My phone is acting screwy.. please help!

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a lot but I'm trying to get in as much detail as possible so someone may hopefully be able to help me. Thanks in advance for reading!

Everything was fine up til a couple days ago. Several of my apps wont open or just force close, getting that "unfortunately, *** has stopped" error. I can't open Google search without it crashing or one of my games (Words with Friends). i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling them to no avail. Sometimes I get other random stuff happening: FB force closes, it'll say that Google Search has stopped, even though I didn't actually open it, Google Play Services error, and even Settiings has crashed once.

Here's what I've done in the past 5 or so days: Made a TiB full backup (first time doing it) and moved all the files to my Dropbox, installed some Xposed mods, registered my number with Skype, downloaded a couple uccw skins and wallpapers, and updated apps like regular from the market/Xposed installer. Google DID receive an update but I haven't heard of any reports of people have problems with it, and that doesn't really explain the other problems. Oh yeah, one day before this all happened a process called migration/0 appeared in Better Batt Stats, draining a lot of battery and setting off a WatchdogCPU alert.

Other stuff going on: I've frozen quite a bit of bloat using TiB, Greenified a number of apps, have a couple active profiles with SetCPU, and I'm also running a decent amount of Xposed mods. Location reporting is on but Google Now was disabled. I also have a couple ad blocking apps running.

My device: Rooted Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) with stock JB 4.3 ROM.

If anyone has ANY ideas please help me. Thank you!! :D

-- David

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
"Several of my apps wont open or just force close, getting that "unfortunately, *** has stopped" error. I can't open Google search without it crashing or one of my games (Words with Friends)." [Tapatalk was screwed up so I couldn't quote your post]

Sounds like you've frozen or Greenified some critical app or service, and given the amount of stuff that you've messed with I couldn't hazard a guess. You could restore a Nandroid from before the problem occurred (you ARE making Nandroid backups, yes?) and then be cautious about your modifications.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I fixed the problems except for Google: Google Search crashes when I have an internet connection and try to search, Google Play Services crashes when I open Carbon. I get an error when I try to update apps on Google Play today.

Would it be fair to assume that it is the Google Play Services, Google Search, or Google Services Framework apps/services at fault?

(you ARE making Nandroid backups, yes?)

Haha, no. I wish I could say that I did. I'm new to rooting and never flashed a custom ROM, so I assumed that if I backed up my apps with Titanium Backup and data with Kies, I could use those to restore my phone. I'm assuming I'm wrong?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Would it be fair to assume that it is the Google Play Services, Google Search, or Google Services Framework apps/services at fault?
I wouldn't assume that, although it could be one of those. It might be some app that you turned into a system app (or vice-versa). Sorry, but when you start freezing and Greenifying and using Xposed, you'd better have a handle on what you've done or it can quickly go south.
I assumed that if I backed up my apps with Titanium Backup and data with Kies, I could use those to restore my phone. I'm assuming I'm wrong?
You're not wrong, but it's the long way to solve the problem. If you make a Nandroid backup it's a complete image (OS, apps, data, settings; the works). By using Kies and TiBu you still have to reload the OS first, run through the activation/setup, install stuff like TiBu, then restore, and things always get missed (like TouchWiz settings).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
If you make a Nandroid backup it's a complete image
Ah I see. I will have to learn how to do that. Luckily, I solved my Play Store problem.

So really the only problem I have right now is with the Google Search app. That And Play Services crashes when I open an app called Carbon.

Can I restore these apps manually? I mean, if I restore them using the backup I made with TiB will it just overwrite their current APKs, app data, etc? Or do I have to take extra steps than that. Oh, and I've never turned a system-app into a user app /vice-versa, the only thing I did was freeze bloat (using the list I got from the Rooting forum) and Greenify a few apps like Facebook and Maps.

Thank you for all your help on all my posts GSDer.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I mean, if I restore them using the backup I made with TiB will it just overwrite their current APKs, app data, etc?
It'll definitely overwrite the apk; if the backup included the app data (I don't remember TiBu backing that up, but I switched to Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup awhile back so I can't say) then that'll get overwritten too.

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Uh oh, doesn't look like the Helium backup I made backed up Google Search or Play Services. In fact, I thought Helium only backed up user apps.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In fact, I thought Helium only backed up user apps.
True; and not necessarily all of them, but it does capture the app data. TiBu may allow that, and of course a Nandroid will contain that.

If you can't make heads-or-tails of the situation you should just reload the firmware, make sure everything works, (make a Nandroid), then keep careful track of what you modify.

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
So, to wipe my phone i go into recovery mode and do a factory reset, yes? Will it already have the latest firmware on there and will i have to reroot?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So, to wipe my phone i go into recovery mode and do a factory reset, yes?
If you want to do a Factory Reset you can do it through Recovery, but I don't think that's going to solve your problem. It can't hurt to try, but I think you need to reload the firmware completely.
Will it already have the latest firmware on there and will i have to reroot?
Not sure what you're asking here. If you do a Factory Reset it'll have the same firmware that you currently have, and there's no need to re-root.

You can load firmware if you have custom recovery software installed, or you can use Odin to flash it - either way, if you load an already-rooted ROM then you don't need to re-root it. If you revert to the stock firmware then you'll have to root that.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Final question : how do i initiate this process?
Since you have the stock 4.3 firmware that means you're stuck with Knox-based builds - you can find the Verizon build
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2589314
or
http://samsung-updates.com/details/22638/Galaxy_S_3_Verizon/SCH-I535/VZW/I535VRUCML1.html

You'll need to use Odin (I think v3.09 is required) to install the firmware and once you're done you can root with Saferoot http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

BTW, after you load the firmware you should wipe the cache in Recovery mode and perform a Factory Reset. Then make a Nandroid, then use Saferoot and make another Nandroid (they're cheap - get in the habit).

Make sure all of your stuff is working between each step so that if something screws up you'll know where it happened.

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Since you have the stock 4.3 firmware that means you're stuck with Knox-based builds

All right man, all I had to do was a factory reset, which left my phone working fine. BUT i then tried to do a Nandroid backup (following instructions on a tech website) and got the lovely Yellow Triangle of Death. What the hell do I do now?

Edit: Never mind! I took care of it.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
i then tried to do a Nandroid backup (following instructions on a tech website) and got the lovely Yellow Triangle of Death. What the hell do I do now?

Edit: Never mind! I took care of it.
It would be good for you to post your solution so that someone else can learn.

I can't imagine why making a Nandroid would cause the yellow triangle to appear.

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I can't imagine why making a Nandroid would cause the yellow triangle to appear.

Well, I have never made one before so I had to look online for instructions. I used the instructions here: How to Create Nandroid Backup & Restore it to your Android Device

The instructions tell you to use CWM Rom Manager to boot into the CWM Recovery. As soon as I rebooted, the yellow triangle appeared along with the instructions to take the phone to Verizon. I don't know much about flashing custom roms and I figured that "since I'm not actually flashing a rom, I'll be fine!" I'm going to have to figure out another way to do it.

It would be good for you to post your solution so that someone else can learn.

Are you suggesting I do it in this post or create a new one in the other rooting forum?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The instructions tell you to use CWM Rom Manager to boot into the CWM Recovery.
Ha! That's your problem - ROM Manager/CWM are really unreliable anyway (TWRP is a better solution these days), but since you're running 4.3 stock firmware they're useless: although you can root 4.3 (using something like Saferoot), you can't install custom Recovery software (unless you're using something like Safestrap) - if you try, you'll bugger it up.
Are you suggesting I do it in this post or create a new one in the other rooting forum?
I see that you already created a new thread, which is the best way to handle it - great job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2