So I just got an email from Verizon saying that I'm eligible for an early upgrade. I'm so tempted to accept it. I just have to decide is it with it.

Do I get the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or stay with my Samsung Galaxy S 3 and save the money.

It's an edge offer only and I'm only saving like 7 months. I can upgrade next July.

Did anyone else get this offer?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S 3
    11-25-2013 07:21 PM
    So I just got an email from Verizon saying that I'm eligible for an early upgrade. I'm so tempted to accept it. I just have to decide is it with it.

Do I get the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or stay with my Samsung Galaxy S 3 and save the money.

It's an edge offer only and I'm only saving like 7 months. I can upgrade next July.

have u looked at Moto X or HTC One?
    11-25-2013 07:56 PM
    I have. I'm not that big of fan of HTC and the moto x definitely is a good phone. My thing is, I want a good camera and the moto x isn't exactly a top notch camera.

11-25-2013 07:59 PM
    Or wait a few months until the Samsung galaxy s5 comes out.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-25-2013 07:59 PM
    I have. I'm not that big of fan of HTC and the moto x definitely is a good phone. My thing is, I want a good camera and the moto x isn't exactly a top notch camera.

moto X camera was not a top notch camera but with the latest update it is up to the level of other phones.
    DS1331 likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:00 PM
    Or wait a few months until the Samsung galaxy s5 comes out.

Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah I definitely am considering that as well.

11-25-2013 08:00 PM
    moto X camera was not a top notch camera but with the latest update it is up to the level of other phones.
    Really, I didn't know that.

11-25-2013 08:01 PM
    Going from a Galaxy S 3 to a Moto X, do you think I'd notice a downgrade in screen resolution?

11-25-2013 08:02 PM
    Going from a Galaxy S 3 to a Moto X, do you think I'd notice a downgrade in screen resolution?

well, Moto X has a better resolution than S3 but the important thing is color saturation.

The color reproduction is a lot better than S3.. I have used N4 and i thought it was good.

when i started using Moto X I was blown away by the difference. it was night and day.
    bontjes likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:07 PM

also u should know that its running KitKat.
    11-25-2013 08:08 PM
    also u should know that its running KitKat.
    Yup that definitely grabs my attention as well.

11-25-2013 08:09 PM

I also got the same email. I have to do some research. I have unlimited data and I don't want to lose it yet. I know the time will eventually come but if I can hold off I will. Also that edge program will have me paying full price for the phone. Read the email it's a no contract offer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    bontjes likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:13 PM
    I also got the same email. I have to do some research. I have unlimited data and I don't want to lose it yet. I know the time will eventually come but if I can hold off I will. Also that edge program will have me paying full price for the phone. Read the email it's a no contract offer.

I am fine with paying the full price. Odds are I'll choose the early upgrade next summer or maybe next Christmas. That's the benefit to me. I miss the new phone option every year. I don't like having to wait the full two years. Verizon is getting bad about that. Can't even do the 20 month thing anymore.

I always said that I would be willing to pay a premium for a one year option. And I get to.

11-25-2013 08:24 PM
    I got that email as well. I'm on Note 2 which I love, but there's some impressive hardware upgrade with Note 3 that is really tempting. I also like the option for earlier upgrade-6 months if you have 50% of the phone paid off. I'm just really torn. Gonna go ready Note 2 and Note 3 forums to try to get an honest opinion from someone who's owned both phones. (I was a total Moto gal for years, but the last two Motorola phones I had kind of turned me off-especially after I got the Samsung Note 2-better camera, better call quality, less glitchy. IMO YMMV)
    11-26-2013 11:03 AM
    If you join the Verizon Edge thing. I got the same upgrade email. I don't like it though. You essentially are always paying for a phone it seems. Nah... I'm good.
    11-26-2013 01:50 PM
    If you join the Verizon Edge thing. I got the same upgrade email. I don't like it though. You essentially are always paying for a phone it seems. Nah... I'm good.
    Yeah but that is always the point. It's really more like a car lease than anything else.

11-26-2013 02:26 PM
    Man i wish they would do that for me. What mo of the contract were you in when you received the letter

11-26-2013 11:19 PM
    Man i wish they would do that for me. What mo of the contract were you in when you received the letter

I got the email the other day. I think i have 6 months left on the contract.

Might have something to do with having four lines in the account and never being late with a payment.

11-26-2013 11:39 PM
    well, Moto X has a better resolution than S3 but the important thing is color saturation.

The color reproduction is a lot better than S3.. I have used N4 and i thought it was good.

when i started using Moto X I was blown away by the difference. it was night and day.
    The Screen Resolution on the X and S3 are the same. The 4.3 update for the S3 improves the color reproduction so you cannot really make a decent comparison with that until you get the update, which has not rolled out for VZW, yet.

Performance also improves quite a bit.

Personally I'd save upgrade for a next gen device, except maybe the Note 3 if you're into that, because it has hardware/software features that simply aren't available in other smartphones (S Pen, etc.).

The Moto X camera software still isn't even close to being on the level of an HTC, Sony, or Samsung smartphone and neither are any of the third party camera apps in the Play Store, IMO.
    bontjes likes this.
    11-27-2013 08:29 AM
    The Screen Resolution on the X and S3 are the same. The 4.3 update for the S3 improves the color reproduction so you cannot really make a decent comparison with that until you get the update, which has not rolled out for VZW, yet.

Performance also improves quite a bit.

Personally I'd save upgrade for a next gen device, except maybe the Note 3 if you're into that, because it has hardware/software features that simply aren't available in other smartphones (S Pen, etc.).

The Moto X camera software still isn't even close to being on the level of an HTC, Sony, or Samsung smartphone and neither are any of the third party camera apps in the Play Store, IMO.
    I agree. I think I have decided to wait. The only real way to get the current software is to get the device that comes out right before the next version of Android. In other words of you want 4.4 you basically need to get the next Samsung device... Not the current one and then be set to not get any updates! (just be hopeful).

Anyway, I really like the Moto X but I've come to really use and respect my camera and I couldn't imagine taking a step back in that department.

The screen is important, but i figure it should only get better or at the least, stay the same from one device to the next.

The overall performance makes the phone. It's user specific on what measures that expectation.

So what do you value and what could you go without.

The Note 3 is the only phone right now that stands out in my mind as cutting edge. The G2 is an honorable mention, in my book.

I have the S 3 and so getting the S 4 would only seem to be an incremental increase.

Assuming that Verizon sells the S 5 (or that Samsung even makes one) I'll wait and consider that.

I think that has been the most disappointing aspect on Verizon, for me. I can't rely on my premium retailer to partake in cutting edge devices. They definitely don't take software upgrades seriously.

Well, maybe they take the testing to seriously? Truth be told we, have no idea if Verizon is even interested in improving the current handsets by upgrading them to the next version of Android that is given to them for free. Specially considering my phone is on 4.1 and never saw 4.2, 4.3 and will likely never have a chance at 4.4.

I wish upgrades would be a part of the customer satisfaction survey that the carriers compete for and take pride in winning. You know? I mean, providing a core upgrade to existing phones should be weighted with respect and pride by the carriers. But, it's not.

If I was AT&T I would upgrade as many phones as I could and then advertise that like crazy.

"We here at AT&T take you continuing satisfaction seriously and are committed to keeping your phones software as up to date as we can. By doing this, we hope you find the upgrades to be a positive attribute to your existing phone. When you are ready for the next best thing in hardware, rest assured that we will continue to provide the cutting edge technology that you have come to love and respect."

Anyway...

That is what I think. However, software upgrades aren't important to the keeping the profit margins increasing... That takes sales.

11-27-2013 07:42 PM
    I got that same email. It is a bad deal. You are giving Verizon your S3 for nothing. You are simply handing it over to them. If your phone is in good condition you could sell it on ebay or swappa between $200 to $230. The edge program is taking the full price of the phone and breaking it down to 24 installments. If you want the moto x wait till Monday and get the deal from Motorola. It will cost $350. Sell your S3 $200, so you are only out $150. That is a tad over 8 months worth of edge payments ($20 a month).

S3 is still a good phone. When it was released last year it was so advanced that nothing is that much ahead now. I am keeping mine till upgrade time in August. At that time the Moto X version 2 maybe out or some other close to google experience phone will be out.
    socialillz and bontjes like this.
    11-29-2013 08:18 AM