Unusual Map problem?

MRB13

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Just got a Verizon Galaxy S3. It was my wifes until she upgraded to the S5. She had this issue, and in spite of a factory reset, I do to.

When I look at google maps, I am shown to be 100 - 1020 yard east of my real location. I have tried having all gps and location services on, and I have tried shutting them off 1 at a time. I have taken the battery out, and as I said also did a complete factory reset.

It does the same thing inside out out, regardless of the weather.

Any help would be appreciated.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Are you outside when you're having this problem? GPS requires a line-of-sight to the satellites so it may not be very useful inside. You should start by checking your GPS accuracy first - you can use something like GPS Test: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&token=K_vdpvOQ to verify that the GPS is working correctly.

When you're inside, do you have a Wi-Fi connection? Supposedly you'll get a better location fix if you're using Wi-Fi, but that really depends on whether your provider is using an accurate address for your cable modem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MRB13

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am outside.

When I used GPS test, it took close to 10 minutes to find 18 satellites and had a "poor" connection.

Thanks for the reply...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's not good - it should only take a minute or two to lock on to a dozen or so satellites. It's possible that your GPS antenna is loose - it's been quite a long time since someone has complained about this, but IIRC there's a way to tighten the screws so that you can get an accurate fix.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

guitarmantyler

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. I tried the screw tightening fix and even tried to bend up my gps antennae a bit. The issue wasn't resolved unfortunately. I'm hoping the upgrade soon to be released resolves the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

MRB13

May 23, 2014
Visit site
the gps status & toolbox app seems to have fixed the gps issue. In stead of 100+ feet off, the map shows me either right on, or at most 10 feet off.

Hope this helps someone...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta