Galaxy S3: Do some backgrounds use more battery than others?

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I am always playing with different backgrounds to change the look and feel for my S3 and it just sort of feels like some have more of a drain in the bacground than others.

Any thoughts appreciated.

--steve
Sent from my Android Powered Galaxy S3.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do some backgrounds use more battery than others?

Definitely. Live wallpapers use more battery than static wallpapers for obvious reasons, and some live wallpapers use more battery than others. If the live wallpaper is more graphics or animation intensive, it will use more battery. Also, some live wallpapers actually access the web to refresh data (most notably, the ones that report the weather), and this will use more battery.

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks B. Diddy,
I'm actually not talking about the Live wallpapers with moving graphics and etc. Just the HD wallpapers that are static. I assumed that anything that is actually moving or has any sort of animation would be a battery suck so I avoid those. And thanks again for the reply.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Certainly, some use more than others. A brighter background (think "whiter") will use more energy than a darker ("blacker") background simply because you need more energy to create the brighter end of the spectrum. This is true of any device that doesn't have an always on backlight.

See: HTG Explains: Does Plain Black Wallpaper Save Battery on Mobile Devices?

Personally, I'd rather have an interesting background than save a little battery; my battery life is more than sufficient.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks B. Diddy,
I'm actually not talking about the Live wallpapers with moving graphics and etc. Just the HD wallpapers that are static. I assumed that anything that is actually moving or has any sort of animation would be a battery suck so I avoid those. And thanks again for the reply.

If you're interested in battery saving tips, check out this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

xaml

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

What about image file sizes, colour aside for a moment, would a four megabyte image set as a wallpaper consume more electricity than a five hundred kilobyte version of the image on the same screen?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

would a four megabyte image set as a wallpaper consume more electricity than a five hundred kilobyte version of the image on the same screen?
Unlikely - a four MB image will be scaled down, and a 500KB image will be scaled up (interpolated), to meet the resolution requirements of the wallpaper. In the end the same number of pixels will be turned on.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk