Samsung Galaxy S3: Verizon free wifi won't work after today's update

DavidKoss1

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
My verizon galaxy 3 used to have mobile hotspot free operating. I allowed the samsung update today and now I can't get a single free wifi hotspot to work. I get the good old "verizon subscription" message. I don't think you can undo the update and I'm not going to pay verizon for the hotspot subscription since I already have unlimited data. Any ideas or rumors of a new program coming?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 verizon free wifi won't work after today's update

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&token=h9nh4_ZT

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

I've read that foxfi doesn't work after taking the 4.3 update...you could, however, root and use a custom ROM (saferoot and safestrap), and then add a tethering fix to that (or use a ROM with tethering fix added in already). A long way to go for it, though.

Update: Sorry, the posting that I read must have been wrong then...I hate to spread incorrect information, glad that this has been corrected. Thanks.

Last edited:

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I've read that foxfi doesn't work after taking the 4.3 update...you could, however, root and use a custom ROM (saferoot and safestrap), and then add a tethering fix to that (or use a ROM with tethering fix added in already). A long way to go for it, though.

It works just fine if you follow the instructions on the FoxFi play store site. I have the 4.3 with unlimited data and it worked perfectly by setting up the PIN as they instruct, then enter it incorrectly a bunch of times, enter your Google password and you are back to a swipe lock screen.

livewiremaxx

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Ditto to Davidoo1 I have Foxfi working fine and unlimited data. Had to set the lock screen pin pad and do the forgot pin to stop it cause I didnt want a pin but ya working fine.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know how long the "free" version of FoxFi will work? There is some cryptic message about a "limit" on the free version, but what is it? Is it a time limit or certain data limit? I have been using it extensively over the last few days with no issues.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Does anyone know how long the "free" version of FoxFi will work? There is some cryptic message about a "limit" on the free version, but what is it? Is it a time limit or certain data limit? I have been using it extensively over the last few days with no issues.

Data limit. Not sure how much but it's less than 500 MB for sure

Posted via Android Central App

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

It works just fine if you follow the instructions on the FoxFi play store site. I have the 4.3 with unlimited data and it worked perfectly by setting up the PIN as they instruct, then enter it incorrectly a bunch of times, enter your Google password and you are back to a swipe lock screen.
Sorry! I forgot to qoute your comment..I thought it would reply right under...
I set up a pin as instructed, and its now the pin to unlock my screen. Now I can't get it to go away. Is this the what your talking about? If I enter the pin in wrong a bunch i'll get the screen lock thing to go away? thanks for any help because its annoying to have to enter my pin everytime I need to use the phone. I ususally only use that feature when I'm out and about, not when I'm home and no danger of someone stealing my phone.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Sorry! I forgot to qoute your comment..I thought it would reply right under...
I set up a pin as instructed, and its now the pin to unlock my screen. Now I can't get it to go away. Is this the what your talking about? If I enter the pin in wrong a bunch i'll get the screen lock thing to go away? thanks for any help because its annoying to have to enter my pin everytime I need to use the phone. I ususally only use that feature when I'm out and about, not when I'm home and no danger of someone stealing my phone.

Once you enter the pin incorrectly a few times in rapid succession, you will get a message that says you now have to wait to reenter. Don't wait. While this screen is on, tap "forgot pin" at the bottom and you will be prompted to enter your Gmail and password. Once you do this the pin lock is disabled.

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Once you enter the pin incorrectly a few times in rapid succession, you will get a message that says you now have to wait to reenter. Don't wait. While this screen is on, tap "forgot pin" at the bottom and you will be prompted to enter your Gmail and password. Once you do this the pin lock is disabled.
poooh! I don't get the "forgot pin" at the bottom it just keeps saying..you entered in your pin incorrectly wait 30 sec. (no forgot pin message anywhere) So then do it again.. same thing. I'm up to .."you entered the incorrect pin 30 times wait 30 sec....."

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

It is at the very bottom of the phone screen. I apologize as now I remember when I did mine it was a PATTERN lock screen, not a pin. Enter your pin and switch to pattern lock. I set mine up as the letter S pattern. After entering it a bunch of times as just a straight line the language about entering my GOOGLE account and password showed up.

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

It is at the very bottom of the phone screen. I apologize as now I remember when I did mine it was a PATTERN lock screen, not a pin. Enter your pin and switch to pattern lock. I set mine up as the letter S pattern. After entering it a bunch of times as just a straight line the language about entering my GOOGLE account and password showed up.
TADA!!! That worked!! Thanks so much Davidoo1 :cool:

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

I keep checking and rechecking to see if it comes back..but its gone! When I tried the foxfi, it first had a warning that I needed a subscription from Verizon for this service, but foxfi connected and no troubles. I've tried it again and didn't get any other warnings..just connects like it used to.

mrnadir

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

The free version disconnects after some time. You can always force close foxfi once it has started because foxfi is done with its job once it has connected the hotspot. in that case you dont really need the paid version but if you like the app then might as well pay as I did.

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

the paid version is only a one time fee of 7.95 i think..well worth it for sure!

billsmax

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

It works great on 4.3 but won't work after your phone is updated to 4.4 KitKat

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

It works great on 4.3 but won't work after your phone is updated to 4.4 KitKat
I tried to see if my phone updated to that , and I see anything that says kitkat... mine is wierd it says MF1 to ML1 in the last software update that was done on the 7th i think

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site

KitKat is not yet available for the S3. If he is on KitKat it is a custom rom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia