Verizon Galaxy S3: 4.3 update questions and issues!

fujiteam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 4.3 update questions and issues!

Can someone please tell me where I need to go to get my questions answered? I have posted twice in this thread and been completely ignored. If this is not the right place, please direct me to the place I need to be.

Posted via Android Central App

You are not alone. I guess I will just go make 2 threads for my two questions.

psuperman112

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Pattern Lock Question

I use the pattern lock on my phone and since the update, the area for the pattern lock is tiny and I keep inputting the wrong pattern because of the lack of space, normally this would be annoying at most but I have a security app that snaps a pic when the wrong pattern is drawn meaning that I get a bunch of pics snapped of myself inputting the wrong pattern daily since the update. Anyone know how to remove the widget on the top of the lock screen or somehow make the area to input the pattern bigger?

newbroot83

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I have two problems that the thread search did nto show results for. I listen to podcasts in dogcatcher. The volume rocker does not adjust the sound for media. I have to hit the volume button then the settings gear then slide the media bar to change the volume.

My second issue is using bluetooth speakers. I have a headset set to phone audio and a speaker set to media audio. The headset works perfectly. The speaker connects and the phone says it is connected, but the sound comes through the phone's speaker. Someone linked to a verison site foum where they mention issues with bluetooth in cars, I assume this is the media issue that I am having. Any fixes people know of?

1. I dont use dogcatcher so I dont have an answer for that. Have you emailed the dev?

2. My s3 connects fine to my camry both pre and post update. Have you tried clearing the cache and data in the bluetooth app?

Any issues you all have you need to list any steps you have taken to resolve the issue. If not then be prepared for basic trouble shooting steps to be your answers. Also, just because you do not get an immediate answer doesnt mean you are being ignored. Most of us have lives outside of the forums. Give us all some time to answer you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jazziii

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

since the update to 4.3 last night i can no longer view the pictures that are saved on my sd card i get a broken pic icon any fix for this or should i save my pics to my lappy and format the card x thanks for any help x

jazziii

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

sorry also if i try to use a pic as a profile pic it says unsupported format even though they are jpg files x

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Can someone please tell me where I need to go to get my questions answered? I have posted twice in this thread and been completely ignored. If this is not the right place, please direct me to the place I need to be.

Posted via Android Central App

Are you referring to your question about how to stop the software update notifications? If so, I know I've seen info somewhere in these forums ( but maybe not this thread) as to how to stop the reminders. Not sure if doing a search here on AC is an option but you could always do a Google search for "how to stop 4.3 update notifications" and see what comes up. I often do that even before coming here. Hope that helps:)

MichelleA075

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

A few of my apps are not oppening anymore (most of which return messages such as "Unfortunately, Opera Mini has stopped"). chrome, however, opens and closes without warning...

Any suggestions on what i should do? i tried restarting and clearing cache of some apps...

(Edit) some other apps not working are dropbox and trustgo security. There might be others too, I have quite a few apps...

I was having the same issue with my phone. Every time I opened the phone to dial a number, it would say "Unfortunately Contacts has stopped" and force close. I read on a thread on this site that if you go to Settings>Date and Time and change the date format it will fix it. It worked for my issue

ponch301

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

TEXT ISSUE
I look thru all 11 pages to see if there was a remedy but saw nothing so here goes. When i receive longer texts, they get broken up into smaller ones, and i dont get them in order. I'll page 1 4 3 2 5. You get what i'm saying. Why can't it just come in one long message. Any suggestions?

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I was having the same issue with my phone. Every time I opened the phone to dial a number, it would say "Unfortunately Contacts has stopped" and force close. I read on a thread on this site that if you go to Settings>Date and Time and change the date format it will fix it. It worked for my issue

I noticed I could fix those problems by uninstalling and reinstalling each app. As there were too many apps giving me this problem, I thought a factory reset would be easier to do. Unfortunately, other problems appeared, and the apps were not automatically donwloaded, so it ended giving me a lot of trouble anyway...

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Pattern Lock Question

I use the pattern lock on my phone and since the update, the area for the pattern lock is tiny and I keep inputting the wrong pattern because of the lack of space, normally this would be annoying at most but I have a security app that snaps a pic when the wrong pattern is drawn meaning that I get a bunch of pics snapped of myself inputting the wrong pattern daily since the update. Anyone know how to remove the widget on the top of the lock screen or somehow make the area to input the pattern bigger?

I had the same problem, and I still do, though I'm now getting used to it:p.
Anyway, I know you can change the size of the clock in Settings - Lock screen - Lock screen widgets, but it doesn't seem to affect the size of the pattern lock...

jblackmon87

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

I can't upload videos on instagram now after the update. It gives an error message and then crashes. Anyone know how to fix this

jonatanuwijaya

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

i updated my samsung and now has no idea bcd some of my apps can't work just by " has just stopped " and sometimes touch wizard can't work , any solutions androids folks ?

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site

My battery life after the upgrade is horrible. I have performed a factory reset and it has not gotten any better. I have also looked at the battery graph to see the biggest offenders. Google Play Services seems to be taking up a huge chunk of battery life, second only to the screen.

WiFi is also far less reliable for me now.

I also cannot stand seeing text previews on my pattern unlock screen. Two-factor google auth code SMS messages are now visible with the phone locked...and the only way that I have found to prevent that debacle is to turn off SMS preview completely, which means I now longer have SMS previews in the notification bar when I have the phone unlocked. What a huge step backward.

I didn't want this update and have yet to see anything in it that I find useful...and now wish they had not pushed it.

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

i updated my samsung and now has no idea bcd some of my apps can't work just by " has just stopped " and sometimes touch wizard can't work , any solutions androids folks ?

If you had read a few posts above you, you've have seen that I and MichelleA075 had the same problem. This is has also been discussed a few other times in this thread...

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I also cannot stand seeing text previews on my pattern unlock screen. Two-factor google auth code SMS messages are now visible with the phone locked...and the only way that I have found to prevent that debacle is to turn off SMS preview completely, which means I now longer have SMS previews in the notification bar when I have the phone unlocked. What a huge step backward.

It doesn't bother me that much, so I haven't tried this yet, but have you tried using an app to control what widgets appear in your lock screen? I think there exists some, though I don't know if they work on unrooted phones...

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't bother me that much, so I haven't tried this yet, but have you tried using an app to control what widgets appear in your lock screen? I think there exists some, though I don't know if they work on unrooted phones...

It bothers me because it is a massive security hole. Why should someone without your unlock code be able to see some portion of the the content of your text messages?

In the case of Google two-factor authentication text messages, this preview actually lets a person holding your locked phone see the authentication code. The only way to plug this hole is to turn off message previews...and there is no way in the SMS app to disable the preview on just the lock screen. Instead, you have to turn the preview off globally, which means no more message previews even when your phone is unlocked. Instead, I have to click on each notification to open the SMS app to see who the text is from...which sucks. If I am in a meeting and get a text, I now have no idea if it is from my boss, a client, or from RedBox. I spend a lot more time clicking on message notifications now...instead of ignoring 75% of them until an important one comes in....because I had to disable the preview.

I just see no reason that any portion of a text message should display on a locked phone...and disabling that behavior shouldn't essentially remove the notification functionality from the OS when the phone is unlocked. If anyone has figured out a way to fix this mess, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks.

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

It bothers me because it is a massive security hole. Why should someone without your unlock code be able to see some portion of the the content of your text messages?

In the case of Google two-factor authentication text messages, this preview actually lets a person holding your locked phone see the authentication code. The only way to plug this hole is to turn off message previews...and there is no way in the SMS app to disable the preview on just the lock screen. Instead, you have to turn the preview off globally, which means no more message previews even when your phone is unlocked. Instead, I have to click on each notification to open the SMS app to see who the text is from...which sucks. If I am in a meeting and get a text, I now have no idea if it is from my boss, a client, or from RedBox. I spend a lot more time clicking on message notifications now...instead of ignoring 75% of them until an important one comes in....because I had to disable the preview.

I just see no reason that any portion of a text message should display on a locked phone...and disabling that behavior shouldn't essentially remove the notification functionality from the OS when the phone is unlocked. If anyone has figured out a way to fix this mess, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks.

I should have clarified, sorry. I do agree that my messages should not appear in my lock screen. Therefore I disabled it, and the only inconvenience is that the message details don't appear in the notifications tab. Clicking on each notification to open the SMS app is what doesn't bother me too much (at some point, I would have to open the app anyway to mark the message as read).

Though Samsung/Verizon should not have changed this setting without warning, so users could disable it as soon as the update arrived.

dmac1682

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

This is a great p;ace to find info. I wish I had read thru the thread here before updating. Biggest complaint is the battery drain. I dont use the gps much and wi-fi is turned off too. I turn data off during the day as the location I work does not have coverage. Now the battery life drops lower than it used to. sux!

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

This is a great p;ace to find info. I wish I had read thru the thread here before updating. Biggest complaint is the battery drain. I dont use the gps much and wi-fi is turned off too. I turn data off during the day as the location I work does not have coverage. Now the battery life drops lower than it used to. sux!

Just an FYI - I am NOT experiencing the battery drain some have spoken about. I keep my GPS on all the time and have not done anything different after the update and my battery life has not made any significant changes. In fact, I have no issues with the update... knock knock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech