Galaxy S3: Your Internet connection is unstable.

William Blackwell

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Your Internet connection is unstable.

Update the firmware on your router. D-Link just put out an update specifically for Galaxy products on 6/13. Belkin is probably around the same time.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Just got the 4.3 update for my galaxy s3 on Verizon today. Had this same issue (unstable internet connection).

For me (and I have absolutely no idea how or why it happened) the solution was to turn off HTTP proxy for my wifi network (it was set to 127.0.0.1 which is the local host loopback and a strange 5000 port). To be clear, I have never had a proxy so I'm not sure why that was there in the first place? Its odd because I still had internet access with the proxy setting, but it was very slow.

After I disabled this setting, everything seems to be faster (and no more unstable message).

This would have been cleared by a full factory reset after taking the OTA...you might consider that if you have other problems that relate to settings. I do find myself going through all my settings anyways, when I take an update on my phone to make sure that the phone is set up as I want it to be. I do remember that after taking one of the first updates after getting my phone that I was having a few miscellaneous problems even after going through all my settings. So I did a factory reset at that point and went through my settings yet again *smile*, but after the factory reset and re-setting up my phone, I didn't have any more problems.

Yessah01

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

dawghouse,

Thanks so much, dude! I created an account just to let you and everyone else know that your fix worked. It took about 60 seconds to perform and now I am back up and running. Much appreciated! Peace.

authemmie

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm with yessah01 in that I made an account to specifically thank dawghouse. I was getting this internet message, but more annoyingly my alarm clock had stopped working since the update. I set 4 test alarms in the past several hours after doing these steps and each one of them has gone off without a hitch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the magic solution to my rampant issues since upgrading to 4.3!

BubbleyKailey

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I'll repost the fix I found this has worked for my S3 it has also worked on a couple of my friends phones.

-Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
-Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
-When the device vibrates; release only the Power key while still holding the other two keys.
-When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
-Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and press the Power key to select.
-Wait for the cache is cleared. While reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power key and reboot the device.
This worked for me. I hope it works for you.

-dawghowse

It worked for me too!! Signed up to say thanks :)

Tejas_Thom

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

This works! Thanks. I just followed the steps on my Galaxy S3 VZW phone. Not only did the error go away but 4G and network is running faster now.

flippinsweet264

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

i did these steps, and yes it is not showing the message, "your internet is unstable", but my connection is still very slow. it is either loading very very slow, or not even loading. With my brothers sg3, his connections works perfectly fine. is it just my phone..or is there something i can do to resolve this problem?

Megz_Ethan

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

I'll repost the fix I found this has worked for my S3 it has also worked on a couple of my friends phones.

-Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
-Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
-When the device vibrates; release only the Power key while still holding the other two keys.
-When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
-Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and press the Power key to select.
-Wait for the cache is cleared. While reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power key and reboot the device.
This worked for me. I hope it works for you.

-dawghowse

What exactly does that do? Will it wipe my phone?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

What exactly does that do? Will it wipe my phone?
It wipes the system cache (similar to how you can wipe the cache for individual apps; this wipes the cache that the Operating System uses).

No, it won't wipe your phone. You won't even notice a change (other than perhaps fixing the problem).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

D Rogue

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

I tried the cache wipe, twice, and it didn't work for me. I have a Note 2, and I get the "Your internet connection is unstable" notice on every Wi-Fi network I log into. Everything worked perfectly until I did the 4.3 upgrade. I did notice one cool thing with the upgrade, though, and that is I can now see the actual picture thumbnail in windows explorer when I hook the phone up to my PC to transfer files, whereas before all I saw was a jpeg graphic instead of the actual thumbnail picture.

After doing a Google search on the topic, and seeing how many people are experiencing the same problem, I have to imagine they'd come up with a fix before KitKat gets released for Verizon phones. Please do!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I get the "Your internet connection is unstable" notice on every Wi-Fi network I log into.
Per suggestions earlier in the thread, just turn off the notification.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Per suggestions earlier in the thread, just turn off the notification.

This solution worked for me *smile*...I never see the message any more and my wifi just works.

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Just an update, since my 12/23/13 post I have yet to see this message again. Telling it to not show me the fake error message worked for me.

Corvidious

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Galaxy S4 with 4.3 running on Sprint network.
Clearing the cache didn't work for me. I seem to have alleviated the problem by removing a third-party app meant to turn on the wifi only at locations it was used. It may have been responding to the notifications by shutting wifi down. Now I manage wifi manually (Smart Mode is also off).

nmohara

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the advice. So far, so good with no unstable message in the half hour since I followed your directions. Thanks!