4.3 Update Features

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone explain what "Smart Stay" is ? Also, what is the "Power Saving" ?

Ok Neil, here it goes. "Smart Stay" enables the phone to pause when you are not actually watching a video and will start playing again once your phone can tell that you're actually looking at the screen. "Power Saving" mode is to help you out with the battery life on your phone by adjusting the settings to where only certain programs run when they are absolutely needed. It's supposed to help extend the battery life but it's been so good on my phone without using this mode I don't ever use it anyway.

Hope that this helped you out.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok Neil, here it goes. "Smart Stay" enables the phone to pause when you are not actually watching a video and will start playing again once your phone can tell that you're actually looking at the screen. "Power Saving" mode is to help you out with the battery life on your phone by adjusting the settings to where only certain programs run when they are absolutely needed. It's supposed to help extend the battery life but it's been so good on my phone without using this mode I don't ever use it anyway.

Hope that this helped you out.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Smart Stay is just a gimmick so I will do without it. I have other power saving apps so I guess I will also do without it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
"Smart Stay" enables the phone to pause when you are not actually watching a video and will start playing again once your phone can tell that you're actually looking at the screen.
Uh, sorry, but unless they've changed the behavior in 4.3, Smart Stay merely prevents the screen from turning off if it thinks that you're looking at the screen (rather than turning off at the normal timeout) - it doesn't have anything to do with pausing videos.

You can tell that the feature is working when you see a little eye icon up on the Status bar. (FWIW, the feature never worked very well for me - about the time I'd see the eye up on the Status bar, the screen would turn off. YMMV.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something? I keep reading about lockscreen widgets but can't find anything, even when I go into settings and lockscreen.
I've always had some apps set there that I can open from the lockscreen.
Are lockscreen widgets something different?

Posted via Android Central App

Go into the general settings, and then to lock screen. If they aren't turned on already you can turn them on there.

If they are on when at the lock screen you can swipe to the right and access certain widgets there by long pressing on the lock screen. There should be a plus sign in the middle of the screen.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Uh, sorry, but unless they've changed the behavior in 4.3, Smart Stay merely prevents the screen from turning off if it thinks that you're looking at the screen (rather than turning off at the normal timeout) - it doesn't have anything to do with pausing videos.

You can tell that the feature is working when you see a little eye icon up on the Status bar. (FWIW, the feature never worked very well for me - about the time I'd see the eye up on the Status bar, the screen would turn off. YMMV.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I just was going off of what this does in the past on Smart Stay. Now was I spot on about the Power Saving mode?

swindelljd

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Try going into accessibility and then scroll down to flash notification. If it's checked, uncheck it. If it's not checked, check it and then uncheck it. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for me. Good luck!

This happened to me for the first time while driving at night. The flash blinded me and surprised the crap out of me and I nearly drove off the road trying to make it stop. I looked and the "Flash Notification" checkbox in accessibility settings was already off. I had to toggle it on and then off again to get this to stop happening.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I googled it myself and we have the option using a $40 cord to display our cell info on a tv

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Smart stay is one of the better features of 4.3 and is not a gimmic. If you google smart stay on galaxy s3 it gives you exactly why. Using the camera eye the s3 recognizes you are using and looking at your cell phone and keeps the bright screen on at full power. It turns it off when you stop using your cell. You can now go into settings and click on 15 seconds for display light knowing ad long as you are using it cell screen will stay bright.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I just was going off of what this does in the past on Smart Stay.
Hmm, perhaps you're thinking about the S4 commercials? This has never been a feature of Smart Stay on the S3.
Now was I spot on about the Power Saving mode?
Well, you were right that it has something to do with battery savings :)
About the rest - not so much :(
upa6ena8.jpg

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I googled it myself and we have the option using a $40 cord to display our cell info on a tv
What was this in response to? This capability has been around from very early on following the Galaxy S3 introduction. You can also find it a little cheaper

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Go into the general settings, and then to lock screen. If they aren't turned on already you can turn them on there.

If they are on when at the lock screen you can swipe to the right and access certain widgets there by long pressing on the lock screen. There should be a plus sign in the middle of the screen.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

Lock screen widgets are only available if there is no security on the phone. If you use even swipe to unlock, there's no widget available. This is a Samsung innovation. AOSP allows lock screen widgets even when security is enabled.

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Lock screen widgets are only available if there is no security on the phone. If you use even swipe to unlock, there's no widget available. This is a Samsung innovation. AOSP allows lock screen widgets even when security is enabled.

But the new update allows you to control music on the lock screen (provided you opened the music player while unlocked) - the clock disappears, though...

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else believe that their battery is draining faster after upgrading to 4.3?

Mine definitely did before I did a factory reset. Now it's about the same as before. Maybe a little better. I haven't had a day so far that I haven't had to use GPS heavily so I have pretty much had my phone plugged in the whole time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Also what is day dream?
Edit: never mind definitely don't care anything about that lol don't want that on while I sleep at all.

chasenfreedom

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine definitely did before I did a factory reset. Now it's about the same as before. Maybe a little better. I haven't had a day so far that I haven't had to use GPS heavily so I have pretty much had my phone plugged in the whole time.

So I did a factory reset myself. I was prepared to sit awhile when I did it but it happened so fast & everything came back the way I had it. My phone seems to be responding lightening quick now but I'm wondering why I didn't have to go back & do everything like out the box. Did I need to um check those boxes for restoration to get a true factory reset, if there is such a thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech