Emojis

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The phone's always been able to send them, just not display them. In 4.3 emojis are now built into the system font, so they can be displayed (and still sent). However, you need a keyboard that can do that. Now, I'm not sure if with the 4.3 update the Samsung Keyboard also got updated, but if it did, it SHOULD have emoji support. If not, you can download other options like SwiftKey (emoji is currently only supported on the Beta version, though) or Emoji Keyboard.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Samsung phones on JB all have an Emoji font. Displaying has never been an issue. Sending has been the issue, since the default keyboards do not support Emoji by default.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Using a Samsung S4 JB4.3 and downloaded the Google k/b. ;-) free.
It sends and displays emojis. O:)

I use google keyboard and cannot find where the emojis are in it.. a little help?

Google's patch notes state that emoji on the Google Keyboard are only supported on Android Kit Kat (4.4), so I'm not sure where or how that person is seeing Emoji on that keyboard...

From their description on the Play Store:

• Emoji entry point and layouts (Android 4.4, KitKat or later)

Personally I'm not downloading Google Keyboard to check because I don't think it's there, the updated Samsung Keyboard works great and I don't feel need for an alternative anymore, and the Emoji on Android 4.3 are monochrome and look like crap, anyways... Only KitKat has full color emoji, and they're the same lame ones that are in the Hangouts app.

SwiftKey will have emoji soon (in beta now), but it uses the system emoji font, which - as stated - isn't that good on Android.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, the emoji on the Samsung updated keyboard look good. The default Android system font is awful in Black and White, and in KitKat things are just worse; sure, they are now in color but they're the worst designed emojis ever! That Hangouts mascot thingy is just hideous, and most of the time the emojis it's supposed to be emulating, just don't reflect what the same emoji looks like on other systems.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hangouts emojis are a poor knock-off of the WhatsApp ones - you'd think Google could do a better job than that. If they can buy Boston Robotics (no obvious Android benefit) you'd think they could invest a little more in something like this.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

RodneyK19505

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I use google keyboard and cannot find where the emojis are in it.. a little help?

Blafair -
Sorry I didn't answer sooner.
If you long-press the bottom right key (the arrow that points to the left) you get a smilie pop-up. Move your finger over that.
Sure the emojis are monochrome but they are usable and you get used to them. Not the best solution it's true. :)

So Be It.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
So if I am on 4.3 TW and do not want swift key or google, I cannot get emojis on the stock samsung keyboard?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk