Verizon S3 4.3 boot loader unlock

jasonn3

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm new at this, i tried to install cyagenmod on my 4.3 s3 for verizon and got nailed with , unatuthorized software, return to store. I got back with odin.

i had rooted my phone with saferoot, put cyagenmod on the sd and when i tried to boot into recovery mode to install i got screwed up..

i know i have to unlock the bootlocker and in 4.3 thats hard, any advice? i was on verizons 4.3 (which i installed OTA from verizon)

TACOrion

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
1. Return your phone to 4.3 stock
[FIRMWARE] Official VRUCML1 tar file - xda-developers
2. Re-root with Saferoot
[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3 - xda-developers
3. Install Safestrap and then you should be able to load CM into a Safestrap partition
[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha] - xda-developers

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

I have a question regarding the Safestrap procedure, the Safestrap forum alerts "CURRENTLY THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW." I'm not very savvy when it comes to rooting but I don't know if this applies to me. I have successfully rooted using Saferoot and when I go into Download mode it says that I've already flashed a custom ROM (when I actually didn't).

My purpose: I want to start flashing custom roms on my verizon gs3 on 4.3. I've followed different procedures to disable KNOX which has worked but it seems my bootloader is still locked. Any tips?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this applies to me.
If your phone was encrypted you'd know it - that's something that you would have to enable, and provide a password for.
it seems my bootloader is still locked.
Yep, it's locked due to Knox. You can use Safestrap to get around part of that limitation, although IIRC you can only load 4.3-based ROMs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I ran the safe root and I'm rooted, bootloader is still locked, I really need to change from the 4.3 OTA, my screen has been going black since the update, thats the reason why I decided to root hoping I could go with a custom rom possibly running 4.4. is there a fix for this yet.. I have the SCH-I535 running I535VRUCML1

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I ran the safe root and I'm rooted, bootloader is still locked, I really need to change from the 4.3 OTA, my screen has been going black since the update, thats the reason why I decided to root hoping I could go with a custom rom possibly running 4.4. is there a fix for this yet.. I have the SCH-I535 running I535VRUCML1

Seems Sammy really locked this down... I'm rooted too and disabled a bunch of stuff but battery life is still much worse than previous update. I had CM 10 running before but I went back to TW once the 4.3 hit (whyyyyy?) and now want to go back.

Posted via Android Central App

pastrami22

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
1. Return your phone to 4.3 stock
[FIRMWARE] Official VRUCML1 tar file - xda-developers
2. Re-root with Saferoot
[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3 - xda-developers
3. Install Safestrap and then you should be able to load CM into a Safestrap partition
[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha] - xda-developers

I followed this and have safestrap installed, and have CM10.2 setup in my ROM-Slot-1. When I reboot with it, it shows a what seems to be the CM version of safestrap before it goes to try and load the system, but ultimately it never fully loads (just a black screen). Anybody else encounter this?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I followed this and have safestrap installed, and have CM10.2 setup in my ROM-Slot-1.
I thought I saw some other information about Safestrap that made it seem like it only supports TouchWiz-based ROMs, so that would eliminate CM from the picture.

I think you'll have to dig through the Safestrap thread to get a real answer - sorry. (I haven't had to do any of this because I didn't accept the 4.3 OTA, so I'm just going based on what I've read.)

leptoid

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I followed this and have safestrap installed, and have CM10.2 setup in my ROM-Slot-1. When I reboot with it, it shows a what seems to be the CM version of safestrap before it goes to try and load the system, but ultimately it never fully loads (just a black screen). Anybody else encounter this?

Mine did that too... still figuring it out.

Zach Keller

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
From what I've read any ROM that you would like to run with safestrap needs to have the same firmware (i.e. I535VRUCML1) which doesn't appear in CM until CM11. I would suggest trying to use a d2lte nightly in rom-slot-1 though you shouldn't take my word for it because I haven't tried this method.

Brian Greiner

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Soooooo, I have 2 of the Verizon S3's. An old one with a flaky charging port and and new(er) one from Swappa that I am moving over to. I want to root both so that I can more thoroughly transfer everything (setting, apps, data, etc.). Both have bee OTA'd to 4.3, but neither seems to have anything resembling Knox installed in the 4.3 builds. Does that mean that the bootloader is still locked? Do I really have to Safestrap in this instance? Is Saferoot the only/best way to go? And is there any way to accomplish Saferoot on a Mac other than via Bootcamp or a VM?

Lots of question but I want to proceed delicately...

Thanks!

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I want to root both so that I can more thoroughly transfer everything (setting, apps, data, etc.).
What is it that you can't transfer on an unrooted phone? All of the things that you listed can be done using the Kies software and Helium: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=81VdQQKI
Both have bee OTA'd to 4.3, but neither seems to have anything resembling Knox installed in the 4.3 builds.
If you performed the update then Knox is there - do a search using your favorite file manager for 'knox'; or boot into Download mode and if you see 'Warranty Bit:' you have Knox.
Saferoot the only/best way to go?
It's the only way I'm aware of for Verizon phones.

I don't have a Mac, so hopefully someone that does will chime in, or you can ask in the Saferoot forum over on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk