Galaxy S3: Your Internet connection is unstable.

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
So, why am I getting this error message everytime I connect to any wifi. Home, work, friends house, it doesn't matter.
It's random when the error message appears.
Anyone have a clue?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Your Internet connection is unstable.

If this happens every time you use wifi, I'd be apt to try a full factory reset if I were you. Make sure you have your phone contents backed up, though. You'll have to bring your apps and data back manually, so good to have it all backed up. But do try your wifi after the reset, before you bring apps and data back to see if the problem is fixed at that point.

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

The thing is though it has something to do with the 4.3 update because there was never an issue before.
It's like Verizon got rid of the permanent wifi notification in the shade and replaced it with this error message that is pretty much up all the time in my shade now.
Speed test shows me at 36Mb but I think I solved the issue. I just clicked the message and said don't ever show me this again haha.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

I was having this problem and it kept switching back to 3/4G. In the advanced settings under the wi-fi menu uncheck the box for auto network switch. This will keep you logged into your wi-fi regardless of the "poor connection".

TimBoch

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Yep. Getting this message constantly since installing 4.3 last night. I guess I'll see how it goes with other hotspots I use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

The thing is though it has something to do with the 4.3 update because there was never an issue before.
It's like Verizon got rid of the permanent wifi notification in the shade and replaced it with this error message that is pretty much up all the time in my shade now.
Speed test shows me at 36Mb but I think I solved the issue. I just clicked the message and said don't ever show me this again haha.

But did you do a reset after doing the 4.3 update? This is a major OS jump, from 4.1.2 to 4.3. It isn't surprising that what's on your phone from 4.1.2 may not play that well with 4.3, or could potentially have gotten corrupted during the update process. If you're having any problems it would be good to be at a baseline, which you would get by doing a factory reset and re-installing your apps. You should only have to do it once, but you'll have less problems. I plan on doing the equivalent when I update, a factory reset after the OTA, or if I flash a new ROM for 4.3, that's essentially starting from a reset state.

chrisrayw

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

But did you do a reset after doing the 4.3 update? This is a major OS jump, from 4.1.2 to 4.3. It isn't surprising that what's on your phone from 4.1.2 may not play that well with 4.3, or could potentially have gotten corrupted during the update process. If you're having any problems it would be good to be at a baseline, which you would get by doing a factory reset and re-installing your apps. You should only have to do it once, but you'll have less problems. I plan on doing the equivalent when I update, a factory reset after the OTA, or if I flash a new ROM for 4.3, that's essentially starting from a reset state.

Sorry, I'm terribly ignorant: would I be right in assuming that, if I back up my phone using Samsung Kies, I can then copy the apps on to the phone after doing the reset? Or is there a better way of making sure I don't lose track of my apps? And what about the URLs of my internet favourites? Needless to say, I'm having exactly the same problems as Eion and Photo_Drew since the software update yesterday. Thanks for any guidance, but a factory reset seems a bit dramatic to me. :)

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I'm terribly ignorant: would I be right in assuming that, if I back up my phone using Samsung Kies, I can then copy the apps on to the phone after doing the reset? Or is there a better way of making sure I don't lose track of my apps? And what about the URLs of my internet favourites? Needless to say, I'm having exactly the same problems as Eion and Photo_Drew since the software update yesterday. Thanks for any guidance, but a factory reset seems a bit dramatic to me. :)

Well, I usually re-install them from the Google Play Store rather than a backup, it has a complete record of your apps, and the latest versions, in case fixes have been made for OS updates. Also, you can use Google for your contacts. I've never had much luck with Kies that would lead me to trust it for backups. By data, I guess I meant more "media", like music, pictures, etc. I back up that stuff on my PC (music, photos, etc.), and then back up to Carbonite from my PC.

Not sure what you mean by "dramatic", I'm personally looking for effective.ways of normalizing my phone if I have problems after an update. A factory reset and manual reconfiguration will do that.

chrisrayw

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

OK, thanks, MrDoh. I'll check where I am with Google Play Store first. I also use Carbonite and Dropbox, so recovery of media files wouldn't be an issue - it might even help me clean out a lot of stuff that I never know where to find in Android. Dramatic? Well, just fear of the unknown, I guess, when one's deleting a whole load of apps, most, if not all, of which work perfectly.

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Well, for me I never lost wifi signal when receiving the message. Auto network was already unchecked so that doesn't seem to be the culprit. All I know is that after telling it to never show me the message again it hasn't and like I said my connection has been fine. I guess if the phone acts up later down the road I'll have to factory reset.

chrisrayw

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

Well, for me I never lost wifi signal when receiving the message. Auto network was already unchecked so that doesn't seem to be the culprit. All I know is that after telling it to never show me the message again it hasn't and like I said my connection has been fine.
Unfortunately, Eion, this isn't an option on my phone; if you get "There was a network error", all you can do is click on OK...

Paul Robins1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I think he means the box you tick above the option of cancel or OK (at the bottom of the message that comes up when you click on the error message) You should have this option as its an andriod message

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Resetting to factory default doesn't do it. I was on CM right before the 4.3 hit and decided to give it a try so I reflashed one of the oldest available roms and did ota after ota (I think there were about 5 or 6) until I got to 4.3. Needless to say I still get the wifi connection error the OP mentioned. Well, it's a verizon update so its nound to be glitchy....:)

Posted via Android Central App

ricardocoto

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

FYI,
I'm on Galaxy Note II on Telus network in Canada and having the same issue; this has to be related to Android OS latest update and not network specific.
As other users did, I also selected not to be notified anymore and have the auto network switch "off". If down the road I experience more issues with WiFi, I'll consider a factory reset; for now let's see how it goes.
Cheers,

jdr004

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Just a thought...

But has anyone ever thought this was a SAMSUNG thing? The reason I say this is because after a recent update on all 3 of my Samsung SMART T.Vs...I'm constantly getting a message from all T.Vs, and my S4 saying that my internet connection is un stable.

I don't know how much more "stable" Samsung would like a 60 Mbps connection with a top of the line ASUS AC router...

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I've gotten the message a couple times, sitting right next to the router.
Even after a factory reset. Never got it before 4.3

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm seeing this message when I boot my phone now that I've flashed it with a 4.3-based ROM. Really don't care, since my wireless is fine, and is perfectly functional for me, including on the phone itself. Wireless doesn't have to be perfect, just has to work. In fact, it is perfectly normal for wireless strength to vary, which could be seen as "instability" *smile*. Like any message of this sort, I should be able to disable it, so will be looking for a way to do that when I see it next.

Update: Done, shouldn't see that message again *smile*.

Last edited:

theprodigal

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Just got the 4.3 update for my galaxy s3 on Verizon today. Had this same issue (unstable internet connection).

For me (and I have absolutely no idea how or why it happened) the solution was to turn off HTTP proxy for my wifi network (it was set to 127.0.0.1 which is the local host loopback and a strange 5000 port). To be clear, I have never had a proxy so I'm not sure why that was there in the first place? Its odd because I still had internet access with the proxy setting, but it was very slow.

After I disabled this setting, everything seems to be faster (and no more unstable message).

dawghowse

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I'll repost the fix I found this has worked for my S3 it has also worked on a couple of my friends phones.

-Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
-Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
-When the device vibrates; release only the Power key while still holding the other two keys.
-When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
-Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and press the Power key to select.
-Wait for the cache is cleared. While reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power key and reboot the device.
This worked for me. I hope it works for you.

-dawghowse

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac