disable 4g

TheJustPull

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off four g and just be on 3g?when I was rooted one of the Roms had this built in but is it possible to do with a stock device and how?

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There used to be an app called 'Phone info', which is apparently no longer in the Google Play Store, that allowed you to do that. Just search for that name in these threads and I'm sure you'll find a link to it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

TheJustPull

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I saw that and tried to install but it doesn't do that anymore. Any idea where I could scrounge up info?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Give this a try. It's advertised for the HTC Thunderbolt, but it works on a number of other phones. I saw a couple reviews saying it works on the S4, but the only S3 review said it didn't. With it only being the one I found, hard to say if that's fully true or just an issue with that one person.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff&token=IN1J6Rj1

If that doesn't work, try going into the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* That should bring up a new set of menus (my Bionic titles it "Testing" but supposed to be a valid code on the S3 too). Go into the phone info settings and you'll see a list of various specs. The above app is basically just a one click shortcut to this screen. Below the spec list, you'll see a selection box that lists the current network mode. Whatever it's on for you would be what you need to select to get back to full 4G. One of the other options would be what you need for 3G only. I'm not familiar enough to know which one is right for the S3, so hopefully someone else can fill that in.

If you select the wrong one, it could affect the radios and not switch back to 4G or pick up 3G properly. I've done that by mistake and occasionally it's just hung up. In my case, going into the regular network settings menu from the home screen settings, then turning data off and back on and then rebooting fixes it. Using widgets and toggle apps to turn data off and on doesn't work. In all cases for me when it switches properly, rebooting the phone resets it back to the default 4G.

Good luck.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
a7a7ujyh.jpg
Try 'GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)' - if that doesn't work then 'EvDo only'

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
uryhyhyr.jpg
Note the 3G icon in the Status bar.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The secret codes don't work on Verizon phones.

As I noted in post #2, it's from an app called 'Phone Info', which is no longer in the Google Play Store. If you search for that you'll probably find a link to it; I'm pretty sure it was also on XDA; if you can't find it anywhere PM me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok. It works on my Bionic, which is Verizon but my mate just verified it didn't work on hers. I had just looked it up online and saw lots of posts saying it worked, but none mentioned Verizon removed that ability on their versions.

I can say you are mistaken on the pics though. The app you used must work similar to the one I linked to (which I now suspect wouldn't work), because those screen shots are of said service menu that is accessed via the dialer code as well. I'm sure you probably accessed them via the app, but you're not working inside the app at this point any more. If the dialer code worked, you could get to those screens even if the app you or I mentioned weren't installed. Perhaps Verizon just has a different way/dialer code to access the settings on the S3?

TheJustPull

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've found the phone info app and it doesn't have those menus when I got it I'm really stumped on this one

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use the "advanced signal status" app from the play store. At the bottom it gives you the shortcut to that menu

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro