I don't see it on that bar--why does it seem bad?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's unfortunate that they don't have a legend to explain the various colors for the Mobile network signal, but there's a little bit of red near the beginning, and then mostly this dingy yellow. On top of that, all the screenshots show only 2 bars of cellular signal (in fact, after further review, the 3rd screenshot shows no bars).

Have you moved recently, or changed workplaces (or wherever you spend much of your time)?

Edit: for comparison purposes here's what a good signal looks like.
a2ebyqu6.jpg
(Note the dark green color.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Androidprodigy

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Well yeah I live in an area with fairly low signal... A consistent 2 bars.. But even when I shut mobile data completely off my battery drains very fast... I've reviewed tips I've even underclocked my device and yet I can still not go 10 hours without it dying.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Shutting Mobile data off is unrelated - this is strictly dealing with your cellular signal: what you use to make/receive phone calls; to send/receive SMS (MMS uses your Mobile data connection); etc.

From a Mobile data standpoint, that's the 4G/LTE or 3G or 1x/EVDO symbol that you see. That can also have a big impact on battery life IF YOU'RE USING IT (or if it's turned on and constantly searching for a signal or switching between modes), but if you're normally using Wi-Fi then the Mobile data connection is sitting idle.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But it looks like Airplane Mode is on (at least, in one of those screenshots), which should turn off the cell radio as well as mobile data. So poor cell signal should not be impacting battery use as long as Airplane Mode is on. Did you have Airplane Mode on during a large proportion of the time that the battery was draining quickly?

Androidprodigy

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
O put it into airplane mode... Sorry didn't re read above post till now. Thanks for help guys I'll let you know how it goes

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I used to have that problem, too. The low cell signal strength where I live sucked my battery right down, same with the S3 and my previous iPhone. What fixed it for me was getting a Verizon "Network Extender". While I hated to pay extra money over and above the monthly service charge, it did raise my cell signal strength up to at least 3 bars throughout my house. In some places, more, of course, up to full bars when close enough to the Network Extender. It is a one-time cost, you just buy the Network Extender and use it, no monthly charge for it. And it made my battery charge last a LOT longer.

I'm in a "best coverage" area, of course, if I only got "good coverage" I'd be happy *smile*, I'd classify my coverage as "poor". But the Network Extender could well solve your problem.