Where is the 4.3 Update for the Verizon Galaxy S3?

clembrowning

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was reading over on xda around page 72 or so a screenshout was posted of an updated s3 showing I535VRUCMJ3 anyone else seen this. The issue over there is if the screenshot is real or fake. And could this be part of the soak test

Posted via Android Central App

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
What's the big deal with 4.3? I have a Nexus 7 and have used 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 quite a bit. Each of those updates have been miner and bring little for day to day use. Sure you will get lock screen widgets but after a day the trill is gone. I have desk clock widget installed on my Nexus. It was a novelty at first. Now I just unlock the damn thing and don't pay any attention to widgets. There will be some minor performance enhancements and other under the hood things. For the most part you won't notice the difference. The settings menu will be categorized making it slower and harder to find stuff. At least to me that's not good.

I could understand the impatience if we were going from 4.0 to 4.1 as Google Now is amazing and is literately a life enhancing feature. However 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 are minor updates. I guess I am less excited because I have seen 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 and I don't see how they will change or enhance my use of the S3. I got my Nexus so I can have the latest version of Android and see the direction Google is going. I got the S3 because the hardware is awesome, exchangeable battery, and a great camera. The S3 still has all of that. I knew it would be slow to update and I am fine with that otherwise I would not have bought it.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I was reading over on xda around page 72 or so a screenshout was posted of an updated s3 showing I535VRUCMJ3 anyone else seen this. The issue over there is if the screenshot is real or fake. And could this be part of the soak test
ANYTHING is possible there. For cripes sake they write the ROMs. They can post whatever they want.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What's the big deal with 4.3? I have a Nexus 7 and have used 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 quite a bit. Each of those updates have been miner and bring little for day to day use. Sure you will get lock screen widgets but after a day the trill is gone. I have desk clock widget installed on my Nexus. It was a novelty at first. Now I just unlock the damn thing and don't pay any attention to widgets. There will be some minor performance enhancements and other under the hood things. For the most part you won't notice the difference. The settings menu will be categorized making it slower and harder to find stuff. At least to me that's not good.

I could understand the impatience if we were going from 4.0 to 4.1 as Google Now is amazing and is literately a life enhancing feature. However 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 are minor updates. I guess I am less excited because I have seen 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 and I don't see how they will change or enhance my use of the S3. I got my Nexus so I can have the latest version of Android and see the direction Google is going. I got the S3 because the hardware is awesome, exchangeable battery, and a great camera. The S3 still has all of that. I knew it would be slow to update and I am fine with that otherwise I would not have bought it.

Features in some apps require 4.3 (ie auto awesome video). Knox. Trim support. Display enhancements. General performance enhancements. Etc. Some UI enhancements are good. Improved keyboard. Browser enhancements. Group Play broken without it for the most part.

Don't care about lock screen widgets and no one I know uses them.

And maybe they'll fix the radio cause sometimes it fails to connect to LTE and you have to reboot the phone to do so.

Also S Beam toggles itself off every reboot so that's a double whammy.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Especially when it is one full of children...

Did your mother ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything? No one forces you to come here. Perhaps this is our way of letting off a little steam about something we all know is ultimately inconsequential, but nonetheless stands as a proxy for the faceless unaccountability of modern large institutions. Or maybe people just want to rant because they want to rant. Either way, you can terminate your involvement simply by not clicking the link to this thread.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Did your mother ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything? No one forces you to come here. Perhaps this is our way of letting off a little steam about something we all know is ultimately inconsequential, but nonetheless stands as a proxy for the faceless unaccountability of modern large institutions. Or maybe people just want to rant because they want to rant. Either way, you can terminate your involvement simply by not clicking the link to this thread.

Nope. She never did.

I came here to see if there was any info about the update. That's it. Clearly there is nothing in this thread with information about the update.

And I'm not certain that everyone here knows that it is "ultimately inconsequential". I'm a big fan of Android, but sometimes there are some people who allow these updates to take over lives. Just an observation.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope. She never did.

I came here to see if there was any info about the update. That's it. Clearly there is nothing in this thread with information about the update.

And I'm not certain that everyone here knows that it is "ultimately inconsequential". I'm a big fan of Android, but sometimes there are some people who allow these updates to take over lives. Just an observation.

In all seriousness, you are correct on your last point. As to information, no one is likely to have any until the update is released. That's why everyone is annoyed.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
In all seriousness, you are correct on your last point. As to information, no one is likely to have any until the update is released. That's why everyone is annoyed.

Totally understand being annoyed. My S3 has some issues with random rebooting. I'd like it fixed. I'm hoping the update comes soon so I can factory reset after the update and hopefully fix the problem (don't have time to do 2 resets).
This is my first Samsung device. Have used mostly Moto and HTC in the past. Didn't know if Samsung did any kind of beta/soak like Moto does.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Totally understand being annoyed. My S3 has some issues with random rebooting. I'd like it fixed. I'm hoping the update comes soon so I can factory reset after the update and hopefully fix the problem (don't have time to do 2 resets).
This is my first Samsung device. Have used mostly Moto and HTC in the past. Didn't know if Samsung did any kind of beta/soak like Moto does.

Rumor has it that Samsung/Verizon do a "soak test" by rolling it out to several thousand people and waiting to see if anyone screams. It appears not to be anywhere near as formal as Moto's soak tests, with which I am _very_ familiar. At least when word of the soak tests got out, you knew the general rollout was likely days, if not hours, away.

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Well said.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
It was posted in the Samsung Galaxy S3 community in Google+. I don't know them, just saw some info that I admit is more rumor that proven fact at this point.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

That may have been me posting in Google+ or about it here. And to add to the frenzy, the guys over at XDA are pretty certain they've found a guy who is part of a Verizon soak test for 4.3. He got it early Thursday morning apparently. The XDA guys are trying to evaluate the credibility of this, but they think its authentic. If so, that's a hopeful sign!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I doubt that screenshot is real, and does it really matter? All the other carriers have rolled this update out, so any clinically sane person can rightly assume that it's pretty much ready. The only thing stopping the update is Verizon building in their services into the phone and testing it to make sure their bloatware works properly on it.

People who don't like being put in this situation can do two things to deal with it:

1. Switch to AT&T, and
2. Switch to a Non-Android, Non-Blackberry 10 (they have same delayed update issues) platform like iOS and Windows Phone who seem to have a much faster update turn-around due to the Developers' (Apple/Microsoft) policies that severely limit what a carrier can do to devices running the OS.

I said two because while switching to a different carrier may speed up the update turn-around a bit, the update lag is a characteristic of the Android platform's OEM devices. Blackberry 10 has similar issues with updates rolling out across carriers.

This is less of an issue on Windows Phone (much faster because the platform is managed better) and virtually non-existent on iOS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci