Issue: Touch Screen becomes unresponsive (Verizon GS3)

rabbiferret

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello GS3 users, I'm hoping that someone can help or lend some insight to the issue I'm currently experiencing with my GS3. It's been going on for a little while, but wasn't really an issue until recently when my power button stopped working, and I could no longer lock the screen. Here's the scenario:

Intermittently, the touch screen stops working, and becomes unresponsive (all the time, not while using a particular or consistent app). The display continues to work, and apps function, but I lose the ability to do anything aside from pressing the home/volume and until recently the power/lock screen button. Prior to the power button issue, I simply had to lock the screen, and then reactivate (using the same button), to "reset" the touch screen, and allow me to use it once more. I believe that the massive over use of the power button because of this issue lead to it's ultimate failure.

I've since installed "Button Savior" to lock my screen, but when the touch screen becomes unresponsive I have to wait until the screen times out before being able to once again use my phone (or pull the battery). As you might imagine, this is no way to live.

To help with any software questions, below is a list of some details:

Model: SCH-I535
Android 4.3
Hardware Version I535.10
Installed Apps:
Amazon, AppMgr III, Bracode Scanner, Facebook, Flipboard, Lookout, Maps, My Vzn, Open table, Pandora, Shazam, Twitter, Adobe Reader, Advanced Task killer, Button Savior, Chrome, Google Cloud Print, Droidlight, Easy Voice Recorder, ESPN Fantasy Footbal, Flow Free & Bridges, FoxFi, Gears & Guts, Gmail, Google Goggles, Google+, GTA: iFruit, Hands-Only CPR, HP Print Service, Podcast Addict, SiMi Clock Widget, Skymap, Spot a Stroke Fast, Simpsons: Tapped Out, Tumblr, Urban Spoon, Fios mobile, Waze.

Unfortunately, I also have the normal Samsung/Vzn Bloatware as well (not listed)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't performed a system cache wipe in Recovery mode, that's the place to start.

Next would be booting into Safe mode http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242

If that fails to produce any change in behavior then you're looking at Factory Reset.

I'm guessing that none of these are going to pay any dividends in your situation and that you'll end up having to replace the screen assembly - here are a couple of sources:
http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-s3-gt-i9300-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

rabbiferret

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks GSDer, I wiped the cache in recovery mode, and with any luck that will clear up the issue. The thing that stands out to me is the inconsistency of the problem. 90% of the time the touch screen works well and without issue or lag, but that other 10% of unresponsiveness (but continued display) makes me believe that the issue is a soft/firmware issue, and not the hardware itself. I appreciate the advice. I'll update this thread in the next few days if the issue clears up or continues.

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
This just started happening to me yesterday as well. One of the times it happened my phone rebooted on its own so I'm with you that it appears to be a software issue of some sort. Please be sure to come back and update whether clearing the cache worked for you?

Thanks!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Please be sure to come back and update whether clearing the cache worked for you?
Clearing the cache is very easy and comes with no negative impact - try it and see!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk