S3 upgrade to KitKat (Facts, not speculation)

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
While we're all waiting for 4.3 in the coming weeks, I thought I'd start this thread regarding the possibility that the S3 will get 4.4 as well. The device is certainly capable of handling it, but Samsung had not yet made an announcement.

What I'd like to see posted here are any solid leads as to whether this will happen or not. Please: no "KitKat is designed for lower spec phones, therefore we will DEFINITELY be getting it" posts. Also, please don't link to the hundreds of copycat Android "news" sites. Those are worthless, IMO.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Might not be what your looking for, but I seriously doubt it.

Samsung wants people to buy their new phones, not stick with older ones for more than two years.

Would be bad business really, even though Google made KitKat to work well worth older devices. Not saying the S3 is old, but in cell phone years, it is. Lol

Posted via Android Central App

stonemadman#AC

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You have a good point BUT people like me and my wife cannot upgrade until January 2015...so we have a loooooooong wait until we can get a new phone. Honestly, I'm going to ROM mine if we don't get an official KitKat release from Samsung.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Officially we'll never see Kit Kat on galaxy s3. The update to 4.3 coming this month will be the last update to receive.

Posted via Android Central App

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Remember the subtitle to this thread: Facts, not speculation. I appreciate your opinions, but until you have something to back up your assertions (one way or the other), that's all they are: opinions!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Remember the subtitle to this thread: Facts, not speculation. I appreciate your opinions, but until you have something to back up your assertions (one way or the other), that's all they are: opinions!

and that's why the whole thread is a waste of time because nobody knows crap about it.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
and that's why the whole thread is a waste of time because nobody knows crap about it.

And the next post after yours is the sort of thing I was looking for. At some point, Samsung will say something. I just want this thread to be the clearinghouse for that info.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Remember, the contract you have is on the number, not the phone. You can always buy a phone and swap SIM cards. I have upgraded this way for a few years now. Catch the phone you want on eBay or Craigslists and just replace your current phone.

You have a good point BUT people like me and my wife cannot upgrade until January 2015...so we have a loooooooong wait until we can get a new phone. Honestly, I'm going to ROM mine if we don't get an official KitKat release from Samsung.