Why does my phone use so much data?

panteramatt

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I keep going over my 6GB data plan. I only use the internet at my work about 1 hour a day. At home if I use it Im on wifi. Rarely use it during the weekend. So what else uses data? Texting pics? GPS? Anyway to lower it?

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I keep going over my 6GB data plan. I only use the internet at my work about 1 hour a day. At home if I use it Im on wifi. Rarely use it during the weekend. So what else uses data? Texting pics? GPS? Anyway to lower it?

My best solution? Install 3G Watchdog (Preferably Pro as it breaks down into alot of detail) and monitor via that. Texting images and GPS should use little to no data...

panteramatt

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
My phone says Ive used 1.55GB of data from april 27 til now. It also shows tons of apps running. Whats a good app killer to download to shut them all down til I need them? Also, why is verizon saying I used 6gb and my phone says 1.5?

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
My phone says Ive used 1.55GB of data from april 27 til now. It also shows tons of apps running. Whats a good app killer to download to shut them all down til I need them? Also, why is verizon saying I used 6gb and my phone says 1.5?

There is Clean Master. However I would recommend installing All-In-One Toolbox and Memory Booster (both the paid version) and the free version of 3G Watchdog. I would recommend paying for all of these however. Honestly just look into 3G watchdog as this will give you detailed info on your usage. Also, remember that if you have a plan with eg. Unlimited Facebook your phone will count that data usage, but your plan won't.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You may not need any managing apps for this. From your home screen, just go into the main settings and look at the data section. It will tell you what app is using what. From there, you can go into those apps and change their settings, most likely. Memory boosters aren't recommended because of how Android handles Ram. Long story short, Android is meant to keep Ram full, so when a booster clears it, Android just loads it back up. This also increases battery consumption.

If your phone is reporting way less than the carrier, you may want to call and see if they can identify the issue. One thing I can think of off hand is if you're sending a lot of picture texts/MMS messages. Those are only sent via mobile data and will count towards your data allotment (it doesn't fall under an unlimited text plan, and will not send/receive via Wi-Fi). Not sure if the phone would know to count that or not. One thing you should start doing until you get a handle on it is to completely turn off mobile data whenever you can, especially on WiFi. That would prevent anything from accessing it, period.

panteramatt

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Im currnently running easy task killer. I select it to stop all the apps that are running but when I go back to check they are all running again. Also, how do you turn off 3/4g?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Im currnently running easy task killer. I select it to stop all the apps that are running but when I go back to check they are all running again.

That's because of how Android operates. This explains in more detail.

http://www.howtogeek.com/127388/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-use-a-task-killer-on-android/

Also, how do you turn off 3/4g?
There should be a data setting in the main phone settings to do this. Not exactly sure how on the S3 because I don't own one. You could also look in Play for toggle widgets to do it quickly on the fly (I use one simply called Data On-Off), and I think some managers can do it automatically based on triggers like when on Wi-Fi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs