Factory Resets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeva

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone out there ever done a Factory Reset?
Why?
Has it fixed anything?
If so, approximately how much time has it wasted? 3 hours? 6 hours? I don't have that much time to devote to this device, with virtually no prospects of success.

VZW has Factory Reset Tourete's; Calls drop? Factory Reset. Device freezes? Factory Reset. Squeaky brakes? Factory Reset.

I'd like to hear from someone who actually has HAD success with a Factory Reset before I go down that arduous path again. The FACT that a lead Android developer testifies to Samsung's bugginess is ample evidence for me that the problems I'm having are Samsung Gallaxy III issues - and not those of my specific device.

Posted via Android Central App

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Every phone and Tablet I ever owned I have done factory reset. If I find an issue that I can't locate a specific solution I will factory reset. I usually do a factory reset just to annoy myself every 3 months. Truthfully VZW and every other company has high hopes on factory reset to fix the problems. They have little idea of what causes a specific problem and their standby is full reset.
The reset doesn't take long. The time to re set up your phone depends on if you choose to reload everything saved by Google back to your phone. Smart way is to choose to install item by item to find out what app was causing the specific issue

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mdeva

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Every phone and Tablet I ever owned I have done factory reset. If I find an issue that I can't locate a specific solution I will factory reset. I usually do a factory reset just to annoy myself every 3 months. Truthfully VZW and every other company has high hopes on factory reset to fix the problems. They have little idea of what causes a specific problem and their standby is full reset.
The reset doesn't take long. The time to re set up your phone depends on if you choose to reload everything saved by Google back to your phone. Smart way is to choose to install item by item to find out what app was causing the specific issue

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

"install item by item"
OUCH!
That's where the six hours comes in.
I realize Apps need to be altered to handle new device-environments, that's why I never buy a new model-phone - and always try to keep mainstream, where developers are most apt to keep current. And before purchasing a phone, read Google Play Feedback on my critical Apps to find any device-specific issues. Still, I load tens of Apps - maybe fifty (difficult to count with all the bloatware); apps that I genuinely need.
--------------
I think VZW recommends F-R just to get rid of the customer call. Like - if you're walking on a road and a car stops to ask directions. If you say, "2 miles up the road, take a left, go 23 miles," that driver isn't coming back to you for a very long time - if at all.

I've tried F-R at one time or another on each of my 11 devices with zero resolution.

Still hunting for a "witness".

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos (ensures that your pictures/videos are automatically backed up to the cloud; 5GB free)

Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup (allows you to backup your apps and app data without being rooted)

Nova Launcher: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher (allows you to save/restore your Home screen settings/layout; use after restoring apps via Helium)

And of course, people badmouth the Kies software, but I rely on it to backup/restore SMS/MMS - it's the only reliable method I've found that handles MMS. You can also backup/restore most TouchWiz settings if you don't use an alternate launcher.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I've done a few, mostly due to the ActiveSync issues of 4.1.2. No matter what I did, deleting my email account, changing the sync setting, etc, it kept doing the sync loop and eating my battery.

Doing one is nothing too earth shattering, but it is time consuming unless you back up to your Google or Samsung account, in which case you can restore your settings from there. I did a complete reset and set my phone back up item by item after backing up from both accounts didn't resolve my issues.

ETA: The reset process only takes a minute or two. It's the setting up of your phone and re-logging into all of your accounts that takes time. The complete reset took me about an hour and that's with OCDing to set everything up exactly as it was.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If so, approximately how much time has it wasted? 3 hours? 6 hours? I don't have that much time to devote to this device, with virtually no prospects of success.
I would say you've already wasted that much time complaining about your phone on this forum.
Do it, and get it over with.
3-6 hours is nothing compared to re-installing a desktop PC. Takes me a week or more to get it how I want it. I just don't mind doing it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the problem, a cache wipe in recovery is just as helpful, and doesn't reset the device.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

mdeva

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I would say you've already wasted that much time complaining about your phone on this forum.
Do it, and get it over with.
3-6 hours is nothing compared to re-installing a desktop PC. Takes me a week or more to get it how I want it. I just don't mind doing it.

You say "Just do it" - but I still haven't heard from anyone who has had success Factory Resetting - and I'm oh-for-nine.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Although this quote is often attributed to Einstein, there is no evidence he actually said it, let alone coined it.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset recently because i thought i was going to sell my phone. It was easy and fairly quickly. I really liked the way it cleaned out some of the junk i had put on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Classic glass half full/half empty situation. A factory reset can't possibly hurt while at the same time offers a possibility of helping the situation. Common troubleshooting procedure is to attempt every possible solution regardless of documented proof that it will work. To refuse to try something that is safe, recommended and harmless because of inconvenience is to be completely close minded.
I'm about to do a factory reset for all the same reasons I stated above, even though I really don't want to. At least I'll have exhausted 1 possibility and hopefully (and logically) get me one step closer to a solution. Hell, it may even solve my problem. No way to tell without trying!

"You can't graft a new idea into a closed mind.". NOT by Albert Einstein...I don't think:)

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
My phone was auto rebooting and I did a factory reset and it worked. It hasn't auto rebooted in weeks. Before I do an update I clear the partition cache and factory reset.

Its not an issue to reinstall apps afterward. Its kind of fun.

Your phone is a computer. Like all computers apps can cause issues and instability. Also memory becomes fragmented and after awhile the phone will run slow. A factory reset can help with this.

If you have a problem Verizon will not and should not help you further until you have tried a factory reset.

I did see an Android developer complain about Samsung bugs. Maybe, but my S3 has less visible glitches than any past phone. I even run Locale (hint, hint) perfectly without issues. My Nexus 7 2013 and 2013 have far more visible bugs and issues than my S3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mdeva

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Common troubleshooting procedure is to attempt every possible solution regardless of documented proof that it will work. To refuse to try something that is safe, recommended and harmless because of inconvenience is to be completely close minded.
--------------

"Common" to try every possible solution?
Not sure what technical experience you have. I've worked in IT 30 years and if one of my staff simply tried everything without thinking, I'd show him the door.

In a production environment, you analyze first - then proceed.

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall saying anything about not thinking. You're obviously thinking, thus your request for advice in this forum. Which, by the way, I find interesting given your vast IT experience. I'd like to believe that if I had that much experience in any field and that I wouldn't be on the internet asking for advice from strangers with unknown experience, knowledge or motivation.
You asked for advice along with testimony that said advice would be viable and you were provided both, yet you are resistant to do what essentially is an easy procedure because of the time it MAY take???
If you were MY employee and were stuck on an issue because you refused to exercise a simple recommended procedure, you would receive a pink slip with your last paycheck which would be docked for all the time you wasted discussing (which is all you've done) the topic online!
After I posted my last comment I did just what most of the contributors in this forum recommended, and surprise surprise, it worked! I did it while I watched a football game and my phone was back to normal before the game was over. So, Imagine that...a request for help followed by help/advice followed by action followed by a positive result!
So now you have even more of the positive confirmation you so badly needed. What you do with it is your choice, as it has been all this time.
Also, and in closing, in the world I live in people get tired of other people expressing their problem and refusing to take advice while continuing to stubbornly complain about the same problem. I'll add self-centered to my close minded statement. Keep this in mind as you contemplate your hard headed response, which I'm sure you'll spend yet more time posting.

P.S. A wise man once said that if a person is compelled to immediately react defensively to a statement, it is very likely that a nerve has been struck! THINK, my friend...think:)

mdeva

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't recall saying anything about not thinking. You're obviously thinking, thus your request for advice in this forum. Which, by the way, I find interesting given your vast IT experience. I'd like to believe that if I had that much experience in any field and that I wouldn't be on the internet asking for advice from strangers with unknown experience, knowledge or motivation.
You asked for advice along with testimony that said advice would be viable and you were provided both, yet you are resistant to do what essentially is an easy procedure because of the time it MAY take???
If you were MY employee and were stuck on an issue because you refused to exercise a simple recommended procedure, you would receive a pink slip with your last paycheck which would be docked for all the time you wasted discussing (which is all you've done) the topic online!
After I posted my last comment I did just what most of the contributors in this forum recommended, and surprise surprise, it worked! I did it while I watched a football game and my phone was back to normal before the game was over. So, Imagine that...a request for help followed by help/advice followed by action followed by a positive result!
So now you have even more of the positive confirmation you so badly needed. What you do with it is your choice, as it has been all this time.
Also, and in closing, in the world I live in people get tired of other people expressing their problem and refusing to take advice while continuing to stubbornly complain about the same problem. I'll add self-centered to my close minded statement. Keep this in mind as you contemplate your hard headed response, which I'm sure you'll spend yet more time posting.

P.S. A wise man once said that if a person is compelled to immediately react defensively to a statement, it is very likely that a nerve has been struck! THINK, my friend...think:)

Guess I struck a nerve!

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
What you did was motivate me to do a factory reset (the original topic) that I was reluctant to perform for different reasons than yours. So I thank you for that! Reading your post made me realize that I wasn't observing my favorite troubleshooting formula, which is I over E...intellect over emotion. My emotional hangup was fear, based on past mistakes, but you helped me to take a look at the issue (again, factory resets) and change my outlook to an intellectual one. What your emotional hangup is remains a mystery, but I will say that stubbornness and procrastination can be considered emotional based behaviors.
So again, I thank you, as the issue I was having seems to have been resolved by said factory reset, along with a cache wipe.
And just one more thing...if you look at my many other postings you'll see that I've asked a staggering amount of questions, many of which now seem very stupid:) However what you'll also see is that in almost every case I at least followed the advice I asked to receive, and always thanked or acknowledged the responders. The people here want to help, and take time out of their day to try to help others out. That deserves recognition, minimally. It's called common courtesy. Additionally, and in closing, (aimed at any one reading this) if you ask a question you need to be ready to hear the answer you don't want. Otherwise don't ask it

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, save the one that isn't asked". Mark Twain, maybe???

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I had some issues with my GS3 yesterday.

I did 3 factory resets, 3 cache wipes, 3 Dalvik cache wipes and flashed a ROM update. Used TiBa to restore my apps and data (although Play was downloading them as soon as I logged in to Google); restored Nova launcher and had my home screens back. Restored SMS with SMS Backup.

I may have had a benefit because I'm rooted and using a custom ROM but the process took less than 90 minutes start to finish with very little input on my part once the ROM was flashed.

Every time I've done a Factory Reset it has improved my phone's performance - without hours spent restoring apps.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I always factory reset:

1. New Phones: Just cause, I don't always like what the Reps do when they think they're trying to help you.

2. After every major FW update, or decent sized maintenance update: Because Android is like Windows Me and needs this. Most of the issues people complain about after FW updates are easily fixed by Factory Resetting the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon