Update Bricked my Phone :(

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
So downloaded and installed the software update. The update seemed to install fine and the phone re-booted and updated apps and what-not. Then it rebooted by itself and now it will not go past the "Samsung Galaxy S3" splash screen (not even to the Verizon splash).

I've tried to boot in recovery/do a hard reset and I can't even get that option. When I hold the Power, Volume Up and Menu key the phone vibrates but nothing happens.

I assume this is a total lost cause and I'm going to have to go to Verizon tomorrow and plead for a replacement but does anybody else have any other ideas?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm a novice so please excuse me if this is obviously wrong but can you use Odin to install firmware? I suppose you can't connect to computer though.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what that even means - so I guess I'm even more of a novice than you are.

Confirmed connection to a computer seems impossible.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you took the OTA update and it bricked your phone then Verizon should have no other option then to replace your phone.

Have you tried a battery pull ?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a novice so please excuse me if this is obviously wrong but can you use Odin to install firmware? I suppose you can't connect to computer though.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

It might work, but the file needed would have to be available. Last I knew, those files were hard to come by.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to battery pull multiple times - but I still can't get it to boot (regularly or in boot recovery).

If you can't boot into recovery then you more than likely can't boot into download mode so the option to use ODIN to flash the 4.3 factory image is not a option anyways.
If you just took the OTA and it bricked your phone then Verizon should replace it.

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying - as soon as it happened I sort of figured nothing else could be done.

I'm going to bring it to my Verizon store tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to walk out of there with a replacement ASAP - because not having a phone is really not an option - it's only been 6 hours and I feel like I need to be in addiction counseling!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for trying - as soon as it happened I sort of figured nothing else could be done.

I'm going to bring it to my Verizon store tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to walk out of there with a replacement ASAP - because not having a phone is really not an option - it's only been 6 hours and I feel like I need to be in addiction counseling!

Best of luck!

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon wouldn't replace my phone because they said there was physical damage near the charging port. Instead they made me go through my insurance with a $100 deductible and I'm obviously not getting the phone until tomorrow. Just stay away from this update - it's not worth the aggravation!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Verizon wouldn't replace my phone because they said there was physical damage near the charging port. Instead they made me go through my insurance with a $100 deductible and I'm obviously not getting the phone until tomorrow. Just stay away from this update - it's not worth the aggravation!

Bummer. What happened to good old fashioned customer service?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

At this point, I realize this doesn't help you, but this is why I always call the CS 1-800 number vs. taking my phone to the store in person. Generally if you call and explain what happened as it did to you, they'll ship you out a replacement unit ASAP. Yes, you'll have to ship yours back for inspection, but personal experience tells me that "they" (whomever it is that receives the return) is MUCH more forgiving than the folks working at the stores. Obviously, if damage is significant enough it doesn't matter, but if we're talking about minor dings and dents here, let's face it, that's probably not what caused your update to fail.

I advised my sister to do this her S3 a few months ago. She had been using it in her armband while running, and condensation formed underneath the screen making it unusable. The water damage indicators were fine. I told her that if she took it to the store, they'd probably take one look it and refuse to believe it was a defect and wouldn't replace it. She called the 800 number, the CS rep was very nice and admitted that some screens did have an issue with condensation and agreed to send her a replacement right away. The rep did tell her that if it was determined to be caused by "user damage" when she sent it back they would charge her, but as long as the phone was otherwise in good shape and the water indicators were OK that it most likely would not be a problem...my sister received her replacement a day later and was never charged after she sent hers back.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I'm not suggesting that calling the 800 number to go though Verizon's national CS is guaranteed to get you a new phone or is guaranteed to get you better service than by taking it to a store...I'm just sharing my personal experience. Your experience may vary. Obviously when dealing with CS reps on the phone, politeness is key...most will be willing to help as much as they can if you're pleasant to talk to.

Last edited:

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Sorry didn't mean to thumbs up it I pressed wrong button but they should replace it cos its got software failure that is not your fault despite the damage on the handset...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
At this point, I realize this doesn't help you, but this is why I always call the CS 1-800 number vs. taking my phone to the store in person. Generally if you call and explain what happened as it did to you, they'll ship you out a replacement unit ASAP. Yes, you'll have to ship yours back for inspection, but personal experience tells me that "they" (whomever it is that receives the return) is MUCH more forgiving than the folks working at the stores. Obviously, if damage is significant enough it doesn't matter, but if we're talking about minor dings and dents here, let's face it, that's probably not what caused your update to fail.

The phone was bought last July and with daily use (even with a screen protector and case) and it looked used but nothing was physically wrong with the phone! I wish I had read this before and called customer service.

As if I already wasn't annoyed the in store people tried to suggest I upgrade to the S4 (I'm eligible for an upgrade but waiting for the S5 which I hope is a larger improvement) and it would have cost me $318 - you've got to be kidding me. There is a reason I don't actually buy my phones from Verizon - what a rip-off!

I hope that other people learn from my horrible experience and helpful advice here and don't have to deal with what I had to go through.

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Also although it probably doesn't matter I did try to wipe the device remotely. My hope is that if anybody does manage to turn the thing on hopefully it won't still have all my apps and information on it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you can't boot into recovery then you more than likely can't boot into download mode
This is incorrect - there have been lots of posts that I've read where people are unable to get into Recovery mode (usually because they've run into issues during root attempts that also load a custom recovery) but are still able to get into Download mode (that doesn't get messed with during any rooting processes). It's always worth attempting to boot into Download mode, especially since it's so quick to check.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci