Hey there. I Left Verizon and went prepay, in January. Since then, popped a T Mobile mini sim in my unlocked Verizon S3 with no problem. But now Im out near Spokane Washington where coverage sucks!!! So AT&T has spotty yet best coverage in my area. So I cut down the AT&T card, put it in the S3 with the only issue being that it ont allow me to check my viocemail: an 'add money to account' recording but its a monthly plan. Not a real concern. I will go to T Mobile or somebody else at this months end.
    Question is that it, the S3 quit charging, I saw a short video on oxidation being an issue on this model. I've had it open and it looks fine, but do yall think that trying to use maybe some emory cloth could help? I have used it in my bathroom with speakers during showers since I got it last summer, always with a paper towel over it. The guy in the short utube video said he scratched up his port with a small screw driver but I wouldnt do that!! Right now I am using batteries out of two parts phones to keep the S3 going.
    Also. A guy at a T Mobile store found me a link to yall, to free this s3 up for data, and sent me the link. but thats to the process for the Note II. i dont know how to begin to find the process for the S3 here, as I dont even know what exactly the process is called.....Since going by way of prepay, my only option to keep the S3 going has been to put a sim in an old T mobile phone and turn that hotspot on. Im looking to eliminate that bs of carrying two phones just so I can have the S3 around!
    One more question. Im moving north of Spokane WA for the winter and its looking like the only, only prepay that works up there is straight talk of all things. Can anyone tell me if ST has sim cards yet? I dont care about size, obviously (again, I have trimmed my full sized At&T sim to fit the mini sim slot of my Verizon S#).
    Thanks for reading!!
    09-24-2013 04:02 PM
    Hey there. I Left Verizon and went prepay, in January. Since then, popped a T Mobile mini sim in my unlocked Verizon S3 with no problem. But now Im out near Spokane Washington where coverage sucks!!! So AT&T has spotty yet best coverage in my area. So I cut down the AT&T card, put it in the S3 with the only issue being that it ont allow me to check my viocemail: an 'add money to account' recording but its a monthly plan. Not a real concern. I will go to T Mobile or somebody else at this months end.
    Question is that it, the S3 quit charging, I saw a short video on oxidation being an issue on this model. I've had it open and it looks fine, but do yall think that trying to use maybe some emory cloth could help? I have used it in my bathroom with speakers during showers since I got it last summer, always with a paper towel over it. The guy in the short utube video said he scratched up his port with a small screw driver but I wouldnt do that!! Right now I am using batteries out of two parts phones to keep the S3 going.
    Also. A guy at a T Mobile store found me a link to yall, to free this s3 up for data, and sent me the link. but thats to the process for the Note II. i dont know how to begin to find the process for the S3 here, as I dont even know what exactly the process is called.....Since going by way of prepay, my only option to keep the S3 going has been to put a sim in an old T mobile phone and turn that hotspot on. Im looking to eliminate that bs of carrying two phones just so I can have the S3 around!
    One more question. Im moving north of Spokane WA for the winter and its looking like the only, only prepay that works up there is straight talk of all things. Can anyone tell me if ST has sim cards yet? I dont care about size, obviously (again, I have trimmed my full sized At&T sim to fit the mini sim slot of my Verizon S#).
    Thanks for reading!!
    Welcome to the forums.
    If your charging port is that bad, you may as well give the cloth a shot. You aren't really going to be out anything.
    09-24-2013 04:39 PM
    1. If the micro-USB port is indeed bad I'd suggest going with a wireless charging solution and bypassing the port issue altogether.
    2. I think I've seen someone mention using StraightTalk with a Verizon phone.
    3. I don't know about the emery paper - I'd probably try a toothpick with alcohol (with the battery out of course). You're sure it's not a bad cable or charger? Seems like lots of folks have been having problems with those lately.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    09-24-2013 10:24 PM
    no, its not a charger problem. and i cannot spend any money, i am recently disabled from a motorcycle accident, live on very small fixed income. is what it is, so i am just dealing with what i have left, this S3 is my only pc left and i am trying to build a small sewing business so i need it. i am going to the link suggested by a member, on how to use it with a data plan, (i still have no idea what the process is called to make the phone free to use a data plan, whatever); and will be opening it back up tonight again, will try the emory cloth. rubbing alcohol made no difference, as it did no good in the video i saw either.
    thanks for the help, LB
    09-25-2013 11:56 AM
    Ok this is becoming a pain in the ***. I am trying to unlock the bootloader???? I - again - I have a verizon s3, currently calling & texting with an ATT sim card. I am asking again, is there a link available to get directions on how to get data to work?? I have 4 more days left to use my friend's pc to do the process, as a service tech said specifically that I will need to be at a real computer to do this. Can someone give me a link specific to this or am I still speaking in alien? I was given a link with like four options, and have no clue what to do with that.
    Loook I appreciate all help, but don't just dis me for not being savvy to the terminology, thats bull****. I am switching to ST, but thats pretty irrelevant, as all I am asking in tech is how to break free the APN options, I GUESS. This site was recommended by T Mobile service tech to do the data thing, but some of yall are downright rude with the replies.
    09-25-2013 12:31 PM
    Question is that it, the S3 quit charging
    I guess we're having a communication problem - this makes it seem like you're having a charging problem. Cleaning the micro-USB connector is a very iffy business, and unless your phone got wet oxidation shouldn't be a problem. They do make contact cleaner that you should be able to get at any electronics store (Radio Shack used to carry stuff like this) or online, and that would probably have better success than trying to cram emery paper into that small port, but it's your call.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    TBoltShock83839 likes this.
    09-26-2013 01:14 AM
    I am trying to unlock the bootloader
    Next in the miscommunication list - unlocking the bootloader is only useful/necessary if you want to load a different ROM on the phone, or if you want to install alternate Recovery software. Neither of these appear to be needed to address your charging problem or the next issue that you mention.

09-26-2013 01:19 AM
    is there a link available to get directions on how to get data to work?
    all I am asking in tech is how to break free the APN options, I GUESS. This site was recommended by T Mobile service tech to do the data thing
    On to the real (?) issue. First off, if you're using services from some company other than Verizon, then it's the responsibility of THAT company to provide you with support and all the information you need on how to make things work. It's pretty sorry that T-Mobile (and StraightTalk?) are blowing you off on some Verizon forum and expecting us to do their job for them. Caveat emptor.

With that said, if your phone has the latest OS build from Verizon installed (4.1.2, MF1) then it should be carrier unlocked - all you should have to do is put in the appropriate SIM card and enter the APN values that the new provider gives you. None of this requires access to a PC.

If for some reason you can't modify the APN settings (you did look in Settings -> More settings -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names, then pressed the Menu button and selected '+ Add new access point') then you probably have to contact Verizon to get them to unlock it for you.

Finally, if you can't get the APN information to enter from the T-Mobile or StraightTalk websites, you'll have to look in other threads here that deal with that topic - it seems like that information changes like the weather, and what worked a week ago no longer works, or works differently for different users.

09-26-2013 01:42 AM
    You can look in here http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=287144
    for actual APN values for StraightTalk, and here http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=193817
    for more general information about using the SGS3 on different carriers.

Please note that the Verizon version of the phone doesn't seem to be the one best suited to use across the various carriers, but that's just my opinion - this is all based on what I've read, as I haven't had a need to use my Verizon phone on a different carrier (yet).

Good luck.

09-26-2013 01:50 AM
    Welcome to the forums.
    I agree - Golfdriver97 can be downright rude at times...

09-26-2013 02:01 AM
    I agree - Golfdriver97 can be downright rude at times...

Huh?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    09-26-2013 07:47 AM
    There are instances where I agree with GSDer, that some phones will not work on some carriers, due to the bands not transmitting/receiving correctly.
    09-26-2013 08:24 AM
    As mentioned in the original post, I have had the phone apart. Thanks for the input, I have no intention of cramming anything anywhere.

WOW, thanks for all the information. Look I am trying to unlock the factory (SAMSUNG) data lock. APN, yes the apn. no, you cannot just add an apn, I cannot believe Im the first person trying to do this???? Yall are a bunch of uppity assholes. Guess you all were born just oozing ******* andriod knowledge. Push me off on your forums, thought your forums are here to help people. Obviously yall cant even just tell me wtf the process is called when you do it, thank you all so much. hate to see any of yall on the side of a road broke down. Oh yaeh, I wrench, you know the dumb mechanic???? I can keep your ******* computerized cars running but god forbid i try to get some info in yall court.
    09-26-2013 01:42 PM
    Sorry that none of the information proved useful - as I noted, I haven't actually done this to my phone - I'm just passing along what I've read. It sounds like the phone hasn't been carrier unlocked, but a call to Verizon should give you confirmation one way or the other.

09-26-2013 02:38 PM
    Hang on....let's back up a little. Did you call Straight Talk to see if Verizon phones were compatible on their network?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    09-26-2013 04:12 PM
    Ok, one more time.
    My Verizon S# is Verizon unlocked.
    I am currently using an AT&T sim card, prepaid, that I took out of my broken iphone, then I traced the shape of a mini sim card over the AT&T sim card, then I cut the AT&T sim card to fit in the Verizon S3. I have cell phone and text. I honestly do not need the phone unlocked, I promise that it is unlocked, I had it unlocked, as this is my personal phone that I bought at a Verizon store brand new, I had it unlocked to use a T Mobile mini sim card earlier this year. Again- I do not think I need help unlocking my phone. Really.
    There is some kind of thing that lots and lots of people do specifically to an unlocked Verizon S3 so that they can add APNs to the phone, and use the phone to use internet. I do not KNOW the name of this process, as I am not familiar with it or I would not be here looking like a total fool.
    I do not need instructions on how to get to the APN settings, Nor how to get to the closest Verizon store to have the phone unlocked.
    All I want to know is the process to open the phone to allow me to add APNs. Whatever that is called. I'm all over the internet, I don't know if this is called rooting, or unlocking the bootloader or who knows maybe it is called how to kill the verizon s3 in 28 simple steps- because thats all of the various things that I have learned in the last two days: alot of nothing.

In case somehow I am the first person ever to ask this question, it stems from that there is no option to ad APNs on the Verizon S3, the only only option is to restore default- and yes I have no doubt that this is covered somewhere in this huge website, but being that I do not know the name of the process, well its kinda hard to look it up.
    09-26-2013 07:09 PM
    Ok, one more time.
    My Verizon S# is Verizon unlocked.
    I am currently using an AT&T sim card, prepaid, that I took out of my broken iphone, then I traced the shape of a mini sim card over the AT&T sim card, then I cut the AT&T sim card to fit in the Verizon S3. I have cell phone and text. I honestly do not need the phone unlocked, I promise that it is unlocked, I had it unlocked, as this is my personal phone that I bought at a Verizon store brand new, I had it unlocked to use a T Mobile mini sim card earlier this year. Again- I do not think I need help unlocking my phone. Really.
    There is some kind of thing that lots and lots of people do specifically to an unlocked Verizon S3 so that they can add APNs to the phone, and use the phone to use internet. I do not KNOW the name of this process, as I am not familiar with it or I would not be here looking like a total fool.
    I do not need instructions on how to get to the APN settings, Nor how to get to the closest Verizon store to have the phone unlocked.
    All I want to know is the process to open the phone to allow me to add APNs. Whatever that is called. I'm all over the internet, I don't know if this is called rooting, or unlocking the bootloader or who knows maybe it is called how to kill the verizon s3 in 28 simple steps- because thats all of the various things that I have learned in the last two days: alot of nothing.

In case somehow I am the first person ever to ask this question, it stems from that there is no option to ad APNs on the Verizon S3, the only only option is to restore default- and yes I have no doubt that this is covered somewhere in this huge website, but being that I do not know the name of the process, well its kinda hard to look it up.
    Ok...I have reread your thread, and done some internet searching myself. Here is what I have deemed the biggest problem. The Verizon Stock ROM is preventing you from adding any APNs.
    Here is an article from earlier this year: Turns out Verizon's Galaxy S3 isn't global ready after all | Common Sense Tech - CNET News
    09-26-2013 09:42 PM
    Thank you! Ok I am going to check it out ( I had to download a zip opener, on a borrowed pc, and all of my opened pages took off as zip opener downloaded). Short of that, I am fixing to try this. I love this phone, the S3, and will work to keep it as my primary as I do not do pc's and thank you for the help. Coming from iphone and AT&T, to Verizon and Andriod, this is a mass confusion to me!!! Would never go back after this S3 tho!
    Again, thank you
    09-26-2013 11:21 PM
    yeah....ok thank you, but that forum has a much better option, as i am not trying to free up for overseas and such. again, thank you for the help!
    09-26-2013 11:28 PM
    yeah....ok thank you, but that forum has a much better option, as i am not trying to free up for overseas and such. again, thank you for the help!
    Welcome. The point of the article was not about overseas, but the fact that Verizon blocks domestic apns.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    09-27-2013 12:15 AM
    If the "+ Add new access point" feature is blocked on the stock Verizon ROM, perhaps you could suggest a TouchWiz-based ROM that she can use. That would allow her to keep the same look-and-feel that she's used to, while allowing access to the APN settings.

I haven't used anything since CarbonRom 1.6, but it looks like you're running a 3rd party ROM.

09-27-2013 01:14 AM