Verizon Galaxy S3 - Jelly Bean Update and Google Maps/Navigation Rollback

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I really like what I'm seeing so far with the new 4.3 update to my Galaxy S3. Except that it automatically updated my Google Maps/Navigation and I can't figure out how to rollback this time. Google Navigation within the new Google Maps remains one of the most disappointing updates I've ever experienced. Prior to the update one could simply force stop and uninstall updates to get back all of the features that the original Google Navigation had, but now I don't see how I can do that.

MOST FRUSTRATING NAVIGATION FEATURE THAT THE NEW GOOGLE MAPS TOOK AWAY:

If you are in the middle of a trip (say 30 miles into your trip) and you hit traffic and want to check alternate routes and traffic times on the fly, the new Google Maps/Navigation shows you routes from where you started, NOT where you are. Well, 30 miles into a trip, why would I care how traffic is back where I started?! I want to see alternate routes and traffic times to my destination from WHERE I AM CURRENTLY! Drives me nuts.

...That and everything seems to take an extra click or two to get the info I need vs. the "original Google Navigation". Maps to me is okay, but Navigation took a big hit when it was combined into one app with Maps.

Any way to roll back?

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean Update and Google Maps/Navigation Rollback

I really like what I'm seeing so far with the new 4.3 update to my Galaxy S3. Except that it automatically updated my Google Maps/Navigation and I can't figure out how to rollback this time. Google Navigation within the new Google Maps remains one of the most disappointing updates I've ever experienced. Prior to the update one could simply force stop and uninstall updates to get back all of the features that the original Google Navigation had, but now I don't see how I can do that.

MOST FRUSTRATING NAVIGATION FEATURE THAT THE NEW GOOGLE MAPS TOOK AWAY:

If you are in the middle of a trip (say 30 miles into your trip) and you hit traffic and want to check alternate routes and traffic times on the fly, the new Google Maps/Navigation shows you routes from where you started, NOT where you are. Well, 30 miles into a trip, why would I care how traffic is back where I started?! I want to see alternate routes and traffic times to my destination from WHERE I AM CURRENTLY! Drives me nuts.

...That and everything seems to take an extra click or two to get the info I need vs. the "original Google Navigation". Maps to me is okay, but Navigation took a big hit when it was combined into one app with Maps.

Any way to roll back?

I'm trying something hacked a bit from xda-developers...but not really having good luck.

I called Google at 855.836.3987 which is play store support and got a really nice and caring rep who was genuinely trying to help me figure it out. Sadly, after 35 minutes of troubleshooting, my call dropped. I was told to contact the Play store from the Google Places support. The Places call center is open M-F 6am-5pm PST. If you access their site during that time at support.google.com/places/#contact=1 it has an option where you can have them call you. I felt it was the most reasonable place to contact Google as I can't properly access "My Places" with the Maps 7.xx+.

I'm fed up with the decontented Maps myself, the more dissatisfied people who call Google with these issues, we might actually get somewhere. I have certainly left lots of feedback to no avail.

Posted via Android Central App

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm. Anyone else know if/how one can roll back the Maps app to the "good 'ol days" version where Navigation was it's own blossoming and fully featured app?

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Hate hate maps in 4.3. I would gladly pay for the original navigation

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm. Anyone else know if/how one can roll back the Maps app to the "good 'ol days" version where Navigation was it's own blossoming and fully featured app?

Navigation was not a full app. It was a link into the Google Maps app the same way "Huddle" was a link inside the Google+ app.

OTA updates always come with updated apps when you do a version upgrade like this. Cannot expect an old version of Google Maps in a 4.3 update the same way people who depend on Google Talk's VoIP calling couldn't have expected Hangouts to not replace Talk in the FW, or Outlook Express users expecting it to come with Windows 7/8... If you needed what you had before the update, you shouldn't have installed the update...

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, well I didn't realize you couldn't roll back like I had done before, til it was too late. I like the update otherwise. I'm sure someone out there will have an idea on how to do it. Somehow...

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Navigation was not a full app. It was a link into the Google Maps app the same way "Huddle" was a link inside the Google+ app.

OTA updates always come with updated apps when you do a version upgrade like this. Cannot expect an old version of Google Maps in a 4.3 update the same way people who depend on Google Talk's VoIP calling couldn't have expected Hangouts to not replace Talk in the FW, or Outlook Express users expecting it to come with Windows 7/8... If you needed what you had before the update, you shouldn't have installed the update...

When navigation was "separate," you could have maps and navigation open separately. You can't do that now. Along with losing so many useful features and ease of use. Call Google at the 855 number I posted above. And have your friends call too.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

When navigation was "separate," you could have maps and navigation open separately. You can't do that now. Along with losing so many useful features and ease of use. Call Google at the 855 number I posted above. And have your friends call too.

There are more important things for us to waste time on. This barely registers to me if at all, and I never saw a need to have both of those open separately.

MapQuest and others are still free and usable if the new Maps is an issue for you at the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

There are more important things for us to waste time on. This barely registers to me if at all, and I never saw a need to have both of those open separately.

MapQuest and others are still free and usable if the new Maps is an issue for you at the moment.

I can appreciate that the loss of Maps features is alright by you, but not all of us agree. Reviews for the 7+ Maps would generally agree with me. I could download Mapquest and use it. However, I am still unable to access
"My Maps," Maps 7 does not have elevation profiles available for biking and walking, I can not access the "Local" and see proper Zagat ratings, etc...it's a downgrade.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I can appreciate that the loss of Maps features is alright by you, but not all of us agree. Reviews for the 7+ Maps would generally agree with me. I could download Mapquest and use it. However, I am still unable to access
"My Maps," Maps 7 does not have elevation profiles available for biking and walking, I can not access the "Local" and see proper Zagat ratings, etc...it's a downgrade.

Local is in Google+, as if Latitude. You can access that stuff just fine.

Reviews are to be taken with a grain bmp of salt.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

You can try Waze. If it has good maps of your area. I've been using it for a few months and after a while, I actually like it better than GMaps now. It will automatically re-route you if traffic conditions in front of you change.

I especially like that I can send my wife an email with a semi-live update of my travels. It comes in really handy when trying to get home through Houston traffic.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

You can try Waze. If it has good maps of your area. I've been using it for a few months and after a while, I actually like it better than GMaps now. It will automatically re-route you if traffic conditions in front of you change.

I especially like that I can send my wife an email with a semi-live update of my travels. It comes in really handy when trying to get home through Houston traffic.

I generally use Waze myself but its routing is really wonky, and maps. For now I'm just using my LG G2 for navigation because it has Maps 6.14.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

I generally use Waze myself but its routing is really wonky, and maps. For now I'm just using my LG G2 for navigation because it has Maps 6.14.

You're right about the wonky routing. In the beginning it was pretty bad, but as I've used it more, it has gotten better at routing. Now that I've been using it for a while, I usually have good routes displayed. However, just the other day it threw me a route home that took me about 6 miles out of the way! I kept getting closer to home, but it never re-routed me in a more direct/correct way.

Oh yeah, it was the "update" to Navigation that pushed me to Waze. I miss the old Navigation app.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Just download the old maps app from the web.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Just download the old maps app from the web.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

I've tried that and it will not install. There's a bit of a hacked up maps that I've downloaded and installed from xda, but it's not really working. :-/

Point is, why should we have to go through the trouble to get a properly functioning map and navigation app with access to our saved maps? That's why I recommend anyone who does not like the new downgraded maps app to leave feedback about missing features and issues with the new version, leave 1-star reviews in the play store with concise points about the failures of the new maps, and call them and express your dissatisfaction. The more people who express their negative opinions to Google, the more likely they will correct the issues.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

What is it saying when u try to install?? How bout a screen shot?

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

And fyi I love the new maps. To me its more convenient seeing as navigation is part of maps.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

How the hay were to know 4.3 would wipe out navigation. 4.3 in my opinion is a total bust. Gave me nothing

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Just start your navigation from where you are at that moment.
Choose a new route, and be on your way.
A work-around is all you're going to get.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

How the hay were to know 4.3 would wipe out navigation. 4.3 in my opinion is a total bust. Gave me nothing

Navigation is still there. I just used it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara