Missing pictures from SD card & deleted apps? SD card problems

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
A couple months ago I took some pictures with an app called Cymera. I have configured the app to store my pictures to my SD card. My battery was low so I switched my phone off. When I went home and put my phone to charge, I searched for the photos and realized that they were not there. Now, I assumed that this was a one time problem because I have had this phone for a year and have never encountered this problem before so I did not bother with it too much. However, twice for the week I have taken photos again and when I switch my phone off and put it back on, they are not there. One of these times, I took a photo and tried to edit it and it was not opening on the editing app so I tried to restart my phone and see if this was the problem and when I checked, the picture was entirely gone.

Also, three times I have clicked on an application from my home screen and I received a message saying "App not installed" and when I go to application manager, the app is not there, but instead is an Android symbol and a little card which says SD and I cannot remember what the name is but I believe it is "com.(the name of the app).(something)". When I reinstall the app, everything is the same on it. I believe this has something to do with my SD card as well because I had moved these apps to my SD card using the built in option on the phone.

Right now I am trying to recover the pictures to no avail. However, I'd just really like to figure out the source of this problem and what can I do to prevent it from happening in the future. Please help.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
Have you tried a different camera app to see if it's not just Cymera?
For the apps, are you storing them on the SD card? I know that most apps aren't able to be stored on the SD card, which would explain why it's not showing up as installed on the device.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello :)
Well I hardly use the regular Camera app.
I thought that it could just be the Cymera app but since my apps started uninstalling themselves, I thought that it was a problem with the SD card itself.
Concerning the apps, I didn't store them on the SD card really. Under my application manager, for some apps, I have the option to "Move to SD card" or "Move to Device Storage". It's not exactly storing them on the SD card, it just stores some data I guess? And I had lots of apps "moved" to my SD caard ever since the update which allowed me to and it's only recently starting to give me problems. It's so frustrating. :'(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello :)
Well I hardly use the regular Camera app.
I thought that it could just be the Cymera app but since my apps started uninstalling themselves, I thought that it was a problem with the SD card itself.
Concerning the apps, I didn't store them on the SD card really. Under my application manager, for some apps, I have the option to "Move to SD card" or "Move to Device Storage". It's not exactly storing them on the SD card, it just stores some data I guess? And I had lots of apps "moved" to my SD caard ever since the update which allowed me to and it's only recently starting to give me problems. It's so frustrating. :'(

That might be your problem with the apps then. Most apps don't support SD cards, so I'd try just storing them in the internal storage to see if it still happens.
For the camera, test out the stock app and see if that persists as well.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your SD card is getting corrupted. Time to backup all of your pictures and anything else important; move all of the apps back to the internal memory; then reformat the SD card in the phone.

Personally, I wouldn't trust it after this - this is all too common.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
That might be your problem with the apps then. Most apps don't support SD cards, so I'd try just storing them in the internal storage to see if it still happens.
For the camera, test out the stock app and see if that persists as well.

I read somewhere on my phone that all apps didn't support the move to SD feature but the apps that did, would have the option to do so so I assumed that these apps (Viber, Netflix, and Wattpad) were capable of moving to the SD without problems. I did take your advice and returned all my apps to my internal storage. Will monitor it and see if it messes up again. :)
And for the camera, I just took a picture with each app and the picture itself is like halfway "cut off"? by a solid gray colour thing but in my thumbnail, the pictures are fine. :/

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like your SD card is getting corrupted. Time to backup all of your pictures and anything else important; move all of the apps back to the internal memory; then reformat the SD card in the phone.

Personally, I wouldn't trust it after this - this is all too common.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I actually thought exactly this but I wasn't sure if I should have considered it "corrupted" but I did back up everything. Will reformatting fix this problem or will I need to get a new SD card? And how do I properly format it?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I actually thought exactly this but I wasn't sure if I should have considered it "corrupted" but I did back up everything. Will reformatting fix this problem or will I need to get a new SD card? And how do I properly format it?
Doing it in your phone is the best option, as it will use the correct format for the SD card. If you do it in your PC, select FAT32.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere on my phone that all apps didn't support the move to SD feature but the apps that did, would have the option to do so so I assumed that these apps (Viber, Netflix, and Wattpad) were capable of moving to the SD without problems. I did take your advice and returned all my apps to my internal storage. Will monitor it and see if it messes up again. :)
And for the camera, I just took a picture with each app and the picture itself is like halfway "cut off"? by a solid gray colour thing but in my thumbnail, the pictures are fine. :/
Hmm, that's weird. Are you taking the pictures in HDR? I know the same thing happens to me if I use that shooting mode, but it's fine in any other.

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Missing pictures from SD card & deleted apps? SD card problems

Hmm, that's weird. Are you taking the pictures in HDR? I know the same thing happens to me if I use that shooting mode, but it's fine in any other.

Nope it was just a normal picture. I think there's something definitely wrong with my SD card now because I took a picture and some error came up about it being unable to save to my SD card (this is with the stock camera btw) and just before, my Whatsapp crashed when my battery was low and deleted my conversations and said the chats were corrupted.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing, if I reformat the card and restore all my files and pictures and whatnot to it, will it become corrupted again?

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

So I just reformatted it on my phone and it still appears that there is data on the card because there is only 38 GB free.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

So I just reformatted it on my phone and it still appears that there is data on the card because there is only 38 GB free.

And that's a 64GB card right?

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Yep

So I downloaded EaseUs Partition Master Free to format my card and when I selected the card and formatted it, it didn't work so I deleted the partition (I have no idea what a partition is and Google isn't helping) and I don't think that did anything so now I'm wiping the partition. Will this help? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a new memory card? :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yep

So I downloaded EaseUs Partition Master Free to format my card and when I selected the card and formatted it, it didn't work so I deleted the partition (I have no idea what a partition is and Google isn't helping) and I don't think that did anything so now I'm wiping the partition. Will this help? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a new memory card? :(

Partition is just another word for a "section" of the storage. Try wiping the partition of the SD card and see if that formats it properly. I doubt you'll have to get a new one.

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Partition is just another word for a "section" of the storage. Try wiping the partition of the SD card and see if that formats it properly. I doubt you'll have to get a new one.

So after it took more than an hour to wipe, it's still like this AND I feel like a total fool because I think my adapter is locked and I just wasted precious hours of my life. So I just safely removed it and slide the lock thing up and plugged it back in and it's not recognized. Fun night.

Attachments

• Untitled222.png
    Untitled222.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

So after it took more than an hour to wipe, it's still like this AND I feel like a total fool because I think my adapter is locked and I just wasted precious hours of my life. So I just safely removed it and slide the lock thing up and plugged it back in and it's not recognized. Fun night.

Does your phone recognize it? If it does, use a file manager to see what's taking up space in the card, and then erase everything your don't need. I'd recommend ES File Explorer.

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Does your phone recognize it? If it does, use a file manager to see what's taking up space in the card, and then erase everything your don't need. I'd recommend ES File Explorer.

Yep my phone does. I had to restart my computer for it to recognize. Another thing, I cannot delete the files on my SD (at least not from my computer), I only have the option of copying. Maybe this is why it is not deleting? What's causing this?
Btw, on my computer this is what it says

Untitled222.png

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep my phone does. I had to restart my computer for it to recognize. Another thing, I cannot delete the files on my SD (at least not from my computer), I only have the option of copying. Maybe this is why it is not deleting? What's causing this?
Btw, on my computer this is what it says

View attachment 119398

If the SD card still has the write protection enabled (The lock is on) it won't let you delete anything. So make sure that is turned off.

If formatting doesn't work, I'd suggest using CHKDSK to fix the corruption of the card. I made a guide on it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=359981

Maynduh

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I slid the lock thing up which is supposed to unlock it :/ How else can I remove the write protection? And I'm going to try that now. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781