PLEASE HELP! Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue...

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S3 SCH-I535V Verizon model. After 4.3 update in December, as many know, the phone sucked. Apparently, this phone is now locked and won't let me downgrade to previous Jelly Bean version. I keep getting error in Odin trying to flash former version of JB.

But...I can't get a good download of the correct (latest 4.3) version from Sam Mobile firmware to try to get it back to 4.3 stock (I've tried 4 times). Samsung's firmware is always corrupted and won't unpack using Winrar or 7zip. I have a slow broadband connection that take hours to download VRUCML1 4.3 from Samsung firmware. Is that the problem?

I tried using Kies too and it won't connect to my phone. After going through the "firmware and initializing" process, it just says "connecting......." and never does connect. Tried on Win Xp desktop and Win 7 laptop.

Galaxy S3 will only power up in download mode (volume down + home + power). Trying to get to recovery mode (volume up + home + power) get "firmware upgrade encountered an issue..."

here's the Odin 3.07 fail message trying to flash previous Jelly bean firmware:

<ID:0/011> Added!!
<ID:0/011> Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/011> File analysis..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Initialzation..
<ID:0/011> Erase...
<ID:0/011> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/011> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/011> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/011> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/011> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/011> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/011> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

What do I do now? Thanks in advance, I really need some help here! :(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy S3 SCH-I535V Verizon model. After 4.3 update in December, as many know, the phone sucked. Apparently, this phone is now locked and won't let me downgrade to previous Jelly Bean version. I keep getting error in Odin trying to flash former version of JB.

But...I can't get a good download of the correct (latest 4.3) version from Sam Mobile firmware to try to get it back to 4.3 stock (I've tried 4 times). Samsung's firmware is always corrupted and won't unpack using Winrar or 7zip. I have a slow broadband connection that take hours to download VRUCML1 4.3 from Samsung firmware. Is that the problem?

I tried using Kies too and it won't connect to my phone. After going through the "firmware and initializing" process, it just says "connecting......." and never does connect. Tried on Win Xp desktop and Win 7 laptop.

Galaxy S3 will only power up in download mode (volume down + home + power). Trying to get to recovery mode (volume up + home + power) get "firmware upgrade encountered an issue..."

here's the Odin 3.07 fail message trying to flash previous Jelly bean firmware:

<ID:0/011> Added!!
<ID:0/011> Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/011> File analysis..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Initialzation..
<ID:0/011> Erase...
<ID:0/011> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/011> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/011> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/011> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/011> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/011> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/011> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

What do I do now? Thanks in advance, I really need some help here! :(

Welcome to the forums.
First off, there is a new security feature in the bootloader called Knox. If you are trying to install a 4.1 version of JB, Knox will stop that.
Second, I have 25 Mbps down and it takes me an hour to download from Samsung updates. So if yours is slower I am not really surprised.

Are you running Odin as Administrator?

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm signed in on my PC as administrator and I tried downloading from the link at RapidGator last night (estimated time: 6 hours). This morning, my download had the error "Unkown Network Error" and the file was half there.

I'm about to chuck this Samsung product out the window and go back to a basic flip phone, to be honest. I have been this pissed off about something in a long time. After Kies crashed my Win Xp Home computer twice yesterday I uninstalled it and my computer crashed this morning trying to download the firmware from Sam Mobile. I hate Samsung!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, by the way! Any other way to get the 4.3 firmware downloaded correctly? Will Verizon re-load the latest firmware for me if I take it to a store?

I just initiated download from Terrafile and it says 7 hours @ 35 KB/s...I'm not holding much hope for this attempt either. (sigh)

edit: for some reason the recent download just sped up to 179 KB/s and says 1 hour left...maybe...just maybe...

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, the download from Terafile successfully downloaded in an hour and a half and successfully flashed to my phone using Odin 3.07, so I'm back to stock 4.3 Jelly Bean. Not sure if I'll try going back to 4.1 or not, certainly not today. This had been extremefully aggravating. Thanks Samsung! for issuing a lousy update and blocking your customers from doing anything about it without going through aggravating, frustrating, stressful, warranty-voiding methods!

Samsung Sucks! I will not buy another Samsung device of any kind...ever. Will probably sell this S3 and go back to a flip-basic-phone, save money and live with less stress and aggravation from now on.

[removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, the download from Terafile successfully downloaded in an hour and a half and successfully flashed to my phone using Odin 3.07, so I'm back to stock 4.3 Jelly Bean. Not sure if I'll try going back to 4.1 or not, certainly not today. This had been extremefully aggravating. Thanks Samsung! for issuing a lousy update and blocking your customers from doing anything about it without going through aggravating, frustrating, stressful, warranty-voiding methods!

Samsung Sucks! I will not buy another Samsung device of any kind...ever. Will probably sell this S3 and go back to a flip-basic-phone, save money and live with less stress and aggravation from now on.

Anyone interested in purchasing a S3? Make me a reasonable offer. Includes Otterbox Defender with belt clip and 16GB SD card.

Are you close to an upgrade?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
In the future, if you have a Best Buy store in your area they all now have a Samsung kiosk where you can get the latest firmware installed for free. Works a little different than OTA and even kies as their method actually removes old firware first before flashing fresh version. They claim that this is a cleaner procedure eliminating the new flash from "adopting" files and such from original firmware. Evidently flashing via OTA and kies removes old and installs new at the same time leaving room for possible cross contamination of files? Didn't help with the problem I was having but the theory sounds logical.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In the future, if you have a Best Buy store in your area they all now have a Samsung kiosk where you can get the latest firmware installed for free. Works a little different than OTA and even kies as their method actually removes old firware first before flashing fresh version. They claim that this is a cleaner procedure eliminating the new flash from "adopting" files and such from original firmware. Evidently flashing via OTA and kies removes old and installs new at the same time leaving room for possible cross contamination of files? Didn't help with the problem I was having but the theory sounds logical.

that makes sense, but we'll stilll haved the Verizon/Samsung "removal of freewill" to deal with. a basic phone, saving money every month and being far less aggravated is still sounding pretty appealing. how did we all get by before smartphones? pretty damn well, i think. have they enriched our lives? well, they sure have enriched carrier's/manufacturer's lives and pockets!

other than a camara and gps, i can't think of why i should keep this POS, or, give them more money for another/the next greatest POS.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Was simply curious. At least you wouldn't have to be on a flip phone for long...lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

before 4.3 and all this aggravation, i would have been thinking of upgrading to a newer phone. but i'm sick of giving Verizon/Samsung good money for bad service/products/updates. unfortunately, and yes i am being pessimistic and rightly so at this point, any phone these days is just another computer that brings more problems than it solves, costs more and more in terms of dollars as well as stress in my life and in my wife's life (health), doesn't really do anything we can't live without and just doesn't make sense anymore. we got along fine before computers, before "smart"phones and i suspect once we get over the initial shock of not have a damn phone stuck in front of our faces all of our free time we just might enjoy life more and find meaningful and enjoyable things to replace these POS's. if i could get back all the time i've spent not just using, but troubleshooting all the stupid smartphones i've had in the past few years, i'd have more money, have gotten more done, enjoyed real life more (as opposed to cyber-life) and just might be a little or a lot more healthier and young feeling/looking!

i say adios to the Verizon/Samsung dead-end that is trying to get a decent, working smartphone and hello to LIFE!

How about this, Golfdriver97..."When I let go of what I have become, I become what I might be (or used to be pre-smartphone)! Tzu just might like my idea of cutting the "high"-tech umbilical, huh? lol

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Try this link Samsung Updates - Firmware Download Page

Edit: and once you get 4.3 working again, if you absolutely must have 4.1.2 you can look at Galaxy S3 4.3 update questions and issues! - Page 12 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

It seems this process does not work unless I recompile Heimdall for Win Xp or something or other, that I do not understand at all. So, I guess flashing back to a previous version of JB or even ICS for that matter on my SCH-I535 S3 is not possible? Even after successfully flashing 4.3 back on mine (finally), the browser crashes all the time, freezes and other aggravating 4.3 issues. So, a complete wipe/factory reset does not resolve the new problems brought upon us by 4.3 and Verizon/Samsung's genius upgrade. GRRRRRRRR!

Rooting doesn't work on 4.3 either. Well, I think you can root, but not install custom ROMs due to locked bootloader... so Verizon/Samsung have tied our hands behind our backs and continue beating us with a rubber hose. What is the point of paying them for this misery? Does anyone else feel used/abused/brainwashed/robbed/denied the right to happiness as a result of the almighty smartphone? I sure do!

Oh, and now my phone locks up my Win Xp pc when connecting via USB to backup some photos/files. (yes, I've tried the resolution posted about putting phone in download mode and then connection to pc, didn't work, pc locked up again) Upon rebooting my Xp machine, no usb devices work (rebooted multiple times). Continued/unnecessary stress as a direct result of Verizon's update...just what I needed this morning. I'm just about to not only get a basic phone, but get it from another carrier.

And...to add more insult to injury...my wife (whose name the Verizon account is in) thinks if we downgrade my line to a basic phone or make any other device/plan changes to our account, we lose our unlimited data plans on all devices (2 currently) and can't get that back...ever. FU Verizon!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
before 4.3 and all this aggravation, i would have been thinking of upgrading to a newer phone. but i'm sick of giving Verizon/Samsung good money for bad service/products/updates. unfortunately, and yes i am being pessimistic and rightly so at this point, any phone these days is just another computer that brings more problems than it solves, costs more and more in terms of dollars as well as stress in my life and in my wife's life (health), doesn't really do anything we can't live without and just doesn't make sense anymore. we got along fine before computers, before "smart"phones and i suspect once we get over the initial shock of not have a damn phone stuck in front of our faces all of our free time we just might enjoy life more and find meaningful and enjoyable things to replace these POS's. if i could get back all the time i've spent not just using, but troubleshooting all the stupid smartphones i've had in the past few years, i'd have more money, have gotten more done, enjoyed real life more (as opposed to cyber-life) and just might be a little or a lot more healthier and young feeling/looking!

i say adios to the Verizon/Samsung dead-end that is trying to get a decent, working smartphone and hello to LIFE!

How about this, Golfdriver97..."When I let go of what I have become, I become what I might be (or used to be pre-smartphone)! Tzu just might like my idea of cutting the "high"-tech umbilical, huh? lol

Tzu would probably agree.

I myself got fed up with Samsung and the S4, so when I could upgrade, I wen to the Moto X, and I love it. A few months after, I went to the Nexus 5. Love both devices, but love the X more.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Tzu would probably agree.

I myself got fed up with Samsung and the S4, so when I could upgrade, I wen to the Moto X, and I love it. A few months after, I went to the Nexus 5. Love both devices, but love the X more.

So, you already have 4.4 update and on Verizon too? Well, maybe Verizon should distance themselves from Samsung if their lousy/slow updates are manufacturer related only. Still, their repeated denial and the way their customer service handles the 4.3 update issues are just plain negligent, in my opinion. Any carrier/manufacturer that issues firmware that can't be downgraded when there are major problems deserves to lose business and pay for their screw-ups.

Moto X looks like a nice phone, but I'm not giving Verizon more money for another new phone. Until they do something to show responsibility and that they care about their customers that are suffering with all the 4.3 bugs, I'm done with them. My contract has been up for awhile and it is no problem to dump them.

They promised yesterday to contact Samsung and have a supervisor call me with some solutions for downgrading back to a stable version of Jelly Bean. Since it seems common knowledge online that the bootloader is locked, doesn't that even further show they will say anything to appease unhappy customers? And to add insult, the rep swears her and her daughter have no problems whatsoever with their Galaxy phone and that I should not believe all the complainers posts I read in online forums. Not really the kinds of things I want/need to hear when I'm calling to complain about real, stressful, aggravating problems with our phones. Very unprofessional.

But, glad you're enjoying yours! We used to. :(

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I should actually clarify: my previous phone was an S3. I would have continued to support Samsung, but, when I saw how much crap their version of the OS was, that's when I decided to support another manufacturer.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's another possible course of action. Long story short, after having continuous connectivity issues with my S3 and continuous attempts to resolve my issue, which involved EVERYTHING from Sim card replacements to replacement phones, hours upon hours on the phone with tech support, posting on this forum, etc.etc.etc., Verizon reluctantly agreed to upgrade me to an S4! (Please note that I, like you, was blaming all my issues on the OS, but after much research found that most everything I was experiencing was primarily related to the S3. Personally witnessed other S3s that WORKED) Of course I had to jump through every hoop they put in front of me, but in the end, after refusing to abandon my theory that for all the money I give both Verizon and Samsung that I should have a PHONE THAT WORKS, they agreed to the upgrade. But I was the one that had to bring that option up and continue to bring it up and eventually let them know that my next phone call was going to be to a different carrier I was of course bluffing and like some kind of techno poker player had to hold to my threat.
And I can already tell what you're thinking. Why should anyone have to go through all this to get a phone that works?!!! Well, the answer is that I'm a hard head and refuse to be poo poo'd by some mega corporation. At some point it became personal and I became Verizon's biggest pain in the ***.
So my advice to you is to stand your ground! It's important to remember (and remind Verizon) that WE are the customers and they need us!
I don't know that I necessarily "won", but I feel better for not just giving in.
Also remember the old saying that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and I stayed with that theme all the way through the whole process. I was painfully calm, polite, patient but firm and consistent. It wasn't until my last phone call that I had to change my attitude and for the rep I was working with to be able to look back and see my history of patience and perseverance helped my cause. I believe if not for my consistently "good behavior" they would have dismissed me and let me terminate my contract.
I'm not sure if this story helps your cause or not, but if it helps ANYONE then it was worth posting!
Good luck, keep us posted, and remember the song by Toto, "Hold the Line"!

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So, you already have 4.4 update and on Verizon too?
He's definitely NOT on Verizon - he mentioned that one of the phones he tried was the Nexus (assuming he meant Nexus 5) and that won't work on the Verizon network.

(Plus, his signature says he's with Sprint) :p

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

cguymartin

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
woah dude. if running into complications with installing "unauthorized software" is too much for you to handle, perhaps it is best that you leave the tinkering to the developers? just a thought...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol