Please help if you can. I have searched the forums but havent come across this particular problem.

All of a sudden, I'm not able to customize a screen timeout time period. It is always 500 minutes. No matter what I check, once I leave the Settings, the timeout resets to 500 minutes. It is really annoying & burning through my battery if I don't remember to manually turn off my screen every time I use my phone.

And just today, another new settings issue started: I cannot uncheck Automatic Brightness. I mean, I uncheck it, leave the settings menu, and then my screen gets dark again & when I return to settings, Auto Brightness is checked again.

I wiped the cache... no change. Obviously restarting & battery pulls are useless as well.

I am not rooted, I am working on 4.1.2, and obviously, with verizon. I feel like the phone is dementing. Do I have to wipe the thing & factory reset? Because that would suck majestically. Please weight in with any thoughts.

Cheers.
    09-29-2013 10:12 PM
    Wow, screwy. Try booting into Safe Mode--if it goes back to normal then, it's likely some 3rd party app that is causing the problem.

Samsung Galaxy S III - Enable and Disable Safe Mod... - Mobile Product Support Forums
    09-29-2013 10:16 PM
    Aww man! youre right. Some app is screwing up the works. Ugh, now I guess I go through & turn off each app to pinpoint it? WOuld you recommend I try the newest one first? Thanks so much for the feedback. PS - CROOOOOOWWW!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-29-2013 10:22 PM
    "Wisecracker ..." (Crow, that is.)

If it just started, it would make sense to uninstall the most recently installed apps, then exit Safe Mode and see when things go back to normal. Since it's the screen timeout and brightness that's being messed with, you could also focus on apps where that would be important, like e-readers, or video players.
    09-29-2013 10:54 PM
    It's probably a tool type of app rather than a game - a power saving app, or a screen profile app - something along those lines.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    09-29-2013 11:15 PM
    Yup, yup, all correct. It was a recently installed app that is supposed to dim the screen to different levels depending on the app (customized). I forget what it's called now bc I deleted it faster than I could think about it, but anyway. Thanks for all the help!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-30-2013 12:22 AM
    If you look in the Google Play Store -> press the Menu button -> select My apps -> and scroll to the ALL tab, you'll find the app in your list. It might be helpful to someone else if you posted the name/link.

Edit: you can press the x to remove that item from your list so that you don't ever accidentally use it again.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-30-2013 01:28 AM
    500 minutes? So like..... 7+hrs? Holy ****.

Posted via DROIDcentralAPP on SSgS3
    09-30-2013 01:48 AM
    For those wondering what the application may be, I had the same problem. I recently installed an app called "Screen Controls" which adjust brightness based on the application running e.g. full brightness for Netflix. By default the screen timeout time isn't set for the application so it defaults to 500 minutes. If you go into the settings and set the display timeout to whatever value you like it will be set there and won't go to 500 minutes any more. Here is the app link to the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...encontrolsfree
    B. Diddy and Maya like this.
    10-09-2013 11:24 AM